PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle Thoughts - the 2-0 edition - the only stat that counts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just never see any pass rush from our D line. It's been this way for years. When I watch other games, I see D lines getting great pressure on QBs.
Didn't the Pats finish 2nd or 3rd in sacks last year? "Never see a pass rush" doesn't square with that fact.

Didn't the Pats finish 2nd or 3rd in sacks last year? "Never see a pass rush" doesn't square with that fact.
It's partly perception, for sure. If the Pats' offense is rolling, our first thought isn't the lack of an opponents pass rush, if that makes sense.

But it has been sort of anemic these first two games.

It's partly perception, for sure. If the Pats' offense is rolling, our first thought isn't the lack of an opponents pass rush, if that makes sense.

But it has been sort of anemic these first two games.
A more accurate statement would be that the Pass rush was anemic in the 2nd half of both games. But the I thought the DL did a pretty good job of pressuring the QB in both first halfs of the first 2 games. The issue will be to get the pressure for a full 60 minutes

I got that 5 play number from one of the mediots in the local post game reporting, but the point remains the same. The concept of using a bend but don't break defense is to GRUDGINGLY give up yards and points and take time off the clock. And despite the gifts from the refs, this defense did NONE of those things in the 2 drives you mentioned.

Ken - there is no "despite the refs" when it comes to them giving the other team huge chunks of yardage. Called properly, the DPI becomes OPI and you have a swing of 30 yards, putting Miami at 1& 20 at the NE 42. Not only is that a huge change of field position, but it's a huge momentum change as well.

Called properly, the false start negates the TD and moves the ball from 2nd &5 at the NE 24 to 2nd &10 at the NE 29.

Ken - there is no "despite the refs" when it comes to them giving the other team huge chunks of yardage. Called properly, the DPI becomes OPI and you have a swing of 30 yards, putting Miami at 1& 20 at the NE 42. Not only is that a huge change of field position, but it's a huge momentum change as well.

Called properly, the false start negates the TD and moves the ball from 2nd &5 at the NE 24 to 2nd &10 at the NE 29.
I don't deny your analysis,DB, but the fact is that good defenses overcome bad calls. Not all the time, but most of them. Instead of allowing Miami to be 3 out of 4 in red zone conversions (even with the zebra's help) defenses that aspire to be a top 5 D's, will limit that to 1 of 4.

It's merely an observation, not a condemnation. I understand that they are missing some big pieces in Hightower and Ninko. That guys like Mingo, Rowe, and others are still trying to find their way to the stadium, and we are playing with 9 rookies on the roster (I was shocked when I read that the other day).

September (while counting on you record) has become an extended preseason, so what we see today, may be quite different than what we get after Thanksgiving. One of the great consistencies of the BB era is that his teams usually improve as the season go on. Last season, due to the injuries, was the exception that proved the rule. All I want to see in the future is improvement. And if the defense, who is relatively healthy, can hold the Texans, under 20 points Thursday, that will be a good start on that road to meet our lofty expectations.

Just my memory, so I could be wrong, but I think the rule is that you can't do one of those: "pick the QB up and drive him into the turf" moves. I think it would be pretty difficult to have a rule saying you can't land with your full weight on the QB, too subjective.
I read an analysis (can't remember where, sorry) that labeled the play as borderline and a judgement call, it wouldn't be surprising to see it got either way.

Spot on Ken....but.....I'm not ready to label the NE defense "really good" ....far from it. The pass rush is nonexistent and this defense resembles the Bend and Break defenses that Manning carved up with ease a few years ago.
That being said, I have hope that this defense will be able to scheme more to increase QB pressure once Hightower returns. Now that NE has to deploy a #3 QB, this defense needs to offer more resistance and less bend.

PS....loved Blount's work horse effort...but wished McDaniels mixed in more play calling that resembled the first series of the 3rd quarter when Brissett effectively lead a scoring drive via air and ground. That was Josh at his best and JB responded positively. Can't wait to see the kid go again

PSS.....Having watched JG in preseason for a few years and now 2 starts, my skepticism had nothing to do with his skill level and everything to do with his body type. IMO, he doesn't have a body frame that can withstand shots week in and week out...IMO. Obviously, the key is to avoid contact and TB12 with his particular frame has learned how to remain upright. Yesterday, I had flashes of Romo and broken collarbones and an inability to make it through long hard seasons. Here's hoping my trepidations are off the mark....but JG is slight of build compared to most NFL QBs
Huh? Uh...not sure where you were getting your pictures of JG from....

0881bfee20b3065949a71b664612fb81.jpg

That's from when he was still in college. As opposed to ....

Tom-Brady-shirtless-02-15-15.jpg

Brady may one of a kind, with his combination of maintaining top production and avoiding injury. Or, perhaps instead he is "the first of a kind", a new type of athlete who scientifically maintains their body by innovative exercise and eating techniques to remain productive and relatively injury free into their 40's.

Y'know maybe TFB should start a business utilizing his body maintenance formulae.

Y'know maybe TFB should start a business utilizing his body maintenance formulae.

You know, I'm not sure if you are kidding, but I thought of that too in all seriousness. I could see him do that, if nothing else on the side, he obviously deeply believes in this healthy behavior, exercise, eating, etc.

You know, I'm not sure if you are kidding, but I thought of that too in all seriousness. I could see him do that, if nothing else on the side, he obviously deeply believes in this healthy behavior, exercise, eating, etc.

Guerrero has become one of Brady’s closest advisers, serving as godfather to Brady’s younger son, Ben.

The friends operate a sports therapy center, TB12, with its headquarters near Gillette Stadium, where the Patriots play.

I don't deny your analysis,DB, but the fact is that good defenses overcome bad calls. Not all the time, but most of them. Instead of allowing Miami to be 3 out of 4 in red zone conversions (even with the zebra's help) defenses that aspire to be a top 5 D's, will limit that to 1 of 4.

It's merely an observation, not a condemnation. I understand that they are missing some big pieces in Hightower and Ninko. That guys like Mingo, Rowe, and others are still trying to find their way to the stadium, and we are playing with 9 rookies on the roster (I was shocked when I read that the other day).

September (while counting on you record) has become an extended preseason, so what we see today, may be quite different than what we get after Thanksgiving. One of the great consistencies of the BB era is that his teams usually improve as the season go on. Last season, due to the injuries, was the exception that proved the rule. All I want to see in the future is improvement. And if the defense, who is relatively healthy, can hold the Texans, under 20 points Thursday, that will be a good start on that road to meet our lofty expectations.
Even mike lombardi on the bill simmons podcast was lamenting about red zone defense even after the 1st game. Something which BB will be pissed off by a lot.

Is there any doubt left that McDaniels is the best OC in the game today? Hell, I don't even think it's remotely close. Second place is a distant second.

That's something I've often wondered about, having no experience with football training. In the martial arts classes I've seen, there's a huge emphasis from day one on learning to fall properly -- they drill it over and over in multiple positions until it's instinctive. But of none of the scenarios involve falling safely with multiple large men falling on top of you, while keeping firm hold on a football. :eek:

Any insights on how football teaches falling? Is it position-specific, e.g. quarterbacks learning to protect their throwing arms?

Having learned something years ago about how to fall in Army airborne school, I think I can comment a little. Also I recall reading years ago in an interview TB talking about, nutrition, flexibility, and 'protecting himself' as he called IIRC, but IMO he meant falling.

The problem is FOOTBALL DOESNT TEACH FALLING. TB and anyone else who learned probably did not learn from football or nfl coaches, but something outside (martial arts, etc).

The natural tendency of anyone falling is to do the most dangerous thing, try to break the fall. Usually By sticking out a single arm or else a knee, maybe leg, which are due to their length, lack of thickness, etc NOT the best way to cushion the blow. And those extremities usually react in isolation, thereby getting the whole force put on one point of the body.

Army Airborne school teaches you to absorb the force of the landing using the 'meaty' parts of your body, always keeping your feet/ankles together, and never ever sticking your arms out away from your chest. Perfect technique is landing balls of the feet (both simultaneous) then twisting such that calfs, back of thighs and then a shoulder blade hit the ground as you crumple and roll.

You attempt to make the body into a shock absorber. Most martial arts have similar techniques that are likely even more applicable to a football environment.

I think Tom has learned very well not just how to dance within the pocket to avoid getting hits like that at all, but when they come, to land on those fleshy parts in a 'flowing' not fighting against it sort of way that can keep him in one piece.

but wished McDaniels mixed in more play calling that resembled the first series of the 3rd quarter when Brissett effectively lead a scoring drive via air and ground. That was Josh at his best and JB responded positively. Can't wait to see the kid go again

Brisset probably got 30-50 snaps, none with the starters (scout team likely) over the prep time last week.

Having him run the full read & react, quick three step drop JG offense would've been suicide. The offensive change was exactly tuned to a rookie QB with no preparation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes