PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronkowski (The Horse).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gronkowski is a serious horse. The inside was very bad today and every horse that tried to do what he did, floundered

I had a buck on the exacta and broke even for the day. Fun race.

150 years from now, I predict that the Belmont track record will STILL be Secretariat's 2:24

It takes a great horse, running well on a clean track, to get within 4.18 seconds of that time.

150 years from now, I predict that the Belmont track record will STILL be Secretariat's 2:24

It takes a great horse, running well on a clean track, to get within 4.18 seconds of that time.

While you are most definitely correct that Secretariat’s track record will never be broken (GOAT racehorse), Easy Goer won the Belmont in 2:26 even in 1989 and American Pharoah did it in 2:26.65 or something close to that. Two seconds is about as close as the mortals can get.

Last edited:
There's definitely a trend towards late bloomers in the three year old crops. Justify beat the Apollo curse, he wouldn't have even been pointed towards the Triple Crown path not too long ago. Then there was West Coast last year, Arrogate (!!) the year before. Arrogate's Travers was probably the second greatest performance by a three year old in thoroughbred history. And I'm not uncertain his Dubai World Cup performance wasn't the best race ever run.

Justify was definitely a better horse than Pharoah, who benefited from the worst three year old crop in recent memory. Pharoah doesn't win the Triple Crown if he's running in 2014, California Chrome wins if he's running in 2015. But winning the Triple Crown isn't easy.

This crop wasn't nearly as bad, and horses like Vino Rosso, Tenfold, Bravazo, and Hofburg should continue to develop into legitimate forces (along with Malibu Moon and Audible), though it would have been nice to see Justify face Audible in the Belmont.

I'll be at Travers this year for the first time in like five years, so I'm pretty excited. Hopefully Baffert doesn't get cold feet after Pharoah fell victim to the Graveyard of Champions.

As for Gronkowski the horse, he ran a nice race. Didn't give believe in him coming off an injury with the European road to the Derby being notoriously low quality, but huge credit to Chad Brown and Jose, who ran his own race the whole way and let the pack wear themselves out over the 12 furlongs. Justify is just a freak and can run all day, nothing to be done. Turns out everyone else was just running for second.

There's definitely a trend towards late bloomers in the three year old crops. Justify beat the Apollo curse, he wouldn't have even been pointed towards the Triple Crown path not too long ago. Then there was West Coast last year, Arrogate (!!) the year before. Arrogate's Travers was probably the second greatest performance by a three year old in thoroughbred history. And I'm not uncertain his Dubai World Cup performance wasn't the best race ever run.

Justify was definitely a better horse than Pharoah, who benefited from the worst three year old crop in recent memory. Pharoah doesn't win the Triple Crown if he's running in 2014, California Chrome wins if he's running in 2015. But winning the Triple Crown isn't easy.

This crop wasn't nearly as bad, and horses like Vino Rosso, Tenfold, Bravazo, and Hofburg should continue to develop into legitimate forces (along with Malibu Moon and Audible), though it would have been nice to see Justify face Audible in the Belmont.

I'll be at Travers this year for the first time in like five years, so I'm pretty excited. Hopefully Baffert doesn't get cold feet after Pharoah fell victim to the Graveyard of Champions.

As for Gronkowski the horse, he ran a nice race. Didn't give believe in him coming off an injury with the European road to the Derby being notoriously low quality, but huge credit to Chad Brown and Jose, who ran his own race the whole way and let the pack wear themselves out over the 12 furlongs. Justify is just a freak and can run all day, nothing to be done. Turns out everyone else was just running for second.
I was at Travers last year. Fun weekend of racing.

I'm not going to get into my former life other than to say...I SAW Secretariat run the Belmont....with a handful of degenerates like myself back then.Lived and breathed the ponies. Saw a ton of spectacular horse flesh up close and I will tell you this..Secretariat KNEW he was the greatest horse to ever live. That race was like Jesus ,Himself descended from the heavens to perform a racing miracle...watch this and try to keep your heart in your chest...just hard to comprehend...

In case you don't know there is also another animal racer named Gronkowski,this one being a Greyhound Racing dog that won a top greyhound racing champiosnhip a few years ago....he might actually be still racing in Florida or Arizona

That one was actually named "Rob Gronkowski." :)

Looked like he got a very good ride. Last in the early running, made up ground very well on the inside going down the backstretch, second turning onto the front stretch run and running strong. Justify just had too much. Great race. Gronk looks as good on the track as he does on the gridiron.
I don't think he was given a good ride, at all.

After an honest (for 1-1/2 miles) first 2 furlongs of < 24 seconds, the next 6 were practically trotted. There was No Feckin Way that the jockey should've had Gronk so far back of the field. He was never, Ever going to make up that distance...and as FightingIrish noted, attempting to do that while riding the rail was another mistake.

So, bad ride overall.

And as soon as Justify had enough to win, I shut off the TV.

I fecking can't stand Baffert; he (and Todd Pletcher) is such an a-hole.

Now he can spend the rest of his life having sex several times a day...sure beats playing in the NFL.

I don't think they'll retire him for a while. That last half mile was impressive. He may do very well in a few of the more significant races coming up in the next 18 months.

Gronk got pretty lucky here. What a life.

I don't think they'll retire him for a while. That last half mile was impressive. He may do very well in a few of the more significant races coming up in the next 18 months.

Gronk got pretty lucky here. What a life.

He'll probably stick around for the Haskell and maybe Travers, and maybe he'll end up in a Breeder's Cup race or the Pegasus. It's tough because he's stabled in Europe and I don't think he's as good a horse as some of the other three year olds.

Judging any of these horses on any of the Triple Crown races is a mistake, generally, unless they were truly dominant. Belmont is a mile and a half, the Preakness always has a ****ty field on a ****ty track, and the Derby has the largest field imaginable (it's dangerous. frankly). You'll see the best of the crop start to coalesce at Haskell and Travers, which are races with regular fields at regular lengths. Based on the last few years, it wouldn't be really shocking if Justify wasn't even the best of the crop.

I don't think he was given a good ride, at all.

After an honest (for 1-1/2 miles) first 2 furlongs of < 24 seconds, the next 6 were practically trotted. There was No Feckin Way that the jockey should've had Gronk so far back of the field. He was never, Ever going to make up that distance...and as FightingIrish noted, attempting to do that while riding the rail was another mistake.

So, bad ride overall.

And as soon as Justify had enough to win, I shut off the TV.

I fecking can't stand Baffert; he (and Todd Pletcher) is such an a-hole.

I don't know, I don't think you can run the 12 furlongs like a normal race. Jose let the pack tire itself out. He wasn't going to catch Justify, but he was never going to catch Justify. Smith didn't even have to ask much of him for the last furlong or so, he just glided to victory. Jose was running for second the whole time, and he found a channel to get there. The pack kept to the rail (predictably, given the distance) and he could pick his channel coming off it around the turn.

Going to be interesting to see if Justify can take the Grand Slam. With Gun Runner gone to stud, absent a new challenger appearing, it's hard for me to see the likes of Accelerate or West Coast or Gunnevara giving him too much of a hassle.

Last edited:
Congrats to Justify on running a terrific race. Gonk was screwed by his jockey. I look forward to seeing Justify at the Haskell on July 29th in Monmouth County, NJ. Hopefully Gronk will run in the same race, maybe I will see Gronk the Pats TE as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes