PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ball never touched the ground

Cohle

On the Roster
Reaction score
spWMumg_d.webp

The replay officials never have all the angles and zoom/enhance we see well after the game.

They are limited in time - even thought he do run over from time to time.

Human error is a thing.

Still - they got it wrong. Completely wrong.

The replay officials never have all the angles and zoom/enhance we see well after the game.

Human error is a thing.

The call on the field was touchdown and they need conclusive evidence to overturn a call. Should have stayed as is

Bad call....but good teams avoid using bad calls as the excuse for losing.
A big problem is that the patriots do not have the resilience to overcome bad calls.
Good teams find a way to win despite bad calls.
Even with the crap calls, they made many bad mistakes and did not deserve to win.

The unforgivable part is that everyone could see his hand underneath the ball, so therefore it was impossible to confirm that the ball hit the ground, and therefore impossible to overturn the initial TD call. It’s nice to see this pic confirming the catch, but the onus was on replay to confirm the ball hit the ground, which anyone could tell was impossible to do once the first angle was seen.

Bah, I'd say this is still a legitimate conversation. Especially after the NFL's head of officiating is now citing rules that no longer exist today ("surviving the ground"). And now learning the NFL broke it's own "clear and obvious" rule by taking longer than 60 seconds to review the play. Plus Belichick is still pissed about it.

Hurley: NFL's explanation for overturned Patriots touchdown somehow makes it even worse

This is a great article that references Walt Anderson out right lying about why a Bengals touchdown was called back. If I recall correctly, the officiating in that game cost me about $7-8k (Bengals won by the touchdown wrongly awarded on that play), would have been my biggest win of all time (on a $40 bet to boot). Article also makes the argument for it being a touchdown in compliance with the new rule.

Last edited:
Imagine ragging on fellow fans (of the team most of us here support) for getting upset at an obviously bad call.

How dare you all get upset at the officials for screwing the team we support ... how dare you!

Like, that's a rite of passage of being a sports fan - b*tching about the officiating. Just because other fans (who support different teams, including rivals) also b*tch about officiating doesn't mean that we shouldn't ... or that we're wrong.

It's like saying we should stop drinking coffee because Jets fans drink coffee. Or stop showering because (some) Jets fans shower. I'll be damned if I'm not allowed to complain about obviously bad/wrong calls that hurt the team I root for.

Last edited:
The NYJFL's office overturning this call has to be one of the worst replay calls in many years. By the rule today, that was a catch the minute he grabbed it with both hands & got both feet down. Catch - TD - dead ball. That's how they called it for Kelce.

The bias in this game, from the poor refereeing, to the biased replay officials, right down to the announcers gleefully quoting rules that are no longer rules, made it impossible to watch at times. It was so bad, that I'm taking next week off. After watching the NFL screw over the Pats this week on national TV, I am not going through that again next week. Maybe I'll watch it the day after if this doesn't happen again.

The unforgivable part is that everyone could see his hand underneath the ball, so therefore it was impossible to confirm that the ball hit the ground, and therefore impossible to overturn the initial TD call. It’s nice to see this pic confirming the catch, but the onus was on replay to confirm the ball hit the ground, which anyone could tell was impossible to do once the first angle was seen.
I can understand bad on field calls. But the NFL did not following its own rules and procedures. Why is that?

Human error is a thing.

There's a very good chance that the replay official is a former member of the New Jersey Jets, just like the commish and the guy who actually did mess with the footballs in 2014. Human Error is their motto.

The official citing obsolete rules seems insane to me. Seems like grounds for a protest. And seems like grounds for one of those fan lawsuits that you see every once in awhile.

The official citing obsolete rules seems insane to me. Seems like grounds for a protest. And seems like grounds for one of those fan lawsuits that you see every once in awhile.
That always get thrown out, because the fans don't have any right to a particular product.

Didn't they change this rule in the middle of the 2017 season, which helped the Eagles win the super bowl?

Walt Anderson, who made the call from NY, was the deflategate ref and is 70 years old...he probably should retire

Didn't they change this rule in the middle of the 2017 season, which helped the Eagles win the super bowl?

Walt Anderson, who made the call from NY, was the deflategate ref and is 70 years old...he probably should retire
I thought they changed it that season between the AFCCG (when a similar catch to Henry's by Jesse James was overturned) and the Super Bowl (when a similar catch by someone, maybe Ertz or a running back, was upheld). But I could be misremembering/conflating multiple Steelers games.

The NYJFL's office overturning this call has to be one of the worst replay calls in many years. By the rule today, that was a catch the minute he grabbed it with both hands & got both feet down. Catch - TD - dead ball. That's how they called it for Kelce.

The bias in this game, from the poor refereeing, to the biased replay officials, right down to the announcers gleefully quoting rules that are no longer rules, made it impossible to watch at times. It was so bad, that I'm taking next week off. After watching the NFL screw over the Pats this week on national TV, I am not going through that again next week. Maybe I'll watch it the day after if this doesn't happen again.

In my mind, not based on the rules, mostly because I'm not sure what "a football move" is (When one is playing football, isn't everything considered a "football move"?), I think that both plays in that clip should have been catches, but only Kelce's catch should have been a TD. Henry's second foot never comes down until after his elbow hits the ground and then he loses control of the ball. But since his hand is under the ball the refs should have ruled him down at the 1/2 yard line.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back