PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can Chad break the Gators WR Curse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Rings for Brady!!

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I don't follow the Gators. The media's rationale for why Gators WRs don't work out in the NFL is because 'the WRs drafted before them didn't work out'. Does anyone have some more in-depth opinions on how Spurrier's and Meyer's offenses are run, and why we should think that Chad Jackson is going to be NFL worthy based on his time in Meyer's system.

Does anyone know if Jackson can run decent rhoutes, and why he had low Yards After the Catch? I saw some news coverage on him that suggested he doesn't use his body correctly after the catch, and doesn't turn upfield sharply enough. I think this was a big knock on him in the draft.

Does anyone have a technical analysis on this kid?

I say he can. Hes part of a new coach with Gators..Meyer changed everything up. His low ypc was because he wasnt used properly..he was used as inside guy and ran mostly short patterns that are 5 - 10 yards. His route running is great..its not that he cant do what he needs to..its that he improvises a lot..changes it up a little but BB, Brady and Troy Brown can definatley help with that. His hands are great, his speed is great, he can make all the catches..tough ones easy ones..none of the ex Gator WRs really worked hard..they all did the same in their friendly system and got success..Jackson was forced to work harder..adjust from using his speed to turning into a possesion guy inside and didnt get much deep action. BB loved him..wanted him in first very likely if we hadnt taken Maroney but he slipped to 2nd..a steal
strengths

Has excellent size...Is an outstanding natural athlete...Has very good speed and quickness...Is explosive with a burst...Runs well after the catch and in the open field...Has solid and reliable hands...Runs good routes...An excellent leaper...Not afraid to work the middle of the field...Can be a vertical threat...A weapon in the red zone...Has not yet reached his full potential and still has a lot of upside.

Weakness: Didn't really emerge as a top threat until just this past season...Basically only has one year of starting experience...Needs to get stronger...Is not very physical or aggressive...Can improve as a blocker...Was not a major deep threat as a junior...For the most part the recent top Gator wide receiver prospects (Travis Taylor, Reidel Anthony, Reche Caldwell, Jabar Gaffney, etc.) have disappointed.

Final say: A well-rounded and talented prospect who possesses all the physical tools you look for in a #1 NFL wideout.

So he can be a deep threat if used differently..which he will. He can do inside work and catch shorter..can go over middle..hes strong but needs to be a more aggresive and get more physical with the corners so he doesnt get jammed and such and hes got great body control

Last edited:
One aspect of Meyer's system/Jackson's game is that the WR's are required to pre-read the defense, which applies to the Patriots' system as well. My understanding is that he runs good routes, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
no he doesnt. thats his weakness.

it was always like this
Holmes=better routes
Jackson=better hands

he rounds cuts..take different angles..improvises..needs to sink hips a little getting out of a route

Do you suppose Urban Meyer talked BB into acquiring Caldwell?

shakadave said:

Do you suppose Urban Meyer is secretly running the Patriots, and the BB and SP we see are actually body doubles of the real ones, tied up in the bowels of the Razor?

Darrell Jackson is not cursed with ideal size, so he can actually make a cut.

It's a non issue. The issue was with Spurrier WR, not Florida WR. The team he played for and the uniform he wore are irrelevant. If he'd been with Spurrier for 4 years then it would be a valid concern. As has been noted, Belichick specifically like Urban Meyers' WR as they have to do more reading and reacting than the average college WR.

Here is the skinny on the wide receivers in the 2006 draft according to one sportswriter. He actually has Jackson rated ahead of Holmes.

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/stats.asp?slug=BC-FBP-LGNS-WRCAPS-R

Can Jackson break the mold? Yes. He was coached up in Urban Meyer's system, not Spurrier's. Urban Meyer WRs actually need to do pre-play reads against the defense. That will help C. Jackson immensely in helping him learn the Pats pro offense. And as far as physical tools, Jackson has superior size and speed to Holmes.

BelichickFan said:
It's a non issue. The issue was with Spurrier WR, not Florida WR. The team he played for and the uniform he wore are irrelevant. If he'd been with Spurrier for 4 years then it would be a valid concern. As has been noted, Belichick specifically like Urban Meyers' WR as they have to do more reading and reacting than the average college WR.

I saw someone criticized Urban Myer's "funky offense" on the Holmes over Jackson thread - don't follow the Gators all that closely but that was news to me.

As I said on another thread, given Spurier's undisciplined offense - its no surprise to me that Gator WRs don't have a great track record.

Its also not surprising to me that took until his last season for Jackson to get out of the Spurrier mindset and into the Myer mindset and show production.

In terms of Jackson's route running it looks average to me - its a credit to Myers that he often had Jackson coming across the middle - mainly because he DOES have such good hands, he was often used as a posession receiver.

Its a credit to Myers because one of Jackson's core competencies is his speed going deep down the field - and he helped Jackson diversify his abilities last season - making him that much more valuable to any NFL team.

I am confident that his route runnng will improve over time, but I expect the Patriots will keep things VERY simple for Jackson at first, allowing him to use his speed to gain separation, knowing that Brady is accurate enough to find him once that happens.

Didn't Givens have to learn not just rhoute running, but essentially the whole position? I saw him listed as kind of a jack of all positions in college.

How far off is Jackson's rhoute running?

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
Didn't Givens have to learn not just rhoute running, but essentially the whole position? I saw him listed as kind of a jack of all positions in college.
Yeah, they didn't run the ball much in Notre Dame, and he had about no experience.

Do you recall that draft? The Pats didn't even want him

I remember being annoyed because team after team that picked BEHIND the Pats were making picks while they tried to trade the pick away. When no one bought, they picked Givens.

He made the team with special teams play. His hands were horrible the first year. Made Graham looked like Kellen Winslow.

He learned

I just wanted to say...

GATOR-AIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDD!

We'll get a look-see at what he can do in about a month... All reports are very positive so far.

PFnV

Before the draft, BB quizzed Chad on the offense and he passed.

http://www.patriots.com/search/index.cfm?ac=searchdetail&pid=18911&pcid=46&special_section=draft2006

Jackson has obviously already taken steps to impress the coaching staff and earn the draft day call. Belichick and his assistants worked him out in Florida, leaving the star receiver parts of the New England offense to study. When Jackson visited Foxboro he was re-quizzed on his homework.

“They gave me the offense a little bit and I came back and broke down for them what they gave me,” Jackson said. “I ran it back to them on the board and film. They were the only team that did that for me. I thought that they were pretty interested in me. I had at least four or five visits with the Patriots and I felt pretty good on all the visits.”

Last edited:
THEARCHIVES said:
He will break the curse for one reason only....He's pitch black. Pitch Blacks always prevail. Jackson just looks too tight to fail. End of story!

I'm still not convinced, but if your Jewish accountant says you can bank on Jackson I'll go along with you.

D.J. Dozier
Blair Thomas
Ki-Jana Carter
Curtis Enis
Larry Johnson... umm wait a minute ...

shakadave said:

No, Meyer didn't coach Caldwell at Florida so there isn't any connection there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST