PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jabar Gaffney, Austin Collie in for tryouts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because you'd sign a guy only to lose him for the first two games, and for a 34 year old who looked old and slow when he stepped onto the field last year that probably isn't worth the pain. I'd imagine it's the reason the Dolphins released him and no one bothered to kick his tires last season.

Right now, the WR corps consists of 2 china dolls, a pair of stiffs, and some rookies. I don't really see how the Patriots would be above looking at all avenues of possible improvement.

Right now, the WR corps consists of 2 china dolls, a pair of stiffs, and some rookies. I don't really see how the Patriots would be above looking at all avenues of possible improvement.

While I agree, Gaffney's hardly an improvement. Unless you just want another stiff in the mix.

While I agree, Gaffney's hardly an improvement. Unless you just want another stiff in the mix.

I'd be thrilled with them adding pretty much anyone with even a whiff of potential. This current group has trainwreck written all over it.

Mike Reiss does some post-camp grading, and lists these players among those still "looking for that spark"

Dobson

Dobson has made a handful of "flash" plays that make you understand why he was a coveted wide receiver in this year’s draft, particularly catches down the sideline in which he was able to use his size advantage to reach over defenders in competitive catch situations. But he also had some concentration drops that he can’t afford during regular-season action, and he was limited during minicamp for undisclosed reasons.

Jones

Jones (6-0, 208) has shown up at times – such as when he made a nice under-the-goalposts catch in 7-on-7 red-zone drills – but it was also notable that on the final day of minicamp he was running routes in the “opportunity” part of practice usually reserved for rookies and lesser-experienced players. One thought was that Jones might have been in that spot because of an overall shortage of receivers, but still, one would have expected Jones to be ahead of Thompkins at this point.

Patriots in search of momentum - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Yes, bring in every Tom, **** and Harry with an NFL level pulse, including the likes of Gaffney, if it will lead to a potential improvement.

Well, at least he'd be a stiff who actually knows how to play in this offense and who had production
as an NFL WR as recently as 2011, for Wrecks GrossMan of all people.

I don't know what happened to him last season, but I'd be willing to pay for a flight & hotel for him
in order to find out.

Only with severely Rose-tinted glasses can you can look at the guys they are running out there now at WR and feel confident about anything. Amendola is the only guy who is a demonstrated threat, and he has yet to put up 700 yards in any season. Dobson was not NFL-ready when he was drafted (3 TDs at Marshall last year) and he has fallen behind with missed practices, while Boyce has yet to see the field (along with our star tight ends). The UDFAs are nice stories but probability is working against them shouldering much of a load. What, me worry?

He's geriatric, but I'm sort of surprised Deion Branch isn't in camp. And it may be time to call Lloyd back, even if he falls down and no one likes him.

Only with severely Rose-tinted glasses can you can look at the guys they are running out there now at WR and feel confident about anything. Amendola is the only guy who is a demonstrated threat, and he has yet to put up 700 yards in any season. Dobson was not NFL-ready when he was drafted (3 TDs at Marshall last year) and he has fallen behind with missed practices, while Boyce has yet to see the field (along with our star tight ends). The UDFAs are nice stories but probability is working against them shouldering much of a load. What, me worry?

I agree there are concerns up and down the WR roster, but as much as this WR roster has the potential to be as bad as 2006 it also has the potential to be the best top to bottom since 2007.

Amendola, if he can stay healthy (and that is an if), can explode in this offense. He is the perfect fit. If Dobson can live up to his potential as a rookie, he could be a solid #2. Edelman, if healthy (again another if) could be a solid #2 or #3 WR. Jenkins and/or Jones can be solid #3 or #4 WRs if they pick up the system and aren't beaten out by the younger guys. Boyce may prove with a real QB, he might be something pretty good or even special.

I wouldn't bet on all the WRs staying healthy and the rookies hitting, but take away Welker from any one of the Patriots rosters since 2009 and the Pats' receiving corp is among the bottom of the league. Add to the fact that Hernandez should be healthy and fill a role as a hybrid TE/WR like Gates and Gonzales did for so many years.

The WR position is a big area of concern, but it could actually be a strength if the cards align. This isn't like 2006 where the Pats went into the season with zero talent at WR and their best WR was a #3 WR put in the primary role. Amendola has the ability to be a top 10 WR in this league with a QB like Brady. His issue is staying on the field.

Mike Reiss does some post-camp grading, and lists these players among those still "looking for that spark"

Dobson

Jones

Patriots in search of momentum - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Yes, bring in every Tom, **** and Harry with an NFL level pulse, including the likes of Gaffney, if it will lead to a potential improvement.

Minicamp report is about as useful as calling the Psychic Friends Network and ask them whether certain players are going to have a good year or not. Plenty of players look like crap in minicamp and then turn into very good players in the season and others look like studs in minicamp (Chad Jackson comes to mind) and then turn into duds.

Dobson's review is to be expected of a rookie WR in the Pats' offense. Of course a rookie learning a new system will probably at best flash and then struggle with concentration. But even with it being expected, I don't think it really means anything.

And again, you have said yourself, Reiss' analysis skills aren't the best.

Minicamp report is about as useful as calling the Psychic Friends Network and ask them whether certain players are going to have a good year or not. Plenty of players look like crap in minicamp and then turn into very good players in the season and others look like studs in minicamp (Chad Jackson comes to mind) and then turn into duds.

Dobson's review is to be expected of a rookie WR in the Pats' offense. Of course a rookie learning a new system will probably at best flash and then struggle with concentration. But even with it being expected, I don't think it really means anything.

And again, you have said yourself, Reiss' analysis skills aren't the best.

You choose to ignore the underlying point by trying to minimize the report(s), which is your privilege. I choose not to do so, which is my privilege.

When a 40 catch receiver who can't separate is leading the pack at the quarter pole, I think it's prudent to look around for more potential competition.

I agree there are concerns up and down the WR roster..

I wouldn't bet on all the WRs staying healthy and the rookies hitting...

The WR position is a big area of concern...

So we are in agreement.

JMO, but I think it's far too early for pearl clutching. The position with nearly 100 percent turnover doesn't look fantastic in minicamps? Knock me over with a feather.

Add to the fact that Hernandez should be healthy and fill a role as a hybrid TE/WR like Gates and Gonzales did for so many years.

Hernandez isn't a comparable player to Gonzalez at all. Gonzalez is both one of the best receiving and best blocking tight ends of all-time - Gronk has the potential to be a Gonzalez type player if he continues on his trajectory. If anything, Hernandez is closer to Shannon Sharpe or Ben Coates in skillset.

You choose to ignore the underlying point by trying to minimize the report(s), which is your privilege. I choose not to do so, which is my privilege.

When a 40 catch receiver who can't separate is leading the pack at the quarter pole, I think it's prudent to look around for more potential competition.

I chose to ignore all minicamp reports like I do every year. It is minicamp with a whole new receiving corp with several rookies. Talk to me after the third preseason game. Then I will care.

I am consistent on this. Year in and year out I dismiss minicamp report whether they are glowing or damning. It is nice when they are glowing l, but still means nothing.

And we aren't even close to the quarter pole. They have barely shot off the start pistol. They haven't even passed their physicals yet. We are a month and a half away from the first day of training camp and three months away from the start of the season.

Also, you are seriously going to say that Jenkins is leading the pack. By all accounts (including Reiss'), Amendola and Brady have already found a rhythm. Again, don't mean much in shells and 7 on 7, but the reports on Amendola this past week have been mostly glowing.

Since you want to make Reiss' minicamp reports mean much of anything, he compares Amendola's arrival here to Branch's and Welker's in a favorable light:

Wide receiver Danny Amendola
Tom Brady talked earlier this offseason about how certain wide receivers (he named Deion Branch and Wes Welker as examples) have a firm grasp on the offense almost immediately upon arrival. From the look of it during OTAs and minicamp, Danny Amendola is following the same path, as he's been the best skill player on the field from this vantage point and looks to have developed a rapport with Brady. Given the transition at the receiver position this offseason, the Patriots will be counting on Amendola to play a major role in 2013. He's been quick, shifty, reliable catching the football and fast down the field. He has the makings of a big-time weapon for this offense. With both Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez sitting out due to their respective recoveries, Amendola has stood out even more.

Also, from the article:

Wide receiver Kenbrell Thompkins
He may not be familiar to all Patriots fans, but Thompkins has caught the eye of those in attendance at offseason workouts, often aligning alongside veteran wide receivers in the offensive formation. Thompkins might not have a particular trait that stands out (he has good size, speed and quickness, but nothing overly flashy), but he's continued to catch most balls thrown his way and made catches in competitive catch situations. Most of all, he's been consistent during the time that we've seen him work. Coaches look for reliability at the receiver position, and Thompkins appears to be the same guy each time he takes the field. He's an early (perhaps too early) candidate for an undrafted rookie who could stick around on the active roster.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-.../4744484/momentum-builders-in-offseason-camps

Again, I think minicamp reports are a bunch of wasted bits, but if you are going to put weight on them, you can't just focus on the negative.

Hernandez isn't a comparable player to Gonzalez at all. Gonzalez is both one of the best receiving and best blocking tight ends of all-time - Gronk has the potential to be a Gonzalez type player if he continues on his trajectory. If anything, Hernandez is closer to Shannon Sharpe or Ben Coates in skillset.

I am talking about the style of receiver they are. Gronk's style is closer to Shannon Sharpe than either Gates or Gonzo.

No way Hernandez are remotely like Sharpe or Coates. Those two lined up at the end of the line and caught balls in traffic over the middle line Gronk. Hernandez lines up in the slot or out wide like Gates and Gonzo did/do.

I chose to ignore all minicamp reports like I do every year. It is minicamp with a whole new receiving corp with several rookies. Talk to me after the third preseason game. Then I will care.

I am consistent on this. Year in and year out I dismiss minicamp report whether they are glowing or damning. It is nice when they are glowing l, but still means nothing.

I wasn't knocking you for it, so my apologies if you took it that way. I was noting a difference in our approach. When it comes to offseason team building, I'm more likely to be concerned about problems than I am to be happy about successes, because problems tend to translate to padded play more often than great successes do.

And we aren't even close to the quarter pole. They have barely shot off the start pistol. They haven't even passed their physicals yet.

:noidea:

They've had the offseason OTAs and their mandatory minicamp. It's mid-June. They're at the quarter pole.

I wasn't knocking you for it, so my apologies if you took it that way. I was noting a difference in our approach. When it comes to offseason team building, I'm more likely to be concerned about problems than I am to be happy about successes, because problems tend to translate to padded play more often than great successes do.

:noidea:

They've had the offseason OTAs and their mandatory minicamp. It's mid-June. They're at the quarter pole.

It isn't the quarter pole. It is a minicamp. It is the starting gate. It was three days and the first three days with the team together. The Pats have six weeks of training camp, preseason, and practices from the end of July to mid September before the season starts. You can't call three practices the quarter pole when you count that.

Also, check out my addendum to my post that shows you are only looking at the negative side of the minicamp reviews. Maybe you missed the other ones, but Reiss/Yates says that Amendola seems to be picking up the offense as fast as Welker and Branch did. Again, I think it means nothing, but the minicamp reports on the WRs are as bad as you make it.

your problem is you've just posted two reports from knowledgeable sources that cover the Patriots that positive strides are being made in the passing game.

You can't do that...that makes you a despicable "homer" and as everyone knows, anyone who roots for the Patriots, loves the team and has a positive outlook on the upcoming season will NOT be tolerated.

and...if you DO open your mouth using a keyboard, and God forbid, print anything construed as positive, you are labeled crazy.

THAT is the way Patsfans works these days....all the bad news all the time...no sun allowed.

Also, check out my addendum to my post that shows you are only looking at the negative side of the minicamp reviews. Maybe you missed the other ones, but Reiss/Yates says that Amendola seems to be picking up the offense as fast as Welker and Branch did. Again, I think it means nothing, but the minicamp reports on the WRs are as bad as you make it.

As I noted:

I wasn't knocking you for it, so my apologies if you took it that way. I was noting a difference in our approach. When it comes to offseason team building, I'm more likely to be concerned about problems than I am to be happy about successes, because problems tend to translate to padded play more often than great successes do...

your problem is you've just posted two reports from knowledgeable sources that cover the Patriots that positive strides are being made in the passing game.

You can't do that...that makes you a despicable "homer" and as everyone knows, anyone who roots for the Patriots, loves the team and has a positive outlook on the upcoming season will NOT be tolerated.

and...if you DO open your mouth using a keyboard, and God forbid, print anything construed as positive, you are labeled crazy.

THAT is the way Patsfans works these days....all the bad news all the time...no sun allowed.

..... says the poster who had more than 50 posts of negativity in the Tebow thread... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back