PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How watered down is the NBA?

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
As I've said before, I was a big Celtics fan in the 80s to early 90s... but my interest waned as the league appeared to grow more and more watered down with new teams and less talent.

At least that's my perception... just wanted to see if people agree the league really is watered down and the quality of the "product" is poor - or if that's just a CelticCentric view of the NBA

The point being, before all these expansion teams were added and players were coming out of high school, the NBA seemed to have 10 quality players on every roster.

Some teams that drafted and traded well even had a core of major talent like the Celtics and Lakers, later Detroit and Chicago.

Having more teams meant fewer top tier players on each team... and allowing high school players meant that teams had pressure to fill out rosters, not with the best players, but with the players with the best potential.

Overall, this has, in my opinion, lead to a lower quality basketball product being presented to the fans, and - especially if the Celtics aren't contenders - I'm not going to waste my time watching mediocre talent.

That, in a nutshell is what I feel is wrong with the NBA. Having non-guranteed salaries of course would solve much in my opinion... that's the only way to ensure that the best players are playing - and guys don't take up roster space simply because they take up salary space.

Thoughts?

Hmm, I grew up in the days when everyone on the playground wanted to Be Like Mike, so if I look at that Bulls team and see other great teams they contended with over the years, Suns, Sonics, Jazz, Blazers, etc. I think you're probably right. There were some mighty talented teams back then. And of course, if you go back further, you see some teams that would mop the floor with the Heat or Spurs of today.

I think as you point out, the two major factors are expansion and players coming out of high school or college early. I think that has had a major effect on the game as you say.

But watching the C's my whole life, I can definitely say our talent is maybe not watered down, but too spread out, and that's how it always has been. I'm starting to get excited about the youngsters on this team, but I've gotta keep it in check. Heck, maybe I was naive as a teen, but I went through phases where Calbert Cheaney, Tony Battie & Ron Mercer all were at one time my favorite C's player, and the player I thought was going to turn us into a legit team....:rolleyes:

Last edited:
The NBA blows. In the 80's, there were teams that had multiple HOF's on them. The talent was so much better. I've got tapes of some 80's games, and the quality of play is special. These days, and it was far worse a couple of years ago, teams score 80-90 points, whereas years ago, they scored that many by the end of the 3rd quarter. Some people try to pass that lame excuse about the "defense" being better. Total BS. Players can't shoot anymore. It's drive to the basket versus 4 defenders ala Tony Allen, or it's heave a 3 pointer. There is no mid range game anymore. Players can't shoot with any consistency, there's less ball movement, and a complete lack of fundamentals. The game is gross.

The NBA blows. In the 80's, there were teams that had multiple HOF's on them. The talent was so much better. I've got tapes of some 80's games, and the quality of play is special. These days, and it was far worse a couple of years ago, teams score 80-90 points, whereas years ago, they scored that many by the end of the 3rd quarter. Some people try to pass that lame excuse about the "defense" being better. Total BS. Players can't shoot anymore. It's drive to the basket versus 4 defenders ala Tony Allen, or it's heave a 3 pointer. There is no mid range game anymore. Players can't shoot with any consistency, there's less ball movement, and a complete lack of fundamentals. The game is gross.

This is my recollection as well... in the 80s during the years when I was big into the Cets (who wouldn't be) they had a virtual all-star lineup. With fewer teams, and only seasoned, 3 or 4 year college players for the most part, the quality of play was much higher all around.

Today, more teams, populated with players who simply have "upside" has created a watered down NBA in my opinion.

But again, is my opinion of the lesser quality of play simply because the 80s Celtics were "freaks" in the way they all but had 5+ All Stars starting?

I mean, Bird, McHale, Parish, Ainge, DJ, later Reggie Lewis... all incredible players in their own right. Then you look at the complimentary players like Dee Brown and others - more quality.

Of course even the Celts had their guys at the end of the bench like Greg Kite who were mediocre and serviceable at best. So even in that era we had a few marginal players

Maybe the rest of the NBA of that era had 12 Greg Kites on the team, but I tend not to think so - I think the quality was much higher then.

one or two guys just make too much difference in the nba. it's worth it to draft an unpolished 18 year old and hope he pans out because if he does you're instantly competitive, and if he doesn't you're not likely to become competitive anyway through solid but unspectacular players.

the nba needs a real minor league system like baseball or a 21 year old rule like football. half of this celtics team should be in college or the minors developing against peers.

there's lots of talent, the problem is that too much of it is unpolished.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back