PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New York Post: Mangini hot for the Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cramden

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
http://www.nypost.com/sports/jets/60346.htm

January 14, 2006 -- DENVER — If the Jets want Eric Mangini as their next head coach, the feeling is very mutual, The Post learned exclusively last night.

Although Bill Belichick has been trying to talk Mangini out of taking the Jets job, Mangini will make his own decision, and that decision would be to accept a fair Jets' offer if one is, indeed, made.

The Jets' heavy-breathing interest in the Patriots' defensive coordinator and Belichick disciple is one of the worst-kept secrets in the NFL. The Jets are scheduled to interview Mangini tomorrow near Foxborough, Mass., and he's believed to be at the top of the team's wish list.

The level of Mangini's interest in the Jets has been a question of significance that's been raised in recent days.

One question has been whether Belichick, who has no love for the Jets, the team he jilted in 2000, would try to talk Mangini out of taking the Jets job if offered.

Another has been whether Mangini's loyalty to Belichick, who has raised him in his NFL career to date, would keep him in New England awaiting an offer from another team down the road.

The answers to those questions are "Yes" and "No."

Yes, Belichick already has started whispering in Mangini's ear that the Jets job is not a good one and he should wait for a better opportunity.

And, no, Mangini will not listen to Belichick on this issue and is prepared to accept the Jets' job if it's offered to him, provided they don't completely low-ball him financially. Mangini, who makes between $600,000 and $700,000 a year with New England, probably would need to be offered $2 million per year. Herman Edwards was making a shade less than $2 million.

"From what I hear, this is not about whether Mangini will turn [the Jets] down," a current NFL assistant coach told The Post. "There is zero chance of Belichick talking him out of it. That's not happening. From what I'm hearing, if they offer him the job, he's going to end up taking it."

Jets owner Woody Johnson is borderline obsessed with the Patriots' way of doing things and is believed to covet Mangini despite the fact Johnson initially preferred a head coach with previous experience. It appears Johnson is willing to make an exception in this case.

For those skeptical about Mangini's age (he'll be 35 on Jan. 19) and one year of experience as a coordinator, there is recent precedent. The Jaguars hired Jack Del Rio after one year as defensive coordinator in Carolina.

The Jets obviously are rooting hard for the Patriots to lose to the Broncos tonight, because it would expedite their proceedings with Mangini. If New England wins, the Jets cannot make a formal offer to him until the Patriots' season is complete.

Either way, we should know a lot more about the Jets' direction in the coming days.

Should New England win and the Jets drag on their search, that would be a clear sign they have a handshake agreement with Mangini, much the same way the Browns did with Romeo Crennel last year.

Should New England lose and Mangini is, indeed, the Jets' man and wants in, the Jets could have a press conference announcing their new head coach by midweek.

The Jets have interviewed six candidates (Jim Haslett, Joe Vitt, Donnie Henderson, Mike Heimerdinger, Mike Westhoff and Tim Lewis), and have Mangini and Mike Tice (Monday) scheduled.

Heimerdinger said yesterday of his interview, "I think it went well. They didn't kick me out after 15 minutes."

[email protected]

By the time I got through the second line I knew this was a hack job. What a piece of garbage! I doubt very strongly that the writer or his source have any idea what, if anything, BB is advising Mangini. This is nothing but a painfully obvious attempt to continue the soap opera of the JEsts.

I hope you're right. Cannizzaro doesn't hold much cred with most Jet fans. He was basically Herm Edwards' mouth piece throughout his tenure with the Jets leading to mostly unbalanced reporting on his part.

PatsChick87 said:
By the time I got through the second line I knew this was a hack job. What a piece of garbage! I doubt very strongly that the writer or his source have any idea what, if anything, BB is advising Mangini. This is nothing but a painfully obvious attempt to continue the soap opera of the JEsts.

You read my mind. That's exactly what I thought. But it's been a natural assumption made by the media that BB will/ is trying to talk Mangini out of taking the job because of what happened to him at Cleveland. But the people who know him best have said that BB wouldn't do that.

I agree this is a hack job - it is The Post after all. But it is widely speculated that BB will advise Mangini against taking this particular job for very good reasons The Post chose not to delve into. What is fairly obvious is they have little or no sourcing regarding Mangini's state of mind. Rather this is clearly a "who wouldn't take this job" kind of piece. Hey, if he turns it down The Post can always question his mental status. I love the part about how wild Woody Johnson is for Mangini after apparently having to be talked into him. That would set up perfectly the ass-canning of 1. Mangini and 2. Bradway if the JETS can't be turned around in short order.

Great example with Del Rio who after three seasons with his Marshall QB managed to post 12 wins on a weak schedule only to get his ass kicked by BB in the WC round. Oddly, while it would be an improvement over 2005, I doubt JETS management would have Mangini's back were he to go 5-11, 9-7 and finish 2nd in the division in 2008 only to get trounced in the wild card round. Although making the WC round alone in 2008 in a division with Belichick and Saban would be quite the accomplishment. :rolleyes:

If Mangini is seduced by Woody Johnsons misguided obsession about how to do things the Patriots way he could very well end up with one of those character building Cleveland experiences on his resume. And if he gets another shot after that he may be able to fulfill some other teams obsession down the road to do things the Patriots way. Hell, by then maybe he could even fulfill it for......the Patriots.

If Mangini is foolish enough to be seduced into this job against his mentors advice it will speak volumes about his suitability to have even been considered the heir apparent here. BB and the Krafts are testing not only his loyalty but his career IQ.

MoLewisrocks said:
If Mangini is foolish enough to be seduced into this job against his mentors advice it will speak volumes about his suitability to have even been considered the heir apparent here. BB and the Krafts are testing not only his loyalty but his career IQ.
Well said MoLr. I think that is key. IF he decides to take the job, our D may take a hit. But I just don't see him being ready for a HC job, especially with an organization in such disarray where he may not have the control he needs.

CTPatsFan said:
Well said MoLr. I think that is key. IF he decides to take the job, our D may take a hit. But I just don't see him being ready for a HC job, especially with an organization in such disarray where he may not have the control he needs.

Our D took a hit when Romeo left. Some of it was personnel, some of it was injuries and some of it was coaching. Between weeks 1 and 12 (Kansas City) things were ugly in Patriot nation.

well

I don't think that BB would try and talk him out of the job. I think he would say something like "this is your decision, but here's the way i would look at it and what i would do"

If mangini takes the jets job, then we can expect the bills to hire a BB diciple so that it will be an all BB division!

......and I am hot for teacher, what's the point?

This is a horrible article, there are no sources named and almost no facts!

I remember hearing an interview with Charlie Weis sometime this year and he said that he had the full backing of BB when he took the ND job. BB's only advice was to make sure he was satisfied with the situation. Last year, Oakland wanted Mangini and for some reason he signed a new deal here with the Patriots. I am sure BB was not holding him back or twisting his arm to stay here. BB has shown on several occasions that he does not harbor ill will about anything. He did not try to talk Romeo out of Cleveland even though he would have had the amunition.

IMO, Mangini stays!

There are only two people on earth who know what Belichick is advising Mangini and what Mangini is thinking about that advise.

I don't think either of those two people spent this week discussing it with newspaper reporters.

Putting two and two together in the article, it sounds like Heimerdinger was the "current assistant coach" who passed along "Belichick's advice" and "Mangini's thinking" to the NY Post.

Pretty clearly, the Jets' campaign to sabotage the Patriots' playoff run ... is making good headway ... among the fans.

Sure hope that the ballplayers, BB, and Eric can take this more calmly than we are doing.

ESPN is talking about it right now. They said it's all said and done. They (the Jets) will wait until the Patriots season has ended to hire Mangini. If this is true, then this will be another set back.

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl said:
ESPN ... said it's all said and done. They (the Jets) will wait until the Patriots season has ended to hire Mangini. If this is true, then this will be another set back.

If this true ... it is tampering.
Bring on the compensatory and punitive draft choices!

flutie2phelan said:
If this true ... it is tampering.
Bring on the compensatory and punitive draft choices!

Its not tampering unless they talk money.

its the same situation as when crenell left for cleveland last year. everybody knew that he was going way before the superbowl.

How much are they talking to Mangini? Isn't our playoff push more important than having personnel in OUR employment concerning themselves with the Jets resurrection?

The Jets harpooned us before in the Superbowl versus Green Bay, just STFU until we're done.

Last edited:
You never know - Mangini may wake up and take BB's advice

Chances are BB has some regret about taking the Brown's job way back when - unstable situation, unstable owner... by the end of his run he was being set up to fail with the team and with the fans.

BB looks at the Jets and sees a similar situation

...check out this recent NYT headline and story lead in... its for subscribers only but I think you get the jist of what the NYT thinks of this situation.

SPORTS OF THE TIMES
A Heck of a Job, Woody
By WILLIAM C. RHODEN
Published: January 7, 2006

Woody Johnson, the owner of the Jets, wakes up today to find his team broken, probably beyond repair, a big green jet that cannot fly....

...and HOW many coaches have walked off that job in recent years? BB, Parcells, Groh, Herm... - and that's not even counting the ones that were fired... slightly demanding fans and salary cap issues are the LEAST of his worries and those are pretty big

It must be mighty tough to turn down a HC job, and while he may have to wait awhile longer for another offer, the rest of the league owners will make note of Mangini's good sense and patience in saying "thanks but no thanks" to the NYJs.

Question:

How come none of the writers who cover the team have not had a report of their own about this?
Nothing from Mike Reiss, Michael Felger, Tom Curran etc. I guess they are busy preparing to cover the game, but isn't it kind of strange that none of them have released not even a paragraph about this.

This is a NY sports media fight back against all the articles saying "What person in his right mind would WANT that job right now?". A discussion that they, obviously, can't participate in.

R

The Gr8est said:
How much are they talking to Mangini? Isn't our playoff push more important than having personnel in OUR employment than the Jets resurrection?

The Jets harpooned us before in the Superbowl versus Green Bay, just STFU until we're done.

I was thinking the same thing. Mangini stayed with Cleveland when they moved to Baltimore for the 1996 season, while BB came here to coach with the Tuna. EM was not here to see what the Tuna's possible defection talks did to the Patriots in the Super Bowl. That is the only Super Bowl that BB and Tuna did not win. One thing that BB prizes is loyalty and I would sincerely hope that is one characteristic EM has learned from his boss!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft