PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eric Alexander

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art_Vandelay421

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Can anyone give me a bit more insight on this Patriot linebacker? Was it my imagination or did he play pretty well in pre season last year? Funny in the 2-3 games I saw he seemed to be all over the place. Everyone talks about TBC but can this LSU linebacker have any chance of being more than a ST player?

Last edited:
Eric Alexander??? Yes...

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with 726's assessment ... and your own observations.

Of course, we have very little to go on for the "minor" players.
But the key to watch with all of them is their progress thru the system ...
merely for the coaches to keep certain ones around is telling.

Alexander has now completed two full years ... shuttling between p/s and roster.
They did have alternatives. Thus, i conclude that they think ... he is a keeper.
His main competition would be Roach ... and Alexander's two years of study greatly tilts the playing field in his favor.

flutie2phelan said:
Agree with 726's assessment ... and your own observations.

Of course, we have very little to go on for the "minor" players.
But the key to watch with all of them is their progress thru the system ...
merely for the coaches to keep certain ones around is telling.

Alexander has now completed two full years ... shuttling between p/s and roster.
They did have alternatives. Thus, i conclude that they think ... he is a keeper.
His main competition would be Roach ... and Alexander's two years of study greatly tilts the playing field in his favor.
Atually IR as well..thrown in 04.....I agree he is a keeper..but again really limited face time in games, even preseason. MORE on ST than playing. WHat is interesting is, its a must year for him..no PSqd to fall back on. SO it wil be interesting how he fairs.

Banta-Cain has a role as a pass-rusher. He has had that role for three years. He isn't going anywhere. It seems that we need seven linebackers:
Colvin,Bruschi,Beisel,Vrabel

Banta-Cain seems more of a lock than last year

Claridge should make the squad if he's healthy
--------------------------------------------
How many position linebackers should we keep? Eight seems like plenty to me. For me, Alexander is competing with Mincey, Gardner and Roach for the spot at the end of the bench. And Alexander does have the edge. He is a pretty good STer and he knows the system.
---------------------------------------------
My roster formula is 6 DL, 8 LB, 8 DB and 3-4 top STer's.
It will be tough competing for the ST jobs: Davis, Izzo, Jones, Mitchell, the Scott's, Pass and Andrews. If Pass gets the 5th RB job, then there are only 3 ST positions available. Injuries of course affect the last couple of roster spots.
------------------------------------------------
BOTTOM LINE
I think it will be a tough fight between Alexander and Mincey.

mgteich said:
.... Alexander is competing with Mincey, Gardner and Roach for the spot at the end of the bench. And Alexander does have the edge. He is a pretty good STer and he knows the system.
---------------------------------------------
My roster formula is 6 DL, 8 LB, 8 DB and 3-4 top STer's.
It will be tough competing for the ST jobs: Davis, Izzo, Jones, Mitchell, the Scott's, Pass and Andrews. If Pass gets the 5th RB job, then there are only 3 ST positions available. Injuries of course affect the last couple of roster spots.
------------------------------------------------
BOTTOM LINE
I think it will be a tough fight between Alexander and Mincey.

Let's start with your most significant statement: injuries. Injuries unquestionably
have ruled the roster for us ... for years.
But i have a hot tip direct from Loki ! This year is the year that our dear lads ...
regress to the mean ... injury-wise. No problem!

My current mock conforms to your formula ... except in allowing - possibly - all 3 of the ST aces to be DBs.
That would be if BOTH Mitchell and Tebucky beat out Davis for two spots ... and if
either Willie Andrews OR Vernell Brown beat out Bethel for another.

Larry Izzo, i imagine, definitely can no longer hold his own against all this young talent on STs.
Barry Gardner is simply a cipher to me. Chauncey Gardiner, anyone? Chauncey the gardener?
Since i cannot factor him in any way ... i ignore him.

Last edited:
I agree that Alexander has looked good in preseason, but remember that he is usually on the field against 2nd and 3rd stringers. I think his real opportunity is in Matt Chatham's spot. Chatham was a stalwart on ST, and none of our new ST/DBs have his size. It's Alexander's time to step up, or the opportunity will pass him by.

AllabouttheVinces said:
IIt's Alexander's time to step up, or the opportunity will pass him by.
I think that sums it up..his 2 years on the PSqd os over..so it's step up or be out....I agree...I do think TBC is close to a lock..(another discussion another time..) and maybe EA can step up into a place..I know I had his % to make the squad at 20....maybe 40 might be closer..The problem is,,he hasn't played all that much..even in preseason. Hard to see what and how he has done behoiond the scenes..practices etc..
whether the coaches have seen something that the fans do not. A n importnat camp for him.

I thought he was the best linebacker in the middle of the defense during the preseason but never got a chance during the season. He couldn't have been worse than Biesel and Brown. I hope he gets a shot.

p8ryts said:
I thought he was the best linebacker in the middle of the defense during the preseason but never got a chance during the season. He couldn't have been worse than Biesel and Brown. I hope he gets a shot.
I think you're forgetting how good Beisel looked in pre-season and all the positive write-ups on the guy. He was fast, high-motor, hard-hitting, all of it.

Yes, Alexander looked good in pre-season, I think I remember a game where he batted down a couple of passes, but he's not beating out Beisel for a roster spot. I'm with the folks who think that Beisel shows up to camp much improved. And that Alexander is fighting for a backup/ST role ala Chatham.

You are correct, Alexander looked solid in the preseason last year. Of course compared to Beisel and Brown, a pine tree would have looked pretty good out there.

If I had to guess, the reason Chatham made the team last year and Alexander went to the PS, is because Alexander is not as strong on ST. Chatham beat him out as a ST demon.

If I'm Alexander, I'm thinking I have to outperform Beisel, Claridge and Roach on ST in order to make the team this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes