PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Flag on coach precedent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Canin

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I'm perplexed by the animus that Joey Porter's being on the field during an injury timeout appears to have evoked.

In the history of the NFL, can anyone point to a single instance in which a coach was flagged for being on the field during an injury timeout?

To my knowledge, it's never happened (and it seems absurd if it did).

If in fact it's never happened, then why are so many (like thousands) of people insisting Porter should have been flagged for being on the field?

Of course, some also argue Porter should have been flagged for taunting, but there is no evidence whatsoever, at least publicly, that Porter taunted anyone; or, if he did, that the refs heard it and that this "taunting" was any different from the banter that routinely occurs between teams during a game.

One thing I find curious about these blog imbroglios is the way in which an ostensibly bizarre claim - "a coach on the field during an injury timeout should be flagged" - is published and somehow, just by sheer repetition, it begins to seem plausible.

Last edited:
I swear Tomlin got flagged a couple of years back for getting in Jacoby Jones way.

Pittsburgh has a history of this. The dictator commish wants to talk about integrity, well what the hell is this ?

I swear Tomlin got flagged a couple of years back for getting in Jacoby Jones way.

Pittsburgh has a history of this. The dictator commish wants to talk about integrity, well what the hell is this ?

There is a difference between a timeout and during a play.

There is a difference between a timeout and during a play.

So now I ask you which is worse?

Porter was an overrated blowhard, that only made the news because of his mouth. And its the same now. Hes irrelevant. He went in there to rile up the Bungles.

Pittsburgh is a dirty, dirty, dirty ass team. I hate them.

Last edited:
Can you imagine BB's coaches pulling a players hair, getting into verbal confrontations with players during a game or any of this type of brouhaha???.. Lewis and Tomlin should both be suspended and fined for defying memos from the NFL as well as compromising the "integrity" of the NFL..

Remember when Roger had a shyt fit when BB defied him by videotaping in the wrong position on the field in violation of a memo???

Joe Porter is who he is a loud mouth Pitt Player, who has turned into a loud mouth Pitt Coach..

So now I ask you which is worse?

Porter was an overrated blowhard, that only made the news because of his mouth. And its the same now. Hes irrelevant. He went in there to rile up the Bungles.

Pittsburgh is a dirty, dirty, dirty ass team. I hate them.
I don't think Triplin was flagged for that play as I recall. It's a shame the Ravens didn't lose that game, probably gets him in a lot more trouble

In the history of the NFL, can anyone point to a single instance in which a coach was flagged for being on the field during an injury timeout?
Can you point to point to a single time when a coach went on the field during an injury timeout to get in a verbal confrontation with opposing players?

Porter's actions were ridiculous and deserve to be called out. The refs had every reason to flag him and didn't, which also deserves to be called out.

I'm perplexed by the animus that Joey Porter's being on the field during an injury timeout appears to have evoked.

To my knowledge, it's never happened (and it seems absurd if it did).

If in fact it's never happened, then why are so many (like thousands) of people insisting Porter should have been flagged for being on the field?

Of course, some also argue Porter should have been flagged for taunting, but there is no evidence whatsoever, at least publicly, that Porter taunted anyone; or, if he did, that the refs heard it and that this "taunting" was any different from the banter that routinely occurs between teams during a game.

One thing I find curious about these blog imbroglios is the way in which an ostensibly bizarre claim - "a coach on the field during an injury timeout should be flagged" - is published and somehow, just by sheer repetition, it begins to seem plausible.

As has been pointed out several times since this has happened, it's illegal for a coach to be on the field. I posted a quote from Blandino himself in 2013 and the rule has been posted all over the board as well. The referees let it go in the instance of injury timeouts and swallow their whistles. Porter, who obviously wasn't out there to assist with an injury, should have been flagged the moment he began running his mouth. There was a situation with Harbaugh a couple of years ago in their playoff game against the Panthers where Blandino stated, as clear as day, afterward that they really don't want coaches on the field and it needs to be flagged when it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes