PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts – final edition....

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
…..for the 2013 season, and a few thoughts going forward.

A loss that ends the season is always a hard loss to take. Usually it takes over a week before I can even listen to a sportscast, come to Patsfans, or think about anything to do with Professional Football. Perhaps its because as the injuries piled up, my expectations had lowered to the point where I am dealing with this much better than the season ending losses of the past several years.

So lets break this down into 2 main components. A the game, and B the future, since we have now joined the 30 NFL teams that have left the 2013 season behind.

Disclaimer: I apologize in advance for any redundancies, since I am publishing this without going through any previous threads

A. The Game

1.When the game ended, almost immediately this thought came to mind. The key stats that ultimately led to this loss on the defensive side where ZERO sacks and ZERO turnovers. With conditions being optimal, and Manning's targets so good, the Pats needed to put pressure of Manning and get him off his spot if they realistically hoped to limit his offense. With the offense going into the game limited, a short field or two was need to make up some of the shortfall. But we went 0-2 in those categories, so the resultant score was not unexpected.

2.Over all the run D was not great, but better than we probably had a right to expect. Early in the game the secondary looked like they were on top of the Denver receivers fairly well.

3.And then came the Talib injury and the impact of that just CAN'T be overestimated. But it should also be noted that just prior to that, Dennard went down with what looked like a shoulder injury, and he never looked the same the rest of the game.

4.I don't know Denver's 3rd down efficiency stat, but it must have been extraordinarily high. It seemed so often that the Pats would hold Denver to a reasonable 3rd down situations (3yds or more), and they'd end up getting a first down over and over again

5.Denver's OL rated first in the league in giving up sacks. They didn't disappoint. Not only did they hold the Pats without a sack, very few of Manning's 43 passing attempts were even challenged by the front 7

6.So ultimately the Defensive stats didn't look great as usual, but giving up only 26 points SHOULD have put us in the position to at least have made this a nail biter.

7.So we come to the offensive side of the ball where the real breakdown occurred. Denver stacked the LOS to stop the run, and the Pats never made them truly pay for that commitment. We all saw there were a few opportunities, which if executed, might have made Denver rethink that strategy. The wide open Edelman overthrow early in the game is the prime example, but there were others.

8.In the end there are about 5 plays in every game (on each side of the ball) which ultimately determine the game. Denver simply made more of those plays on offense than the Pats. Brady had a decent but not great game stats wise, and ultimately there weren't enough “big plays” or “clutch plays” to put the offense over the top.

9.Plenty of blame to go around if you want to play that game. Blame McDaniels if you want. The game plan seemed less than dynamic and creative. Blame Brady, who missed some big throws. Blame the OL for not creating any holes for the RB's. Blame the DL for not creating any pressure on Manning, Blame the 2ndary for never getting off the field on 3rd down, or allowing Manning to throw for 400yds after holding him to 150 in Foxboro. Its rather meaningless, but if it makes you feel better go ahead.

10. I guess I might as well weigh in on the Wes Welker “block” on Talib, that could have been a turning point in this game. Amazingly I find myself somewhat to the left of BB. First, there is no question that it was a clear violation of the rules. Welker was never running a pass route and it was clearly his intention to block Talib (or any other DB covering Thomas at the time). Not pick him, or get in his way, but BLOCK him outright. That's obviously how the play was drawn up.

I think where I differ from Bill is in his vehemence in which he attacked Welker. While it was clearly a penalty, I don't think there was an intention to injure. Welker made a typical block by someone attempting to block someone bigger than himself. I'd categorize it as a cross body block. What made it so nasty was it was low at the knees of a player who had no expectation of being legally blocked.

I think the critical distinction that needs to pointed out to defenders of Welker is that there is big difference between “picking” a defender in a pattern, and “blocking” them outright before the ball gets there. Picking happens all the time, and every team does it. I would have had no problem if Welker had simply gotten in Talib's way. I might have been pissed that a flag wasn't thrown, but I know that's a non-call that every team gets on occasion. But blindsiding a DB/LB with a block at the knees when the DB has no right to expect it, and is defenseless; is simply dirty pool.

Well as I write this I guess I have come around to BB's side of this. What Welker did WAS illegal, wrong, and morally reprehensible. He is dead to me. I hope he never gets his ring. I expect him to be cut by Denver or forced to lower his cap number significantly as be has become rather a non-facter over the last half of the season.

11.Ultimately there are plenty of would have's and could haves that I'm sure have been discussed, but in reality are meaningless at this point

The Future:

I don't think there is a team in the league who is going to improve their roster more than the Pats are in this off season. There isn't a single team who can say that they are going to up grade their roster by adding 4 All Pro players.....and that is BEFORE we get to the draft and UFA. Lets take a cursory look

1.Defense:
a. DE's Solid if unspectacular – 20 sacks and decent to good run support, Our starters are better than most. What is needed are the back ups who can significantly lower their snap counts to 70%, so they are fresher for the playoffs.

Buchannon clearly has to get bigger and stronger, but he showed enough of a burst to convince me he has a got a chance to become a solid back up in the short term and possibly a starter over time. Bequette can be looked, at this point, as nothing but camp fodder going forward, with the hope he shocks us all. Andre Carter is likely to retire, so we are going to have to add a DE in the draft or FA.

b. DT's I think through the injuries we start out strong in that position. Wilfolk's return will be interesting to watch. At worst he declines into a solid run stopper. On the plus side, I hope he works hard to “slim down” noticeably, and become quicker as he comes to the end of his career, and gives us a season closer to what we saw in 2012, than what we saw at the start of 2013. In either case, a fully healthy Wilfolk will be an improvement to the DT corp.

Injuries have led to the early development of Siliga and Chris Jones. 2 young DT's that have developed into 2 solid players. Neither are all pro's, but are improvements over the Love/Deadrick combination.

I love what Kelly brought to the game in his short stint. However his age, and salary cap make him unlikely to return. In my ideal world Armstead returns to fill the Kelly role and the Pats first pick in the draft is a Quality DT with a burst. So between Vince, Siliga, Jones, Armstead, and the high draft pick, we have a young athletic, DT group, anchored by Wilfolk. I don't think we can keep 6 DT's so Joe Velano would be the odd man out barring injury. Not a bad guy to have in reserve.

LB's. I'm just LOVING our starting LB's. The thought of Mayo and Collins, flanking the ever improving Hightower, is VERY exciting. Adding depth to that group beyond Fletcher, will be the main job of this off season. The fact that both Jones and Ninkovich can morph into the LB role adds some depth, but I'd really like to see us pick up a decent LB in FA and take a shot at some athletic S/LB who will remind us all of Jamie Collins. A real hit or miss type of player.

CB's I think, at worst we franchise Talib, and more likely sign him long term in the $8MM/year range for a 3-4 year period. I think he likes here enough to give us that $2MM/yr discount. Added to that I think that with Ryan, Dennard, and the under rated Arrington, we have 4 corners who will be the best group we've had in BB's had since he's been here. To that group. I'd like him to find another big CB in the draft to be the #5 guy. Since we are as deep here as we have been in the BB era, I'd be fine if we rolled the dice on another high risk, high reward player

S's The good news is that the price of paying S's is significantly lower than the price of a shut down CB. (why that is, would be a great discussion some other time). The Pats should be able to get something done with McCourty in 6MM/year range. The bad news, is that his brother, who is still a CB, got more. We might have to pay McCourty a small premium because he's a core leader on the team.

Gregory is a solid player. A better starter than most think, but still a guy who you'd like to replace with a bigger and better athlete, if you can. Duron Harmon showed some progress, but I see him as more of a duplicate Steve Gregory. A solid, smart, undersized SS-type, just younger. A guy you love on your team, and don't hate that he's on the field in the regular defense, but STILL not anyone someone game plans for.

So while if the Pats went into next season with McCourty. Gregory. Harmon, and Tavon Wilson, they'd be way ahead of S groups of the last few years; I'd love it if this off season we went out and found a guy who'd be a physical size and athletic upgrade over Gregory/Harmon. Maybe that's another draft pick, maybe there is someone in FA who fits that bill.

OFFENSE:

OL – In my ideal world, Cannon would slide down to RG, Volmer returns as the premier RT in the league, Mankins does something that reduces his cap number and Solder never has another concussion. We reduce our cap number with Connolly's release, and Wendell either returns to his 2012 play or is replaced with a bigger upgrade.

Overall I didn't think the OL played to its potential this season, but it wasn't a disaster either. Picking up a developmental player in the draft and solid back up in FA and with Svitek and Kline, and we will have potentially one of the better OL's in the league next year.

TE- Gronk is perhaps the most impactful non-QB offensive player in the league. He is not only one of the most dangerous receivers in the league, and a near unstoppable force in the red zone; he's has huge value to the running game. Hooman proved that he's a solid blocker with decent hands. He's a very serviceable TE. To this group we need to add at least one TE addition capable of being a regular in the TE rotation. That would mean either bringing in a 2nd round rookie or a significant FA. Perhaps both. Clearly TE is the one offensive area that needs a significant overhaul.

WR- I don't know why so many feel that brand name WR's are the solution to every offensive woe. What do Dez Bryant, Andre Johnson, Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson. and Larry Fitzgerald have in common. 2 things – they would all be on EVERYONE's top 10 WR list.....and NONE of them were in the playoffs.

In my opinion it would absolute crazy to go out and spend wildly on any WR in FA (as the Herald wants :rolleyes: ). Dobson, Thompkins, and Boyce all showed enough flashes to deserve a second season in the offense to show what they have to offer.

Then we come to the Edelman/Amendola debate. Suddenly, after the great majority here were pissed that we bothered to bring Julian back at virtually the vet minimum, now they view him as our most valuable receiver and want to pay him whatever it takes. BOTH positions are idiotic.

Edelman EARNED whatever he can get this offseason. I would love to have him back. But I wouldn't pay him the $5MM/yr contract he is likely to be offered this off season. What is ironic, is that all the people who didn't want Edelman on the roster, and now are willing to pay him big money, are the same people who want to dump Danny Amendola and regret the $5MM/yr contract he got last season.

Deja vu anyone? Or playing the role of Julian Edelman from the 2013 off season will be Danny Amendola. :rolleyes: “ He can't stay on the field” “He can't get on the same page as Brady” Sound familiar?

We do not need anymore WR's. We should start with the base of Amendola, Thomkins, Dobson, and Boyce, and add competition to that list from the almost limitless horde of WR talent that comes into the league on a regular basis from the draft or low level FA. I don't see the Pats going after Emanuel Sanders let alone Larry Fitzgerald, nor do I want them to.

RB's – I'd give Blount a good raise, but I wouldn't pay him as a bell cow RB. Ridley, Blount, Vareen, and Boldin are an awesome RB group, but Ridley, Vareen, and Boldin would better than most teams have. Our cap space would be better off being used to hold on to our key players like McCourty and Solder, than spend it on a RB.

QB's – In my ideal world, we ship Mallett off to some team for a 2015 #1 draft pick, though a 2014 #2 would be OK. Then we pick up either Cassell or Hoyer, whomever ends up being available, and start to look for Brady's ultimate replacement in the 2015 draft.

Brady showed some age for the first time. Or maybe it was just the grind of all the Rookie WR's and no Gronk/Hernandez. We will see next season, which one it was. But there was more than enough Brady being Brady moments, that QB is the least of my worries for next year's team

General –

1.We have the 2nd youngest roster in the league. One of the problems with that, is there will be a lot of guys who will be finishing out their rookie contracts at the same time. It is also the reason why I don't see any major FA's coming in this off season. This is a team that made it to the final four without 4 of their top players for most of the season. This is a team that started the season with a league high 12 rookies on their 53 man roster. This is a team that will likely wind up with at least 8 more draft picks next season. This is a team that needs to develop the young talent it already has.

2.This is Ron Borges' favorite week of the season. With the Pats eliminated from superbowl contention he can FINALLY come out with all the invective he's stored up the last several months. Everything negative about the Pats that could possibly be used, is now his playground. There are some writers that I don't like, BUT Borges is someone I absolutely HATE!!! It pisses me off that he has a job, or gets a TV gig. Just hearing his name will set me off. I so badly want to hear his name linked to some underground pedophilia group, or something of that ilk. I know this isn't healthy. Does it make me a bad person? Is there some therapy group that I can join, I know I'm not alone here.

3.While, like most of you, I will be rooting for the Seahawks to put Manning back in his place in the cold and windy grounds of NJ. I will probably not be watching the Superbowl, unless its on where I am on that day. My connection to football has always been parochial. When my team is out of the running, then so am I. Tom Brady and I are a lot alike in that regard. ;)

4.After participating in this thread, I'll be taking off a few weeks to recharge, and I look forward to all the debate that goes with the off season. I'm sure it will be spirited and entertaining.

Solid post.

I agree with what you're saying mostly. I do agree that we need to mostly RETAIN what we've got rather than worrying about what's out there. We've got a very good group pretty much across the board. We've got a great mix of vets and young players and a year in which we overachieved is always good to build on with so many guys back.

I think Talib is priority #1. Our secondary was pretty damn good most of the year when healthy. Logan Ryan looks like a very good young CB. I love the fact that we have 4 good ones. I think maintaining continuity on defense is essential. We've had that this year really for the first year in some time; now with another year of the same group, Mayo and Wilfork back, the emergence of Collins, etc...and this D could be elite for the first time in years.

I also agree that we need another upgrade at Safety, but I think we have other areas to address first (another LB, DT, DE, OL, WR).

I would like to see us draft a DT high in the draft to groom for WIlfork's eventual retirement as well as a guy who can take pressure off him.

One place where I disagree is at WR. I think Edelman coming back is important, but I agree in not breaking the bank for him. He can be replaced. But where I disagree is that we stand pat with just Boyce, Dobson and Thompkins. Those guys didn't show me enough. They all showed flashes (barely Boyce though), but I think we need another weapon. Would love if we can get Emmanuel Sanders for a decent price.

I think drafting a TE high in the draft is a priority as well. We need a guy that can step in from day one and produce and there's a few good ones coming out. Whether or not Gronk is back in time, we need insurance. I would be all for drafting one with our 1st round pick. One that can make plays as well.

For the draft in terms of priority, here's what I think:
RD 1) TE
RD 2) DT
RD 3) LB or S
RD 4) DE

OL can be had in late rounds/FA's. WR in FA.

PFK, I really enjoyed reading your post game thoughts this year and they're usually spot on. We'll see how things play out this offseason. Every time we think we know what the Pats will do, they end up doing something completely different or the opposite of what we had hoped for. By the end of the season it always works out and they're competitive to the end so that's why we have our day jobs and they have theirs. ;)

If Cannon can take over at RG, that raises the possibility of Connolly (who is under contract for another year) taking over for Wendell (who isn't). That could make for a FA roster mess on the OL in 2015, but it would cover things for a year, injury depth excepted. So it could go well with a plan of drafting/developing interior OL.

Good point about the McCourty twins.

I agree that Minitron is likely to be Minigone. David Givens is the obvious analogy.

Franchising Talib could cause a painful cap squeeze to open FA. It might not be practical at all without a cut/renegotiation for Wilfork. I think postponing the Wilfork renegotiation until later in the offseason has a lot of advantages ... but that may not be how things play out. Similarly the decision to cut/keep Kelly.

I can't see Belichick paying Talib $11M, the approximate amount of the franchise tag.

If Cannon can take over at RG, that raises the possibility of Connolly (who is under contract for another year) taking over for Wendell (who isn't). That could make for a FA roster mess on the OL in 2015, but it would cover things for a year, injury depth excepted. So it could go well with a plan of drafting/developing interior OL.
Right now Svitek and Kline seem to be a the top of the back up depth chart and both are under contract next season. The issue with Connolly is less his ability at C, and more his contract. I strongly think that Cannon would be an upgrade over Connolly at RG, just as I think Volmer will be an upgrade over Cannon at RT.

According to CHFF and PFF Wendell had a great 2012. Not so much in 2013. I'd keep him over Connolly at C just for the cap numbers. I know he's a bit undersized, but unless we can do better in the draft or FA, I'd keep him. I'd always had hoped that Nick McDonald would become the eventual replacement for Dan Koppen.

I agree that Minitron is likely to be Minigone. David Givens is the obvious analogy..
Its a shame, but I think its necessary. If we are to assume that Dobson, Thompkins and Boyce will all show a 2nd year spike and Gronk is back, I don't think there is enough targets to justify both Edelman and Amendola at around $5MM a piece. If he wants to stay badly enough to play for around $3MM (which would be a healthy raise) I can see it happening. What I can't see happening is Edelman being happy being paid less than Danny.

Franchising Talib could cause a painful cap squeeze to open FA. It might not be practical at all without a cut/renegotiation for Wilfork. I think postponing the Wilfork renegotiation until later in the offseason has a lot of advantages ... but that may not be how things play out. Similarly the decision to cut/keep Kelly.
I think Wilfolk being cut to the $4-5MM area is a foregone conclusion if he wants to end his career as a Patriot. In fact I very much doubt he'd get close to even THAT kind of money coming off his injury at his age, in FA. Bringing Vince back at $4MM/yt would be a gift to him. The good news is that I think Vince knows it, understands it, and a pay cut probably makes sense to him.

As for Talib, I think $8MM/yr on a long term deal, is the best number the Pats can hope for. If the Pats can save 3-4MM from a Wilfolk restructure, it would pay for a year under the franchise tag. At worst Franchising him would give them more time to work out a LT deal.

Another possibility is letting him get to FA and see what his market actually is. It might be revealing for both sides. Remember despite his talent he does have a very spotty injury history. And even though 2 years with the Pats has pretty much erased his off field rep, it still exists. Perhaps his injury history alone would mitigate his market potential down to the $8MM/yr range.

Remember when Wes Welker was entering FA last season everyone here felt $8MM/yr was the LOW end of his market range, and most felt it was closer to $10MM. In the end $6/MM was the best he could get and THAT was on a short term deal. So there is a possibility that teams have finally come to the conclusion that spending even 5% of your cap on a single player other than a QB is not sound. Besides, Talib has NEVER played a full 16 games in a season and has missed at least 3 games in each of the last 4 season. In fact do you really want to pay someone over $10MM/yr who is very likely to miss 20% of your games?

Those are a lot of reasons why Talib might think that an $8MM/yr deal with a team he enjoys, that's going to always be in contention, and appreciates his play, would be better than an extra $2MM/yr in a place that won't measure up to the Pats I mean not all these guys are diva idiots.....I hope

THE OFFENSIVE LINE

1) Connolly would be paid $3M of new money. Do you think that Wendell will take much less?
Personally, I would choose Wendell over Connolly as a startign center if that is the choice to be made.

2) You agree with many here that Cannon would be a major upgrade to Connolly. I'm not so sure that Belichick agrees. When both were available at RG, Connolly started.

3) Cannon has been Belichick's choice for backup OT, an important position on the patriots, given the health of Vollmer and Solder. Also, he is in his last year. If Cannon is really a starting RG, he should be extended. If not, he is likely move on next year.

4) I don't think that Svitek is under contract. For me, the backups as of now are Cannon and Kline; we also have a couple of PS level backup centers. This presumes that either Connolly or Wendell is the starting center (as of now) and the other would be gone.

5) The best case for me is to have a veteran center (Wendell or other) and our best backups (Connolly and Cannon).

6) Folks want us to sign all-pro center. I don't that happening.

7) As I have been saying for 5 years now, we should use a top 100 draft pick for a guard or center with the hope of him starting in 2015.

Right now Svitek and Kline seem to be a the top of the back up depth chart and both are under contract next season. The issue with Connolly is less his ability at C, and more his contract. I strongly think that Cannon would be an upgrade over Connolly at RG, just as I think Volmer will be an upgrade over Cannon at RT.

According to CHFF and PFF Wendell had a great 2012. Not so much in 2013. I'd keep him over Connolly at C just for the cap numbers. I know he's a bit undersized, but unless we can do better in the draft or FA, I'd keep him. I'd always had hoped that Nick McDonald would become the eventual replacement for Dan Koppen.

THE OFFENSIVE LINE

1) Connolly would be paid $3M of new money. Do you think that Wendell will take much less?
Personally, I would choose Wendell over Connolly as a startign center if that is the choice to be made.

2) You agree with many here that Cannon would be a major upgrade to Connolly. I'm not so sure that Belichick agrees. When both were available at RG, Connolly started.

3) Cannon has been Belichick's choice for backup OT, an important position on the patriots, given the health of Vollmer and Solder. Also, he is in his last year. If Cannon is really a starting RG, he should be extended. If not, he is likely move on next year.

4) I don't think that Svitek is under contract. For me, the backups as of now are Cannon and Kline; we also have a couple of PS level backup centers. This presumes that either Connolly or Wendell is the starting center (as of now) and the other would be gone.

5) The best case for me is to have a veteran center (Wendell or other) and our best backups (Connolly and Cannon).

6) Folks want us to sign all-pro center. I don't that happening.

7) As I have been saying for 5 years now, we should use a top 100 draft pick for a guard or center with the hope of him starting in 2015.
I don't disagree with much of what you said, but I pretty sure that Svetek signed a 2 year deal, so he'll be around next season. Could be wrong, but.....

Cannon has never had a full TC focusing on RG. Maybe if Connolly is a cap casualty, and Svetek is available to be the swing tackle, BB gives him that chance.....and extends him, which would be the smart thing to do. Perhaps giving him the RG job in camp and telling him if he proves he's the guy, the team will extend him this coming season.

I'd be fine with an interior offensive line draft pick in the first 3 rounds, especially if that Mallett deal goes through

Great post as usual Ken, and once again I find myself in almost full agreement on your points.

I didn't want to start another thread with my post game thoughts. Furthermore I wanted to wait a reasonable time before making my observations. Since you make many of the points that I was going to make it seems appropriate to add mine to your illustrious thread.

The Game: I wasn't surprised at the result, but more surprised in the manner in which it was achieved. The two areas of weakness that I expected us to expose were the Bronco's OL and their Secondary. Neither of these were tested. However rather than apply blame to the Patriots instead I will point to 3 factors that dealt us a low hand on the day.

1) Fair Weather and all the elements: The forecast was ominous to begin with - I mean 60F weather in January, blue skies and light breeze. Add that to the thin air of mile high and Manning and company might as well have been playing in September. 7 TDs against Baltimore in similar conditions suggested that the Stathead would be able to atone for his postseason failures.

2) Time of Possession: I have to hand it to Fox, the conditions certainly helped, but so did the game plan and its execution. We hardly had the ball for the first three quarters. Some of that was our own inability to make a dent in either the passing or running games, but when they had the ball they soaked up time like no Manning team I have seen, as they passed and ran in good measure to deny us possession.

3) Momentum: This to me was the killer. The Broncos started with everything in their favor (HFA, elements and a full set of offensive weapons), a down slope that guaranteed momentum would increase if nothing changed it. And nothing did. If anything their momentum was increased a little in the first quarter with the OPI on Hoomanawanui, and a huge amount at the beginning of the second with the pick on Talib by Welker. After that no mistakes, TOP in your favor and the game was there for taking. Even the tiny momentum shift in the 4th quarter was quickly snuffed out with the failed 2 pt conversion.

All downhill with little to no adversity, and that to me sums up Manning's legacy. When things are in his favor no-one looks better, and he played very well indeed on Sunday. He made no mistakes and he read the defense exceptionally well. BUT...and here is where the Talib hit was monumental, it is much easier to read a defense if their key defender is on the bench and the number of defense plays are limited to core plays that the reorganized secondary can respond to. I imagine that it was more than just opening up D. Thomas that happened after that hit. Less disguises and more standard plays would be fodder to Manning's analysis. He decoded the defense, used his quick release, and relied on YAC for the big gains. He played within himself, and before this sounds like a eulogy he did have some poor decisions and weak throws (flutterers and wobblers) but they didn't cause a problem he couldn't recover from.

The other result of the Talib hit was that the secondary became less aggressive and forced the D-line into becoming the difference makers. Again the thin air and time of possession worked against them. While Chandler and Nink were not the force they have been in the season, they were on the field for a very long time and became less and less effective as the amplified oxygen shortage slowed them down.

My biggest disappointment was the O-line, especially since it was also Dante's last game. I would have thought they would have stepped up for him, but they were manhandled. Knighton looked like an all pro, and where was he all season? I don't recall him being mentioned as one of the danger points.

To my eyes Brady played well, just not well enough. Part of that was due to the breakdown in the OL, but he also made a few poor throws and decisions (just like Peyton none that caused a turnover), but he was unable to overcome the problems that they invited. Thin air on the first long incomplete to Edelman is understandable, but there were others. And his targets were too few and well covered for most of the plays. Yes he missed some that were open but tell me a QB who doesn't. Best moment of the night was his rushing TD, at least it gave me something to smile about in the 4th quarter.

In summary the football gods wanted to see Peyton in the Superbowl, while the New York deities wanted no part of the Patriots at Metlife. The immortals provided the best conditions for the Broncos to win with the elements, time and momentum. There should be no blame and no shame from the game as the odds were stacked from the beginning. However I do get satisfaction from knowing that we had overachieved to be there in the first place. The 2013 Patriots is a great team, and whatever chemistry was produced over the last 6 months I hope they bottle it and bring it back for 2014. With the return of Vince, Mayo, Volmer and Gronk we should be unstoppable.

Postscript: I don't think the Broncos can repeat their efforts in the SuperBowl, their OL and Secondary played well above their level of talent. It will be full winter in the Meadowlands. Nevertheless I have learned never to second guess the sports deities.

Thanks for this post.

I agree 110% with you (and BB) on Welker. I've watched that play 50 times. The purpose of that play was to take a clear shot at Talib. Wes has lost his Boston privileges.

I will continue to disagree with most others on the value of McCourty. He doesn't make enough plays to justify a franchise-level salary. He's probably expecting to get a contract at least as big as his brother's, but I don't think he's going to get it from BB.

About Gronk. Based on his previous injuries, he doesn't appear to be a fast healer. I'm worried that he may turn out like Russ Francis: all-world for 3-4 years, then a productive player but not all-world for the rest of his career. Hope I'm wrong about that one.

If Wendell or a veteran is signed to play center, then I am fine with Cannon and Svitek being our RG and backup OT, in whichever order, with a rookie also added. As you said, Kline is our backup LG.

BTW, both Rotoworld and Miguel have Svitek as a free agent. In any case, he should be a relatively easy player to sign.

I don't disagree with much of what you said, but I pretty sure that Svetek signed a 2 year deal, so he'll be around next season. Could be wrong, but.....

Cannon has never had a full TC focusing on RG. Maybe if Connolly is a cap casualty, and Svetek is available to be the swing tackle, BB gives him that chance.....and extends him, which would be the smart thing to do. Perhaps giving him the RG job in camp and telling him if he proves he's the guy, the team will extend him this coming season.

I'd be fine with an interior offensive line draft pick in the first 3 rounds, especially if that Mallett deal goes through

Interesting read Ken!

Lol at the evolution on your feelings regarding The Welker-Talib hit.

The Pats had a better run this year than most expected with the loss of weapons to start the season from cap ramifications ... And injury throughout the year.

All in all it's a season to be proud of :nod:

As expected spot on, I agree with most of what you say.

I view this season as "growing pains", we had something like 15 rookies and free agents on this team, and are the second youngest in the league. So as many watch and whine this team is being rebuilt for the long haul.

Have tried not to listen to sports talk this week, and am tired of hearing the discussion as to whether Brady is beyond his prime. They play with all kinds of statistics to support their argument, but always fail to indicate that in April what was intended for this offense never came to fruition, as our TE offense pooped the bed. We morphed from what seemed to be a recovered Jake Ballard, AH and Gronk to Hooman and Mulligan.

Either that or they discuss false information about Wes Welker...

Consider in 2012 our Tight End production was 116 receptions and 16 TD's, in 2013 the production was 43 receptions with 5 TD's. IMO this is a lot of the offensive difference, and other things follow if Gronk or Hernandez were the focus of the D our young' uns may have fared better.

Could go on and on.. but the future is bright, and to have gotten to where did this season is remarkable on many levels..

Soon I will turn on Sports talk mediots or Borges and his crew will be discussing the loss of several coaches as "rats leaving a sinking ship" or other such nonsense...

Fans need to remember that this franchise was once like the current Browns, Jaguars or Oakland, so there is much to be thankful for. To have maintained this level of excellence for such a long period of time is remarkable, for that I am thankful.

I agree with everything you posted here. My priorities for the draft would be OL, DL, TE. We have a lot of young talent and should expect improvement from them next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents