PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Next man up, for one game... Jacob Hollister!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dorsett and White are likely to get the additional targets.

Or Lewis.

Lewis has seen only 16 tgts in 12 games this season (with a 94% catch rate). Last season, he saw 24 in 8 games (with a 71% catch rate), and in 2015, he saw 50 tgts (72% catch rate and a 10.8 ypc) in 8 games before he got hurt.

Yea that was funny. Sometimes BB needs to get over himself. Hollister has been playing big time football for years. Its not like he taught him how to read and write.
Your take on this is bizarre. BB gave a honest, complete answer. The whole get over himself comment is garbage in this situation.

Reilly came in from nowhere to playing a good deal amount of snaps on D

M Flowers was a ST guy only untill coming in here

Hollister has had chances already with all those injuries and didnt capitalize on them... i'm on team Hollister is a jag until proven otherwise... to me, he looks like a guy who doesnt have a whole lot of athleticism and hasnt figured out the nuances of the offense to be relied on.

Your take on this is bizarre. BB gave a honest, complete answer. The whole get over himself comment is garbage in this situation.

OK so you agree that Hollister knew nothing about playing TE before coming to the NFL?

OK so you agree that Hollister knew nothing about playing TE before coming to the NFL?
BB said almost everything, not everything. Since the way routes are run and blocking techniques are completely different in the Pat's system than the way they are run at Hollister's college program, his statement was completely accurate. This is without even considering the vocabulary and pre and post snap reads that the Pat's system requires. If you're going to throw out things like someone has to "get over themself", it might be worth trying to understand what they're saying from their perspective first.

Yea that was funny. Sometimes BB needs to get over himself. Hollister has been playing big time football for years. Its not like he taught him how to read and write.
Bill's a perfectionist. A guy can get by on raw talent in college, and sometimes in the NFL. but Bill's always going to be a stickler for technique. Hollister seems to have the talent, but what Bill is saying here is that his technique was very raw, which it was, and it's getting a lot better because Hollister knows he ain't gonna play if it doesn't.

Bill's a perfectionist. A guy can get by on raw talent in college, and sometimes in the NFL. but Bill's always going to be a stickler for technique. Hollister seems to have the talent, but what Bill is saying here is that his technique was very raw, which it was, and it's getting a lot better because Hollister knows he ain't gonna play if it doesn't.
I agree, but I think that raw might not be the best term in this case. Raw, to me, means totally new, without experience in a thing. In this case, he probably learned techniques that are completely different and need to be unlearned. This can slow the initial learning process, but can help create a more broad understanding in the long term.

BB said almost everything, not everything. Since the way routes are run and blocking techniques are completely different in the Pat's system than the way they are run at Hollister's college program, his statement was completely accurate. This is without even considering the vocabulary and pre and post snap reads that the Pat's system requires. If you're going to throw out things like someone has to "get over themself", it might be worth trying to understand what they're saying from their perspective first.

OK so you are in BBs mind and assume to know exactly what he is thinking?

I think you need to pause a little here.

Reilly came in from nowhere to playing a good deal amount of snaps on D

M Flowers was a ST guy only untill coming in here

Hollister has had chances already with all those injuries and didnt capitalize on them... i'm on team Hollister is a jag until proven otherwise... to me, he looks like a guy who doesnt have a whole lot of athleticism and hasnt figured out the nuances of the offense to be relied on.

The Pats saw Trevor Reilly in game action when they played the Jets in 2014 & 2015. The Pats also had him on the PS for two months just last season, until the 'Fins poached him in December (so the Pats played against him again in wk-17 last season).

Though Reilly was primarily a special teamer with the Jets, in just 119 total defensive snaps over his two seasons there, he posted 19 tackles and a sack as an OLB in their 3-4 defense.

The Pats also played against Flowers on both defense and ST when he was a rookie with Cinci in 2014.

Anyway, both of those guys had three seasons of NFL experience and at least some live-fire NFL scrimmage snaps on defense (in addition to extensive ST work) before coming to the Pats.

In contrast, Hollister is a rookie who came out of a (relatively) small school program where he did well as a receiver, but in a somewhat different offense. He's pretty much the same size as both Allen and Develin (6'3"/~250), but put up significantly better athletic testing numbers than they did.

Would love to see more of what Hollister can do. Seems like a solid player all around and since he's young, should have a relatively high ceiling.
I keep being curious about the other Hollister as well. Glad he has stuck around on the practice squad, but with Dorsett being somewhat ineffective, I would like to see what he can do.

He made an unbelievable catch earlier in the year when he got totally laid out and held on. Kid has some ability.

4 receptions, ~50 yards on Monday night.

Well, he was an unrecruited high school quarterback, then played for a community college where he started to transition to a new position. That got him to Wyoming, where he had to bulk up and learn on the job. He distinguished himself as a senior largely with downfield pass-catching, in an offense that schemed to get him open in that manner.

So yeah, at the start the season he may well have been the single rawest tight end in the NFL.

You are doing the same thing I am. You are assuming that is what he meant.

While very open minded and collaborative I do think when it comes to his program and his way of doing things and how they should be done, hes a bit righteous- and rightfully so.

Thats my opinion and I'm going to leave it at that.

OK so you are in BBs mind and assume to know exactly what he is thinking?

I think you need to pause a little here.
One can never know for sure, but the attempt to truly try to understand what another means can provide great insight. IMO, it is a prerequisite before any criticism is leveled. This goes for all people, not just those proven to be among the best ever at what they do. In this particular case, it was very easy to understand, if not agree with, the idea that he needs to be taught almost everything the Pats do.

People are quick to call BB "arrogant" or say he's being "cute", but given his extreme adaptability, his ego is far more in check than most.

Look at the perspective I presented. From a Pats perspective, he has to learn almost everything TEs do in that system. It's fine to disagree with such a statement, but assuming another needs to "get over themselves" for holding the opposite opinion betrays a rush to judgement.

Last edited:
You are doing the same thing I am. You are assuming that is what he meant.

While very open minded and collaborative I do think when it comes to his program and his way of doing things and how they should be done, hes a bit righteous- and rightfully so.

Thats my opinion and I'm going to leave it at that.
Given BBs extreme adaptability, calling him righteous in his approach seems absurd to me. Sure, he wants things taught and done uniformly and consistently, but he constantly re-evaluations and changes how he wants things done. I think your perception of BB is deeply flawed and significantly taints your perception of his behavior.

Well, he was an unrecruited high school quarterback, then played for a community college where he started to transition to a new position. That got him to Wyoming, where he had to bulk up and learn on the job. He distinguished himself as a senior largely with downfield pass-catching, in an offense that schemed to get him open in that manner.

So yeah, at the start the season he may well have been the single rawest tight end in the NFL.
He certainly could have meant that. He also could not have

Given BBs extreme adaptability, calling him righteous in his approach seems absurd to me. Sure, he wants things taught and done uniformly and consistently, but he constantly re-evaluations and changes how he wants things done. I think your perception of BB is deeply flawed and significantly taints your perception of his behavior.

One can never know for sure, but the attempt to truly try to understand what another means can provide great insight. IMO, it is a prerequisite before any criticism is leveled. This goes for all people, not just those proven to be among the best ever at what they do. In this particular case, it was very easy to understand, if not agree with, the idea that he needs to be taught almost everything the Pats do.

People are quick to call BB "arrogant" or say he's being "cute", but given his extreme adaptability, his ego is far more in check than most.

Look at the perspective I presented. From a Pats perspective, he has to learn almost everything TEs do in that system. It's fine to disagree with such a statement, but assuming another needs to "get over themselves" for holding the opposite opinion betrays a rush to judgement.

Look- BB is the one who said it. Not me. If you want to interpret what he said go for it. I'm interpreting it my way based on observing him for 17 years. To coach me in my approach how to evaluate him is not welcome.

BB has an ego and he deserves to have one. He has a strong conviction of what his program is all about and what he should be. He deserves that too. He thinks Hollister knew almost nothing before he came here and its in black and white.

I'm done being lectured by you. Good day.

Look- BB is the one who said it. Not me. If you want to interpret what he said go for it. I'm interpreting it my way based on observing him for 17 years. To coach me in my approach how to evaluate him is not welcome.

BB has an ego and he deserves to have one. He has a strong conviction of what his program is all about and what he should be. He deserves that too. He thinks Hollister knew almost nothing before he came here and its in black and white.

I'm done being lectured by you. Good day.
I can understand if one disagreed with BB's assessment that Hollister needed to learn almost everything. Although I haven't seen an effective argument that supports that opinion, it is valid. It is the complete dismissal of what BB said and saying he has to "get over himself" that I took issue with.

Significant thought was given to understanding your perspective which resulted in such specific feedback. I recommend cooling off, and rereading our exchange.

My buddy sent this to me the other day. Seems appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News