PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Beckett Robbed of the Cy Young

It was nice of the baseball writers of america to call him 'Jose Beckett' in their media peices! :rolleyes:

I challenge you to make the argument that Beckett deserved the award over Sabathia, or even Lackey for that matter. Beckett being second is an indictment of the idiots who vote and how much they value name recognition and 20 wins.

Remember, nothing that happened in the playoffs counts towards the Cy.

I'd take Beckett over any pitcher in baseball right now thanks to what we saw in October, but that doesn't mean I have to be blind when it comes to the fact that he didn't deserve the Cy.

Not sure why he lost, he had one more win and era was simmiliar. Both clubs were said to be even, so its not like he had to be supeman pitching for a lowly club. You would think, if only one pitcher won 20 games, and everything else equal, that pitcher would get the award.

I have to agree that CC deserved it since its based solely on the regular season. It seems that if #1 and #2 each get to perform in the post season then perhaps the writers should have had a chance to use post season performance; but that's not what the rule says. Becket got a bit hosed in only getting to pitch one game in the WS too. So he was behind the 8 ball with respect to the Series MVP award. He's the closest thing Baseball has to Tom Brady and everyone knows it. So there's some solace there. Plus there's the ring. You don't get an obnoxiously giant ring for winning the Cy Young award.

It was a super close call.
In the end, Becket didn't crack 200 innings while CC was a workhorse at over 240 innings.

Super close.

Not sure why he lost, he had one more win and era was simmiliar. Both clubs were said to be even, so its not like he had to be supeman pitching for a lowly club. You would think, if only one pitcher won 20 games, and everything else equal, that pitcher would get the award.

The pitchers were very close. Sabathia had a slightly better ERA. Beckett had one more win. Sabathia started 4 more games and pitched 40 more innings. That's a sizable difference, and the only real difference between them. Advantage - Sabathia.

In the end, Becket didn't crack 200 innings while CC was a workhorse at over 240 innings.

Nitpicking here, but Beckett actually pitched 200 2/3 innings.

I challenge you to make the argument that Beckett deserved the award over Sabathia, or even Lackey for that matter. Beckett being second is an indictment of the idiots who vote and how much they value name recognition and 20 wins.

I'd take Beckett over any pitcher in baseball right now thanks to what we saw in October, but that doesn't mean I have to be blind when it comes to the fact that he didn't deserve the Cy.

I said the same thing to my friends here in Boston before the season ended. They all told me Beckett was going to win, and I told them he very well could, would be deserving, but that Sabathia was the best pitcher this past year (regular season of course). Anyhow, today they think he got robbed. Beckett got 6.42 runs per start, while CC got 5.10. CC pitched 24 games of 7+ inning ball, while Beckett did so only 14 times. Sabathia set the MLB record for lefties, with a 5.65 k/BB ratio (209k/37BB). He pitched 19 games with 6+ innings, and less than 2 runs allowed, Beckett pitched 14. People look at wins, and think the guy with the most had the best season. There are so many more numbers and angles to consider than wins. Beckett had an awesome regular season, and an exceptional post season. The Cy is based on the regular season only, and the vote is taken on the last day (or maybe the day after) of the season. The voters got the award right, which isn't to say that Beckett wouldn't have been a worthy winner.

The voting takes place before the playoffs - so take Beckett's post season performance out of the mix, and consider that Sabathia indeed may have been more valuable to the Tribe than Beckett was - being one of many great Boston players - was to his team and I don't think anyone is shocked or insulted by this vote.

From another place where I post:

If you rank the 44 AL pitchers with 150+ IP by the overall OPS of the batters whom they faced, Roy Halladay and Curt Schilling tie for first with .775 (OK, Halladay by a smidge). The AL East can be tough. Josh Beckett got the luck of the draw among Red Sox pitchers, though: Wakefield was eighth and Matsuzaka was thirteenth, but Beckett was only 27th out of 44 pitchers, facing batters with an OPS of .757.

CC Sabathia was 44th of 44 pitchers ranked. His opposing batters had a combined OPS of .738. Fausto Carmona was 42nd of 44 pitchers, facing batters with an OPS of .747. Both of the Cleveland aces faced unusually easy lineups over the course of the season. FWIW, Lackey was 30th, not far behind Beckett.

A difference of 19 OPS points between Sabathia's and Beckett's opposing batters might've subtracted a quarter-run odd* from Sabathia's ERA. If Sabathia's ERA were closer to Scott Kazmir's, not below Josh Beckett's, and if his record were 18-8, not 19-7, would it have made a difference?

If one takes quality of opposing batters into consideration, Sabathia and Beckett look very close, Carmona falls out of competition, and Roy Halladay becomes a dark-horse contender.

Sabathia pitched for an ALDS team, had the weakest opposition hitting of any qualifying AL starter, and he still didn't win as many games as Beckett. At some point the non-parametric stat of enabling his team to win has to be considered, too.

Last edited:
I knew you Boston sports fans would start whining when this announcement was made. It's the way to go in Boston. Whine like babies.

Your team won the damn championship.

Why be obessessed of awards like that?

Pedoria was even lucky to win the Rookie of the Year. I thought Joba Chamberlain should have won it, but I ain't going to lose sleep.

For the record, I thought Beckett should have won it.

Let me guess. Santana stole Schilling's Cy Young award in 2004, right.

I
Pedoria was even lucky to win the Rookie of the Year. I thought Joba Chamberlain should have won it, but I ain't going to lose sleep.

Based on what, Joba did not even get any votes now did he??

I knew you Boston sports fans would start whining when this announcement was made. It's the way to go in Boston. Whine like babies.

Why be obessessed of awards like that?

Wow, and I thought you would be too ashamed to come back here. Then again, have you posted on the Celtics forum yet? How about them Nets!

They owe Beckett next year now, and they know it. If he is in a close race next year for the Cy, they will vote him because they know he got screwed over this year.

Why be obsessed of awards like that?

Pedroia (please spell it right) was lucky to win because Jobba should have won it.......and we whine? So exactly what day did Joba pitch his first game? Please make your case for him, because it should be entertaining!

From another place where I post:

Sabathia pitched for an ALDS team, had the weakest opposition hitting of any qualifying AL starter, and he still didn't win as many games as Beckett. At some point the non-parametric stat of enabling his team to win has to be considered, too.

Even if you eliminate Sabathia then Lackey or Haren should have won. Beckett missed 4 games while other guys didn't.

Then you are an idiot. He pitched 24 innings. Buchholz pitched 22 2/3 innings and threw a no-hitter. Maybe he should have gotten it.

Pedroia was in fact lucky, but it was due to the fact that there wasn't a good power hitting rookie this year. Thank you Alex Gordon.

Nope, but Santana was robbed of the Cy in 2005. The only reason I might believe Beckett deserved the Cy this year is because Bartolo Colon got one in 2005 solely because he won 20 games.

Last edited:
They owe Beckett next year now, and they know it. If he is in a close race next year for the Cy, they will vote him because they know he got screwed over this year.

I'm not seeing it - Beckett was as deserving as Sabathia - but that doesn't mean Beckett was robbed.

He and Sabathia had a nearly identical ERAs but Sabathia did it pitching many more innings, even though Beckett had one more win.

Give the advantage to Sabathia on that as ERA and innings pitched SHOULD trump wins and losses when it comes to pitching.

Since playoff performance can't be considered it winds up being a split decision - and that's what wound up happening.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back