PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT DAY DISCUSSION 2024 Draft Day LIVE Discussion Thread Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like Atlanta can cut Cousins after 2 seasons when he’s 38 as a post-June 1 designation, they’d only incur $12M in dead money and gain $45M in cap savings. Penix would then start in his third season at 25 years old, they’d have some time with him before needing to get him on an extension.

He won’t start til he’s about 27

Despite signing Kirk to a contract over $100M, they used an asset this high for Penix. They must see him as a can't miss prospect. He'll start when he shows any sign of competency.

How long will Penix be happy on the bench? Cousins with his huge contract has to start the next few years right ?
Penix knows how to hang loose...

Belichick seems to love JJ.

Looks like Atlanta can cut Cousins after 2 seasons when he’s 38 as a post-June 1 designation, they’d only incur $12M in dead money and gain $45M in cap savings. Penix would then start in his third season at 25 years old, they’d have some time with him before needing to get him on an extension.
Honestly I don't hate it. Get a guy who can be ready in 2 years with an aging vet. If it doesn't workout, you roll with Kirk another year and try again.

TBH, in the pre-draft process...I was wondering why Penix wasn't being regarded as a top 5 pick. The kid has all the measurables, on field production, and off field personality to be a top draft pick....other than the crazy fluky injury history.... look at his hand size, wing span, etc...makes all the throws...even ran a 40 for scouts....

Honestly I don't hate it. Get a guy who can be ready in 2 years with an aging vet. If it doesn't workout, you roll with Kirk another year and try again.
In 2 years Penix will be an aging vet himself.

Yeah I thought they were doing something really dumb until I examined Cousins’ contract, they can definitely get out of it pretty easily after 2 years. And like you said, if Penix doesn’t work out then you just keep Kirk.

TBH, in the pre-draft process...I was wondering why Penix wasn't being regarded as a top 5 pick. The kid has all the measurables, on field production, and off field personality to be a top draft pick....other than the crazy fluky injury history.... look at his hand size, wing span, etc...makes all the throws...even ran a 40 for scouts....
The age and injuries.

The head coach of the falcons specifically said he got the job because the previous regime didn't have a qb. He then signed Kirk and now Penix. He is making sure inadequate resources at qb will never be a problem during his tenure.

Did I just see the judge from Night Court? I thought he was dead

Welcome to the modern NFL. It’s all about the QB and the offense. Kids want Madden video game style scoring. Defense has been neutered. Bill will never get another job as a HC. Glad we’re getting with the program FINALLY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes