PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Louis Riddick on Brady's week 7 performance vs Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish more people who actually had relevant experience to comment on the matter would do what Riddick did here. I have friends-of-friends who have worked at low levels in the NFL whose job was to steal signals. Riddick just attested to the fact that both on the FO/scout level and down on the sidelines, he's observed signals being stolen and used. The narrative that the Pats were breaking the rules by stealing signals is stupid and wrong, because stealing signals is legal and 32 out of 32 teams do it. The narrative should have always been that the Patriots stole signals in a way that was against the rules. That would be accurate... and not particularly incendiary. At a minimum, it would encourage people to investigate further, and realize how much of a dumb technicality the rule itself was.

And it might be seen that way by more fans if the Pats hadn't been so grossly over-punished.

marcellus is a self-righteous 'i made it to columbia from ghetto, and i'm smarter than you' buffoon. he went out of the limb and said brady should be suspended for 8 games because of 'competitive advantage'. he knows he was flat out wrong, but dude is too proud to admit anything.

Who should be punished, and how much, for the theft of 1st round picks for manufactured offenses?

How much of a competitive advantage is the rest of the league getting by stripping the Pats of their draft picks?

I wish more people who actually had relevant experience to comment on the matter would do what Riddick did here. I have friends-of-friends who have worked at low levels in the NFL whose job was to steal signals. Riddick just attested to the fact that both on the FO/scout level and down on the sidelines, he's observed signals being stolen and used. The narrative that the Pats were breaking the rules by stealing signals is stupid and wrong, because stealing signals is legal and 32 out of 32 teams do it. The narrative should have always been that the Patriots stole signals in a way that was against the rules. That would be accurate... and not particularly incendiary. At a minimum, it would encourage people to investigate further, and realize how much of a dumb technicality the rule itself was.
He didn't just say that he observed it--he said that he himself stole signals as a scout!
Much more powerful statement.

What he said:
The whole Spygate thing--look, I've worked in front offices where I was an advance scout and I was stealing signals for coaches. I've also been down on the sideline, during games, as a scout, years ago, trying to steal signals for coaches. Okay? Everybody--only thing was New England was doing it, they were filming it and they were told not to film it, and they were filming it anyway. Everybody was doing that. So look, I'm kind of the wrong guy to ask about the whole stealing signals thing.

I wish more people who actually had relevant experience to comment on the matter would do what Riddick did here.

I have friends-of-friends who have worked at low levels in the NFL whose job was to steal signals. Riddick just attested to the fact that both on the FO/scout level and down on the sidelines, he's observed signals being stolen and used. The narrative that the Pats were breaking the rules by stealing signals is stupid and wrong, because stealing signals is legal and 32 out of 32 teams do it. The narrative should have always been that the Patriots stole signals in a way that was against the rules.

That would be accurate... and not particularly incendiary. At a minimum, it would encourage people to investigate further, and realize how much of a dumb technicality the rule itself was.

And really, why were the Patriots using a big camera? By 2007, I had one of those FlipHD thingies. pretty small. Excellent picture. Better than an iPhone6. Now they have tablets on the field.

You're telling me they don't use those to film?

And really, why were the Patriots using a big camera? By 2007, I had one of those FlipHD thingies. pretty small. Excellent picture. Better than an iPhone6. Now they have tablets on the field.

You're telling me they don't use those to film?
Because they didn't think it was against the rules...

Because they read the rules...

And filming signals isn't in there.

Punished for Goodell not knowing the rules.

Because they didn't think it was against the rules...

Because they read the rules...

And filming signals isn't in there.

Punished for Goodell not knowing the rules.

My understanding of the whole spygate thing was that it was where the camera's were positioned that was the issue not the filming itself

My understanding of the whole spygate thing was that it was where the camera's were positioned that was the issue not the filming itself

Right also not in the rule book. The league issued a memo. Bill knew that rule changes had to be approved by the teams. Roger took umbrage at anyone challenging his absolute power. Sound familiar?

When Riddick states "I was hired to steal signals" he falsely implies that it is the same as spygate. Spygate was a camera located in a newly made illegal position (via a memo) during Game Day in front of 80,000 fans. On top of that the opposing team was legally allowed to videotape the Patriot signals from the clubhouse booth which the Patriots could not do because their visiting team clubhouse booth was on the wrong side of the field.

So to maintain the "integrity" of the game only the home team can "legally" videotape the opposing teams signals.

Then, in 2008, the NFL discovered a radical new technology called "radio" and made the use of signals no longer necessary. It's too bad the integrity of the game had to suffer for years before such a solution could be devised. o_O

Then, in 2008, the NFL discovered a radical new technology called "radio" and made the use of signals no longer necessary. It's too bad the integrity of the game had to suffer for years before such a solution could be devised. o_O

Unless and only if you're in Gillette stadium then they never ever work.

Right also not in the rule book. The league issued a memo. Bill knew that rule changes had to be approved by the teams. Roger took umbrage at anyone challenging his absolute power. Sound familiar?

Well Goodell learned this approach to getting rid of trouble makers from M Kensil, who learned it as a college student. I have uncovered a discussion, where he learned this method from the Dean of the university he attended, Farber University.

For those keeping score at home, headsets in the QB's helmet were introduced around 1994, I believe.

Well Goodell learned this approach to getting rid of trouble makers from M Kensil, who learned it as a college student. I have uncovered a discussion, where he learned this method from the Dean of the university he attended, Farber University.

I have a feeling that the Pats were under "Double Secret Probation" the day BB resigned from the Jets.

I have a feeling that the Pats were under "Double Secret Probation" the day BB resigned from the Jets.
Whichever team bb went to probably was gonna get this if bb became this successful anywhere else.

This article offers an interesting insight to Camera placement gate.
Spygate: An Inconvient Truth

Spygate: An Inconvient Truth - CBSSports.com

As Jimmy Johnson said though "it's not possible to tape signals from the press box when the team is on the wrong side." In other words, you can't tape their signals but they can tape yours, and it's 100% legal.

Now remember, if you are the team under the press box, the other team is completely in viewing range of the box. Cameras can be pointed in their direction and signals can be easily recorded. You are protected from this because the NFL prohibits you from taping from anywhere that is not enclosed by walls. There are no other places like this than 1 press box.

This isn't a conspiracy theory. It's a reminder that the rules aren't always set up to be fair. Sometimes they are unfair and it's just not convenient to talk about where they fall short. The people that challenge the laws are often ruled as heretics or unclean, but history often stands on their side. Maybe Belichick is nothing more than a coach looking to bend or break rules or maybe he didn't want to be victimized by a practice he saw as common and biased.

It was and is legal to tape signals, game etc...as long as the camera is in a legal location.

Roger is somebody's tool boy. I wonder whose?

It's not even about the location. It's not even about having cameras enclosed. You can still see guys on the sidelines with cameras today. No enclosures.

Goodell put out a memo that said no taping signals. He doesn't have the authority to make that rule, the competition committee does. When everyone realized Goodell was "emphasizing" a rule that didn't exist they pulled out the location excuse.

This article explains it:

The Truth About Spygate: Punishing Success and Promoting Parity

"A September 6, 2006 memo from Ray Anderson, the NFL head of game operations, adds to this. However, the rules don’t support this belief. Anderson’s memo reads, “Videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent’s offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches’ booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game.”

Unfortunately, the memo misquotes the rules, and Anderson can’t change the rules. Rule changes must be proposed to and voted on by the teams. The NFL cited the misquoted rules against the Patriots from pages A105-A106 of the league’s Policy Manual for Member Clubs Volume II: Game Operations 2007 edition.

Miscellaneous Rules and Regulations, Section A. reads, “No video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches’ booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game.”

The league also cited a portion of section D against the Patriots. Section D reads, “To ensure the protection of equipment and employees of the teams’ video departments, please follow the guidelines listed for the video shooting booths at your stadium.”

The league quoted the first guideline against the Patriots, “All video shooting locations must be enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead.” The rules never prohibit filming coaches. The sections used against the Patriots only concern camera locations.

Anderson’s memo adds an emphasis on signals, which isn’t in the rules. Also, Anderson says that videotaping is prohibited from “any other locations accessible to club staff members.”

This isn’t in the rules either.

The rule mentions only three spots where teams can’t use video equipment during games—the coaches’ booth, the locker room, and the field. No rule bars teams from recording signals as long as they locate their cameras properly.

Despite this, Goodell and especially the media continue to portray signal taping as the problem when the only real issue is camera location.

Even the location technicality isn’t open and shut. Again, consider the differences between Anderson’s memo and the rules. We’ve already seen that Anderson’s any “location accessible to club staff members” isn’t in the rules.

(And if it were, how would staff film games as required?)

Of the three locations the rules actually mention, Anderson substitutes “sidelines” for “field.”

That’s important.

NFL rules seem to define “the field” as the area between the sidelines and the endlines. By that definition, a camera man standing out of bounds isn’t on the “field,” although the rule would stop teams from using helmet cameras like those which the networks sometimes use.

Also, using the Section D guideline about enclosed locations against the Patriots is disputable. The manual says the locations “ensure the protection of equipment and employees.” It doesn’t require teams to shoot from those locations. It only asks that teams provide them.

Defending himself, Bill Belichick said he interpreted the rules based on Article IX of The NFL Constitution and By-laws. Among other things, Article IX concerns videotaping. It reads, “Any use by any club at any time, from the start to the finish of any game in which such club is a participant, of any communications or information-gathering equipment, other than Polaroid-type cameras or field telephones, shall be prohibited, including without limitation videotape machines, telephone tapping, or bugging devices, or any other form of electronic devices that might aid a team during the playing of a game.”

This seems to ban all taping, but, as we’ve seen, the league has two pages of rules requiring teams to tape and exchange the recordings.

Isn’t that contradictory?

The NFL reconciles it by interpreting Article IX to mean that teams can film during games, but they can only use the recordings between games, not during them. Belichick applied this interpretation to ground level taping too.

Goodell disagreed.

Goodell’s ruling means he applies the Article IX interpretation to Sections B, C, E, and most of D in the Miscellaneous Rules, but to not Section A and the first guideline in Section D.

In contrast, Belichick applied it consistently."

-So Goodell made up a rule about filming signals that didn't exist, then after a year of people violating his made up rule (including the Jets) Goodell decided to enforce it for the first time. He justified it by cherry picking parts of rules, but ignoring the parts he didn't like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back