PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jackson and Mincey Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarMan

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
according to Reiss..ESPN reporting the signings - Jackson for 4 years, Mincey for 4 (edited - meant to put 3 -fat fingered the 4)

Last edited:
DarMan said:
according to Reiss..ESPN reporting the signings - Jackson for 4 years, Mincey for 4

Mincey for 3, not 4.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2527307

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

July 22, 2006
Report: 2 more agree

The Patriots have agreed to terms with second-round pick Chad Jackson (wide receiver) and sixth-rounder Jeremy Mincey (outside linebacker), according to espn.com. Jackson's deal is reportedly for four years, while Mincey is the first Patriots pick to sign for three years.

That leaves the Patriots with three picks to sign: first-rounder Laurence Maroney (running back), third-rounder David Thomas (tight end) and fourth-rounder Stephen Gostkowski (kicker).

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 08:49:03 PM

Last edited:
Does 4 years mean they will not be restricted free agents after three years? I know the new CBA limits the years on second rounders but I am not sure what this means.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jackson was more important to me than Maroney, we need him more (initially anyway) and WR is a tougher position to learn completely than RB which is more instinctual - not that the pass protections are easy but Jackson still was bigger to me.

hallfamebrady said:
Does 4 years mean they will not be restricted free agents after three years? I know the new CBA limits the years on second rounders but I am not sure what this means.
4 years means they'll not be FA until 4 years from now but they'll be UFAs then (so I was told, anyway, the new CBA is new to everyone).

Maroney, Thomas, Gostkowski are the last three unsigned - almost done :)

BelichickFan said:

:gasp:

(Don't tell SoonerPatriot that!)

:D

Who is Minceys agent? That is quite surprising knowing how much hype was around the guy when we drafted him.

Great to see Jackson get signed. With the Pats shortage at WR it will be very beneficial for him to get into camp on time and start to build a good bond with Brady.

Jackson and Mincey Sign..3 to go!!!

Three to go!! I agree...Jackson is key..really..he IS needed as I think we all wonder what DB will do..a holdout might look a bit more silly if Jackson is burning it up out there...but I was more worried about him as well. Let's get all 3 up and ready..Now who is to be cut??? When both officially sign, one HAS to go!!

SeanBruschi54 said:
Who is Minceys agent? That is quite surprising knowing how much hype was around the guy when we drafted him.
I hate to look like a moron but with the new CBA is 3 years good or bad for the player ? Will he now be a RFA at the end of the 3 years ?

SeanBruschi54 said:
I believe Mincey and Jackson have the same agent.

Players who sign for 4 or more years never got to be Restricted Free Agents (no tender offer to hold them an extra year like Givens who as a 7th signed for 3). So Jackson will be a FA after the 2009 season. And Maroney likely after 2010 (he'll get 5 likely with incentives, while some of the top 16 will likely negotiate so that 6th year voids with minmum performances). The NFLPA wants their boys to have more bites at the FA/bonus money apple before or just after they hit 30.

waHoo .... that a way to SP...... that gives them plenty of time to get the
last 3 signed. The only possible problem I could see would be Maroney/agent
thing. My bet is all will be signed in time.
Very good news!

Baylor boy signs for four years yet Mincey only gets three... hmmm....

Jackson's deal seems kinda low as well. Most consider him first round talent, and we usually sign our first rounders to six year deals, but Jackson only signs for four. Interesting.

drpatriot is probably right, the Florida kids likely have the same agent... maybe it's Rosenhaus?

Seymour93 said:
Jackson's deal seems kinda low as well. Most consider him first round talent, and we usually sign our first rounders to six year deals, but Jackson only signs for four. Interesting.
Top 15 picks can sign for up to 6 years. The rest of the first round can sign for up to 5 years. 2nd round and later can sign for up to 4 years. New CBA.

BelichickFan said:

NNNOOOOOOO! Don't you know they can't all sign before October?

SeanBruschi54 said:
Hype? Mincey? Where are you reading hype about Mincey? :confused:

As far as 3 years vs. 4 years, there is a mild advantage to Mincey if he develops into a Pats' 3-4 OLB, as an RFA he will get a minimum tender that should be a few $$ more than a fourth year salary would amount to, and he has some leverage in negotiations for a new contract. Smart move by his agent.

There's no way Mincey should sign for any more than three years. He'll be grossly underpaid in that fourth year if he's anything but a bust, and if he's a bust and has a four-year contract, the Pats would just cut him. There's no advantage to a late-round pick in signing a long contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST