PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

MUST READ: Death and distress haunt members of the 2001 title team

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
If you haven't read this, definitely take the time. Unreal - but well-written - piece by Bob Hohler on the 2001 team:

Last edited:
If you haven't read this, definitely take the time. Unreal - but well-written - piece by Bob Hohler on the 2001 team:

I'd like to read this. Is there a way around the paywall other than paying?

I wonder how this compares to any other team playing 20-25 years ago... I'm guessing it's similar.

As I age, I've been shocked at how ill equipped so many people are vis-à-vis spending habits.

Reminds me of the 30 for 30 titled "Broke".

Financial literacy isn't just an athlete problem. It's a pandemic.
Too many parents expect the schools to teach their kids everything. There just aren’t enough hours in the school day for that. Financial literacy needs to be taught from a young age by the parents in order for kids to the best chance when they grow up. If you’re good with money, you should not need a credit card, for example. Credit card companies do a good job of convincing people they need their products for a “rainy day.” But because so many people do not know how to budget, the interest rates and payments on those cards make it impossible for most Americans to stockpile a rainy day fund.

In about a year or so, I’m going to begin incentivizing my oldest daughter to do “chores,” like pick up her toys and put them away when she is done with them. She will get coins (which will eventually turn into dollars as the chores get more challenging) to put into a piggy bank. Every once in a while, we will empty that piggy bank and take her to the store to buy something so she can learn the value of money.

Good article but very skimpy on details... The stories of guys losing it all, financially, could be told about just about any team, after any season...

The focus on Ted Johnson and Jermaine Wiggins does provide a positive outcome for the story in a way... was it me, or was I reading into things too much, the bitterness of Ted Johnson rings thru, and perhaps explains some of his attitude towards the Patriots... I wonder if that would be the case if he didn't go broke...

The other guys they mentioned in the article - wish the article was more detailed.. I guess we can surmise, in light of the Johnson concussion comments, that they are trying to tie the sad outcomes to CTE... Which may be / most probably is the case...

I hope that this story gets read by some edge of the bubble players, hell, even the superstars, to help them realize that a little financial literacy will help provide them some stability after their time in the league is over... Even the guys on the low end of the pay scale have an opportunity to set themselves up for a better future with a little planning...

Overall it was an ok article but I didn't find it to be a compelling story... Would have been better as a long form article... Maybe a three or four part series, each focused on the different aspects ... Concussions/CTE, financial literacy, how to transition after the game, legal issues, etc... Or however a better writer than I am sees the issues brought up in the original article

Too many parents expect the schools to teach their kids everything. There just aren’t enough hours in the school day for that. Financial literacy needs to be taught from a young age by the parents in order for kids to the best chance when they grow up. If you’re good with money, you should not need a credit card, for example. Credit card companies do a good job of convincing people they need their products for a “rainy day.” But because so many people do not know how to budget, the interest rates and payments on those cards make it impossible for most Americans to stockpile a rainy day fund.
Agree 100% . I was lucky. My dad is a CPA/MBA so I learned very early financial discipline.

So now I ***** about paying $4 a gallon but will spend $250 on greens fees :p
In about a year or so, I’m going to begin incentivizing my oldest daughter to do “chores,” like pick up her toys and put them away when she is done with them. She will get coins (which will eventually turn into dollars as the chores get more challenging) to put into a piggy bank. Every once in a while, we will empty that piggy bank and take her to the store to buy something so she can learn the value of money.

Absolutely. We were like that with our daughters, Kontra. I'd suggest once she gets to a decent age play Monopoly. It's a good game at laying the foundation of making financial decisions and how in life s**t happens. Plus when they want you to buy something stupid you can always use examples in Monopoly how there are priorities and not to be impulsive. The game Life is also pretty good at teaching those lessons.

Once they start making and saving their own money and not hitting you up you'll be proud how financially intelligent they are.

It's the best thing a parent can do IMO.

I agree with a lot of the others that this is not just a problem with the 2001 Patriots, but likely every other team, across any time span. It's also a pandemic in America. But nothing brings in the clicks and the attention like the Dynasty Pats. Hopefully, the fact that it's the 2001 Pats will get people to click, to learn, and maybe, even if just for themselves, do something to help themselves.

EDIT - If it can start the ball rolling on generating the broad awareness necessary to start putting real weight into solving the problems of financial illiteracy, post-NFL health issues, and the loss of purpose, not just for NFL players, but all athletes and veterans, then this article can really be a good thing.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
Unfortunately I can't read it. I would like to know if there is any mention on painkillers, opiates. That's a pandemic across America

It's heartbreaking. As a society, we do a couple things poorly, mental health and how to manage your money. Here's somewhat wealthy young men with no clue how to manage the money and who now have to deal with the banalities of every day life when the cheering stops. I am sure there are more stories like this across the NFL, x100.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
Unfortunately I can't read it. I would like to know if there is any mention on painkillers, opiates. That's a pandemic across America
I clicked the close button on pop up, it took me to the subscribe page, I clicked back and it worked.

It goes without saying this is depressing as hell. While many of these things can happen to young celebrities in general, and especially young athletes, it's only football where you receive genuine brain damage while working your craft. It's a double hit.

Highway crashes: Terry Glenn and David Patten
Cancer: TJ Turner and Leonard Myers
Heart attack: Kenyatta Jones
Died suddenly riding a bike in August: Riddick Parker
Unknown causes this year: Charles Johnson

The Chuck Noll Steelers suffered the same fate.

Mike Webster dies an awful death. Another Steeler O lineman was cutting down a tree and it fell on him and killed him.

Screw all that. You need to condition her to venerate old people toward a career in geriatric nursing. Start with Santa Claus. Forty years from now you'll thank yourself. ;)

Last edited:
I think one thing the story missed was how much the pay scale for even the bubble players has risen in the last 20 odd years. Now the last player on the roster is going to earn over $700k. Back in 2001 that number was just over $100k. Back then a player who was in the league for around 5 years would likely had made a couple of mill, so it is easier to believe they could lose it if they weren't wise. To put it in more perspective, I was chasing a minimum of around $15k in 1971 and would have been THRILLED to have it. Instead I went back to my teaching career making around $8k

How far from the general publics stats do these deviate?

The story gives context to why Ted Johnson apparently believes BB almost ruined his life by (allegedly) making him play through concussions. I wonder, though, if they just didn't know enough back then in contrast to today's protocols.

(Thanks @Ian for providing the second link.)

How far from the general publics stats do these deviate?
Not far. That’s why there is so much anger in the grassroots.

difference is NFL players once were doing well, then fell. Most folks were never doing that well.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back