PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Any one see the end of the Michigan/Nebraska game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
32-28 Nebraska, snap is with 1 second left in 4th quarter by Michigan from the Michigan 35, they throw it all around and eventually an O-linemen drops it but another Michigan player picks it up. All of Nebraska's players run onto the field, so the Michigan runner goes up the sidelines with only 1 blocker but is knocked out at the 15.

No flags for the Nebraska entrance.

15 yards away from being the second coming of the Cal/Stanford play.

Last edited:
pats1 said:
32-28 Nebraska, snap is with 1 second left in 4th quarter by Michigan from the Michigan 35, they throw it all around and eventually an O-linemen drops it but another Michigan player picks it up. All of Nebraska's players run onto the field, so the Michigan runner goes up the sidelines with only 1 blocker but is knocked out at the 15.

No flags for the Nebraska entrance.

15 yards away from being the second coming of the Cal/Stanford play.

You like Mike Trico conveniently missed the part where Michigan players also came onto the field. Trico is about a disgrace to football.

huskeralk said:
You like Mike Trico conveniently missed the part where Michigan players also came onto the field. Trico is about a disgrace to football.

Uhh, Mike hart was almost tackled by a N head coming on to the field before any Michigan player or coach ever came on to the field.

But anyway congrats on an Alamo Bowl victory. :rolleyes:

PatsFanInEaglesLand said:
Uhh, Mike hart was almost tackled by a N head coming on to the field before any Michigan player or coach ever came on to the field.

But anyway congrats on an Alamo Bowl victory. :rolleyes:

I didn't see that but even if it did happen, that makes it okay for the Michigan players to come on the field? At the very least there should have been a flag on both teams. Where would that have gotten Michigan?

I saw it. I don't care about either team, but all I could think was: WTF IS THAT? It was a strange sequence to end the game and the Officials clearly didn't have control of that game at the end.

Brownfan80 said:
I saw it. I don't care about either team, but all I could think was: WTF IS THAT? It was a strange sequence to end the game and the Officials clearly didn't have control of that game at the end.

There wasn't a single point in that game where the officials did have control of the game.

Last edited:
Lloyd Carr is a dumb coach and Michigan is a dumb team.

Carr is too self-absorbed to see his own fatal flows.

To lose to unranked Nebraska is pathetic.

If you are a Michigan fan, the Michigan football teams always break your heart.

From the Kordell Stewart's Colorado game, to Lou Holtz's Notre Dame, to Jim Tressel's Ohio State, the Michigan teams lost in the most improbable and painful ways possible.

The Charlie Weis's era at Notre Dame will signal the end of the Lloyd Carr's regime at Michigan.

mikey said:
Lloyd Carr is a dumb coach and Michigan is a dumb team.

Carr is too self-absorbed to see his own fatal flows.

If you are a Michigan fan, the Michigan football teams always break your heart.

From the Kordell Stewart's Colorado game, to Lou Holtz's Notre Dame, to Jim Tressel's Ohio State, the Michigan teams lost in the most improbable and painful ways possible.

The Charlie Weis's era at Notre Dame will signal the end of the Lloyd Carr's regime at Michigan.

Well, one recent Michigan highlight saw a certain quarterback from San Mateo, CA throw for 369 yards and four touchdowns in an overtime Orange Bowl win. (January 02, 2000).

mikey said:

You are seriously underestimating this Nebraska team. It's not the same team that people saw earlier in the season. They will be making alot of noise next season.

Before you read, keep in mind that I am a Michigan fan.

The officiating was possibly the worst I have ever seen, including hometown high school games. Although the general judgment of the referees was horrible, I am just disgusted by the way that Lloyd Carr had to take two timeouts so that he could challenge two different plays during the game, and not because Nebraska was hurrying up but because the refs weren't paying attention. The point of instant replay is to help teams, and having to waste a timeout to use it defeats the purpose. Having two timeouts would have allowed us a few more plays to try and beat Nebraska.

On another note, the announcers during the game must have been Nebraska or Ohio State alumni. They talked the entire game as if Nebraska was up by 30 and didn't give any credit to the Michigan defense, who sacked Zac Taylor 5 times and hit him even more, preventing the Nebraska offense from functioning (5 out of 7 drives were ended by a punt or interception).

BTW, this is the official chart of the last play:
Henne (1 completion for 51 yards)
Avant (gets the reception for a total of –3)
Breaston (no reception for 0 yards)
Manningham (no reception for –13)
Hart (gets no reception for +5)
Ecker (no reception for +62)

I only saw a little bit of it, I'm just glad that Nebraska won because I get tired of the Big Ten fans overrating their conference. Now we need Charlie to beat the Buckeyes :)

Terrible officiating, no question.

However, I went to Northwestern, so I can't say I'm heartbroken at Michigan's misfortune. Though I do dislike Nebraska.

Before the Alamo Bowl I had been 10-0 picking bowl games for my ESPN pick 'em league, so I had a vested interest in this game (I picked the Wolverines). First of all we can all agree the refs were a disgrace. Secondly the final play was working PERFECTLY until that selfish TE decided to run down the sidelines with a horrible angle and a Nebraska CB/WR in front of him. But the killer is that the TE had a faster CB/WR right behind him that could've cut back to the other side of the field and walked in for a TD.

What

drpatriot said:
Before you read, keep in mind that I am a Michigan fan.

The officiating was possibly the worst I have ever seen, including hometown high school games. Although the general judgment of the referees was horrible, I am just disgusted by the way that Lloyd Carr had to take two timeouts so that he could challenge two different plays during the game, and not because Nebraska was hurrying up but because the refs weren't paying attention. The point of instant replay is to help teams, and having to waste a timeout to use it defeats the purpose. Having two timeouts would have allowed us a few more plays to try and beat Nebraska.

On another note, the announcers during the game must have been Nebraska or Ohio State alumni. They talked the entire game as if Nebraska was up by 30 and didn't give any credit to the Michigan defense, who sacked Zac Taylor 5 times and hit him even more, preventing the Nebraska offense from functioning (5 out of 7 drives were ended by a punt or interception).

BTW, this is the official chart of the last play:
Henne (1 completion for 51 yards)
Avant (gets the reception for a total of –3)
Breaston (no reception for 0 yards)
Manningham (no reception for –13)
Hart (gets no reception for +5)
Ecker (no reception for +62)

With all due respect: what game were you watching? Let me preface this by saying that i am a big Nebraska fan and have been all of my life. (my mom's family is from there and we used to go out as a kid every august and visit family. I got to watch practices back in the "irving fryar" days!)

Anyway, the announcers were just terrible (not as bad as the ref's but close) however i thought they were for michigan. When nebraska would score they would be normal commentating, but when michigan would score they were screaming about it. This only happend in the first half (that i remember) and the second half seemed a lot better (not great commentating, just less "homerism"!)

The refs had no control of the game from the opening kickoff. (great call by the NCAA having a crew from the sunbelt conference ref this game :rolleyes: ) Just an example of that was the two consecutive punts by Neb: the mich player caught the ball and was immediately hit by a Neb player. The first time it was a penalty (which gave it to mich at the 50 and they ended up scoring a TD) and the second was no penalty. ESPN (who i thought did a horible job with the camera work in both the BC/BS game and the Neb/Mich game) showed the plays back to back and it looked like the same play (you couldn't tell which was which) but there were different calls. Every time a call had to be made the refs were standing around looking at each other!

On the final play Mich players and Neb players were on the field before the play was over; so there should have been a flag on both teams. Overall it was a good game that could have been better with a compatent crew working the game!

Last edited:
Tee-hee, tee-hee.

Weasels lose.

a Buckeye

mtbykr said:
With all due respect: what game were you watching? Let me preface this by saying that i am a big Nebraska fan and have been all of my life. (my mom's family is from there and we used to go out as a kid every august and visit family. I got to watch practices back in the "irving fryar" days!)

Anyway, the announcers were just terrible (not as bad as the ref's but close) however i thought they were for michigan. When nebraska would score they would be normal commentating, but when michigan would score they were screaming about it. This only happend in the first half (that i remember) and the second half seemed a lot better (not great commentating, just less "homerism"!)
What area do you live in? Maybe they broadcasted different announcers (unlikely). Or we just interpreted the announcers differently, because I would have said everything you said about their bias towards Michigan about their bias towards Nebraska.

Either way, they were horrible announcers. :)

I fell asleep during the game, but I saw the replay on ESPN tonight.

Agree with Sey93 on the TE. But he had to go towards the sidelines as THERE WERE 3 COACHES FROM MI on the field that he would have had to thread his way through.

What a debacle.

R

The NCAA head official said since there were coaches and players from both teams on the field, there would have been negating penalties that ended the game anyway, so they decided to let them play.

Not to be sour grapes, but I agree that it was one of the worst officiated games I have ever seen. Burning those two timeouts to get replays did "M" in on that final drive. Manningham was interfered with on the final offensive play for "M". The final play, both sides did have players on the field, a flag should have been thrown.

I don't think Carr is a bad coach. He can say he coached a 12-0 team (which should have been consensus #1 in 1997 and I think would have beaten NU if they had the chance to meet) and has done well in his career. His problem is that he hasn't had a decent QB since Brady. Navarre and Henne aren't top shelf QBs, and they are largely responsible for "M" losing key games in recent years. Carr needs to sharpen his QB recruitment skills.

Looks like Callahan is another Aunty Pete, in that he is better in the college ranks than the pros. Weird to see NU passing-oriented versus the old option offense.

That said, NU played better when it had to and deserved to win. That's hard for me to say since I hold a Masters Degree from "M".

Bob G

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference