PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

* Ye 2011 Mock Draft Thread!! *

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picks

1 (5) from Dallas - DE/OLB- Da’Quan Bowers- Clemson Tigers- JR
Height- 6’4” Weight- 270lbs Projected 40 Time- 4.64

2010 Statistics
Games: 13 (38), Total Tackles: 66 (149), Sacks: 15.5 (19.5), TFL: 25 (43.5), QB Hurries: 11 (27), Forced Fumbles: 2 (2), Int: 1, Passes Broken Up: 1 (4), Blocked Kicks/Punts: 0 (1)

Awards
2010 Bronko Nagurski Award Winner, 2010 Ted Hendricks Award Winner, 2010 First Team All American, 2010 All ACC First Team

My Take
Da’Quan has been ‘my guy’ since the start the season and I have no reason to jump off the bandwagon now. I believe that Da’Quan Bowers is the perfect fit for the Pats in the Willie McGinest elephant role, where he can make use of his size, strength, athleticism, technique and immense talent to make a huge impact. I believe he has all the skill required to excel in this role and would offer an incredible amount of versatility and flexibility to the Pats defence. Bowers has put up some huge sack numbers this season for Clemson and he can obviously get to the passer, but the key to his game and his fit to the Pats system is his ability to set the edge and play with great two-gap technique against the run.

There are some question marks about his athleticism and ability to effectively drop into coverage, however, with his incredible versatility BB can use him in so many ways that he wouldn’t be required to drop into coverage very often. And like Willie, if he is asked to drop into coverage it will only be in shallow zones where he has the length and athleticism to succeed. Bowers also gives the extra benefit of being able to play as situational pass rusher at the 5-tech and 3-tech. I know a lot of people want an athletic DE that can get to the QB on passing downs, and with Bowers size and strength he can provide that. With his talent and versatility I don’t believe there is a single player in this draft that would have as big an impact on the Patriots as Da’Quan Bowers.

Bowers makes all of the other players on defence around him better. Obviously with his pass rush abilities he reduces the time that QB’s have to throw, as well as scares QB’s into bad decisions and poor throws. This will make the DB’s jobs much easier, and make them more effective playmakers. While Bowers is a playmaker himself, he is also a facilitator for his teammates. His ability to take on blocks make his ILB’s much more effective and free to make plays. And we all know that Cunningham leads the league in ‘near sacks’, but with Bowers on the other side he would be much more likely to make those plays. Finally, his ability to strongly set the edge would make our DL much more effective. Many people on this board believe that if BB could play 3 NT’s along the DL he would. Unfortunately with this kind of system, and the big guys we have along the DL, we are susceptible to runs to the outside because our OLB’s aren’t great at setting the edge. With Bowers ability to strongly set the edge he reduces the space our DL needs to play in and makes them much more effective. This reduces the need to have more athletic DE’s because they are responsible for much less space.

Back Up plan:
- DE/OLB – R. Quinn- UNC
- CB- P. Peterson- LSU
- Trade Down

Video
YouTube - Da'Quan Bowers vs. Florida State (2010)

Scouting Report
Sideline Scouting - Da'Quan Bowers Scouting Report

1 (13) from Det via Oak - WR- Julio Jones- Alabama Crimson Tide- JR
Height- 6’4” Weight- 211lbs Projected 40 Time- 4.48

2010 Stats (Career)
Games: 12 (39), TD’s: 7 (15), Receptions: 75 (176), Rec Yards: 1,084(2,604), Avg: 14.5 (14.79)

My Take
I know a lot people won’t like this pick because WR isn’t a huge need at the moment and they would rather go DE. However, Julio Jones is a player that I see as just too good to pass up. While it is true that the Pats currently don’t have a huge need at WR, in the near future they may. While Branch was great this season and added a spark to the offence, he is getting older and has an injury history so I don’t know how long we can continue to rely on him. Tate has been pretty disappointing to me this season as a WR and I don’t have a lot of confidence in him going forward as a reliable wideout. Although he is still young and has some talent so I hope he proves me wrong. Taylor Price was pretty impressive against the Phins but he has still only played 1 game and is a complete unknown. So I believe that in the near future the Pats could be in need of a WR and I think this is the perfect time to grab one and ease them into the system without the pressure of needing to perform from day 1.

I believe if the Pats are on the clock with Julio Jones available they have to take him. It is not very often that they are in a position to take an elite WR prospect in the draft that wouldn’t compromise the system. There are very few if any big time wideouts that would fit with the current offensive scheme and perform. I believe Julio is the perfect complement to this system and would make this offence almost unstoppable. The only thing I believe this offence is lacking is a big target at WR that can go over the middle. Welker and Edelman are great underneath, Branch likes to work to the sidelines and Tate has deep speed but we don’t have any big targets that go over the middle. Currently we only have Gronk and Hernandez that go over the middle and they are very good at it, but a big target like Jones that can go over the middle could give this offence a dimension it’s lacking.

I think if you were to create a perfect WR for the Patriots you would come up with something very similar to Julio Jones. He is a hugely athletic and talented WR that can make all the plays. I think he is the type of player that makes the entire offence better. He is so big and athletic that DB’s can’t cover him one on one, and this extra attention could free up space for guys like Welker. I think the addition of Jones could make both Hernandez and Gronk unstoppable with the match-up problems the Pats could create. Jones is also as good a blocker as you will see at WR. He is a perfect compliment for Welker and Woodhead and would be amazing in both the screen game and the general running game. I don’t think there is a single offensive player in this draft that would have a bigger impact than Julio Jones. Perhaps the thing I like most about Jones is he is just a good kid. He is one of the very rare big time WR that is not a Diva, and is a great team player. Coming from Alabama he is use to sharing the ball with his teammates so I don’t think he would have a problem fitting on an offence with so many weapons. He is just a good football player, a good kid, and too good an opportunity to pass up.
Finally, looking at the WR’s on the roster we just don’t have a guy that Brady can just throw it up to and trust to come down with the ball in a contest. At 6-4, 211lbs, Jones offers that ability.

Pats WR’s 2010
- Branch 5-9, 195
- Edelman 5-10, 198
- Price 6-0, 205
- Tate 6-1, 195
- Welker 5-9, 185

Back Up Plan:
- RB- M. Ingram- Alabama
- Trade Down

Scouting Report
Sideline Scouting - Julio Jones Scouting Report

Video
YouTube - Julio Jones Highlights 2009

2 (5) - CB- Aaron Williams- Texas Longhorns- JR
Height- 6’1” Weight- 195lbs Projected 40 Time-4.48

2010 Stats (Career)
Games: 11 (37), Total Tackles: 45 (105), Sacks: 1 (3), TFL: 5 (12.5) Int: 0 (4), Passes Broken Up: 8 (19), Forced Fumbles: 2 (5), Blocked Kicks/Punts: 1 (5)

My Take
Aaron Williams is a guy I really like coming out of Texas and I think he would be a great fit for the Pats. He is a very talented corner that has the size, athleticism and skills to potentially develop into a no.1 CB in the future. However, what I like about Williams is his versatility. He has great size and athleticism that would make him a great fit for a hybrid CB/FS role on the Pats. He is a very confident player with great anticipation and recognition skills. He has the speed and athleticism to run with receivers, and maintains a strong position. He is above average in man coverage and has the speed to recover if caught out of position. He possesses good ball skills and is aggressive attacking the ball in the air. He is also very willing and active in run support and does a good job of wrapping up in the tackle. He needs to improve his consistency in his angles but it’s nothing that good coaching can’t fix.

Coming from a very talented Texas secondary he has a lot of experience in the nickel, covering the slot receiver, which I think would be huge for the Pats, allowing them a great amount of flexibility. And like McCourty last year Williams offers a huge amount of special team’s value, having blocked 5 kicks in his career at Texas. Williams is also a very high character kid who comes from a good pedigree, is very active in community service and even coaches a little league team, so character won’t be a concern.

Back Up Plan:
- CB- R. Dowling- Virginia
- CB- J. Smith- Colorado
- DT/DE- M. Wilkerson- Temple

Scouting Report- Sideline Scouting
Sideline Scouting - Aaron Williams Scouting Report

Video
YouTube - Aaron Williams vs. Nebraska ('09)

2 (28) - OG/C- Rodney Hudson- Florida State Seminoles- SR

Height- 6’2”, Weight- 285lbs, Projected 40 Time- 5.25

Awards
2010 First Team All American 2010 All ACC First Team

My Take
I believe that Rodney Hudson is the most talented Interior Offensive Lineman in the draft and the only thing stopping him from being a 1st round pick is his size. Hudson plays much bigger than his 6’2” 285lbs frame suggests and he uses great technique and athleticism to lead the Florida State OL. Although he still needs to bulk up another 15-20lbs, I think he is the perfect fit for a zone blocking scheme. While his size is a little concerning, especially against the number of 3-4 NT’s the Pats will be playing, I think he has the athleticism, technique and intelligence to handle it.

Hudson currently plays Guard at Florida State but I believe his best position for the Pats would be at Centre, being groomed to take over from Dan Koppen. Ideally he would sit for a year behind Koppen and give Dante a year to bulk him up and get him ready to take over the starting centre job in 2012. He is currently projected to be a late second or third round pick, so if he is available here I would jump all over him.

Back Up Plan:
- C- K. O’Dowd- USC
- OG/T- B. Ijalana- Villanova
- Trade Down

Sideline Scouting - Rodney Hudson Scouting Report

Video
YouTube - Rodney Hudson vs. North Carolina ('09)

3-(10) from Min - FS- Deunta Williams- North Carolina Tar Heels- SR

Height: 6’1”, Weight: 215lbs, Projected 40 Time: 4.53

2010 Stats (Career)
Games: 9 (47), Tackles: 49 (218), TFL: 2 (6.5), Forced Fumbles: 1 (3), Int: 0 (12), Passes Broken Up: 3 (16)

Awards
2009 All ACC First Team

My take
I originally had this pick traded for a 2012 2nd, but after Deunta Williams broke his fibula in the Music City Bowl there is a very real chance that he could slip into the third round. Williams is one of the top Safety prospects in this draft and has a high second round grade. However, if this injury drops his stock into the middle of the third round I think he would be too good to pass up. He is a ballhawking safety that put up huge numbers in his first 3 seasons (12 int), but had a down year in 2010 on a decimated UNC team. The ideal situation would be to sit behind James Sanders for a year and gradually earn playing time before taking over as the starting FS next to Chung in 2012. A secondary consisting of McCourty, Bodden, A. Williams, Butler, Arrington, D. Williams and Chung could be elite for the next decade. If he is not available at this point I would trade this pick for a 2012 2nd.

Sideline Scouting - Deunta Williams Scouting Report

Video
YouTube - Deunta Williams

3(b) - NT- Phil Taylor- Baylor Bears- SR

Height- 6’4”, Weight- 340lbs, Projected 40 Time- 5.35

2010 Stats (Career)
Games: 12 (36), Tackles: 52 (97), Sacks: 2 (5.5), TFL: 7 (17.5), QB Hurries: 3 (8), Forced Fumbles: 1 (1), Int: 0 (1), Passes Broken Up: 0 (2), Blocked Kicks/Punts: 0 (2)

Awards
2010 All Big 12 Second Team

My Take
Backup NT is one position along the DL that I would like to upgrade in the 2011 draft. I think Ron Brace is better suited as a base DE and Kyle Love could be upgraded. Phil Taylor is a guy I really like on the field but has some character concerns which make his stock difficult to judge. Based on talent I am comfortable spending an early 3rd on him because he is a very talented guy that could add a lot to the Pats DL. I think another legit 340lbs NT to back up Wilfork could be huge in adding depth, flexibility and versatility to the defence, as well as giving Wilfork rest to help conserve his body and prolong his career. I believe Taylor is the most talented NT in this draft and would be the type of guy that I’m willing to take a chance on, especially with the large number of picks we have in this draft.

Back Up Plan:
- NT- K. Ellis- Hampton
- NT- Jerrell Powe- Mississippi
- DT/DE- J. Jenkins- Clemson
- OG- C. Boiling- Georgia

Scouting Report- Draft Countdown
Sideline Scouting - Phil Taylor Scouting Report

Video
YouTube - FOOTBALL: Phil Taylor Feature

4 (5) from Cle - OG- Clint Boiling- Georgia Bulldogs- SR

Height- 6’5”, Weight- 305lbs, Projected 40 Time-5.12

Awards
2010 All SEC Second Team

My Take
I believe that the middle rounds of this draft are the value area for OGs. I’m not a huge fan of the top tier OL talent in this draft so I’d prefer to wait until the 4th or 5th round to load up on good solid football players. The guy I like best for OG at this spot is Clint Boiling who has experience in a similar zone blocking scheme and has the skills to fit well with the Pats OL. I believe that the trenches are about working together as a unit and not about having superstars and big names. That’s why I have no problem with shipping out Mankins and grabbing guys like Boiling. He’s a talented guy and a great fit that could compete for a starting spot at Guard from day 1. The ideal scenario is that Neal returns for his final season and allows Boiling to sit for a year before taking over in 2012 at RG.

It’s difficult to judge Boiling’s draft stock at the moment because there seems to be such a wide range of opinion on him. I’ve seen him mocked anywhere from a late 2nd round pick to a 5th round pick. The most consistent range I’ve seen of him is the 4th round where I believe he would be a good pick.

Sideline Scouting - Clint Boling Scouting Report

Back up Plan:
- OT/OG- L. Ziemba- Auburn
- OT- M. Gilbert-Fla

4(9) from Dal - OG- James Carpenter- Alabama Crimson Tide- SR

Height- 6’5”, Weight- 300lbs, Projected 40 Time- 5.36

Awards
2010 All SEC Second Team

My Take
James Carpenter is another guy I like at Guard for the Pats in this area. He currently plays LT in the SEC so you know he has been tested. He doesn’t have the skills to be a LT in the NFL but I think he would make a very good OG. He uses good technique and makes great use of angles to seal off running lanes and provides big holes for running backs. His not a mauler but he is a very technical and intelligent blocker that has the agility to block down the field. Coming from Alabama you know he is well coached and would be an excellent addition to the Pats OL. He would provide good depth at OG and RT, and given some time with Dante he could push Dan Connolly for playing time at LG.

Scouting report
James Carpenter, Alabama, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

4 (17) from Jax – DE/OLB- Greg Romeus- Pitt Panthers- SR

Height- 6’5”, Weight: 270lbs, Projected 40 Time- 4.72

2009 Stats (Career)
Games: 13 (40), Tackles: 43 (132), TFL: 11.5 (38.5), Sacks: 8 (19.5), Int: 1 (1), Passes Broken Up: 5 (12), QB Hurries: 11 (17), Forced Fumbles: 3 (4),
Blocked Kicks/Punts: 1 (4)

My Take
I think this is a good spot to take a chance on Romeus. He is a talented pass rusher and has the ability to set the edge against the run, which would offer some value to the Pats. He is a big ? in terms of dropping into coverage and at least initially would be best suited to a situational pass rusher role. The big concern for Romeus is his health, having missed most of his senior season with Back and Knee injuries. He will likely be an IR candidate and would probably benefit from a redshirt year to ease into the system. There is a lot of upside with this pick and with the number of picks the Pats have I believe it is well worth the risk.

If Romeus isn’t available at this point another interesting option could be Marvin Austin if he falls this far. Austin wouldn’t fit as a base DE in the Pats system but would be good value as a situational pass rusher in the 4th round.

Scouting Report
James Carpenter, Alabama, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

4(28) - RB- Jamie Harper- Clemson Tigers- JR

Height- 5’11”, Weight- 235lbs, Projected 40 Time- 4.51

2010 Stats (Career)
Games: 12 (36), Rush Att: 177 (291), Yards: 727 (1,278), Avg: 4.11 (4.39), TD: 6 (11), Rec: 31 (46), Yards: 308 (428), Avg: 9.94 (9.3), TD: 3 (3)

My Take
Harper is a very talented RB that I believe has all the skills to excel in the NFL, but he just hasn’t put it all together yet. He has struggled to find consistent playing time after sitting behind CJ Spiller and being overtaken by Andre Ellington on the depth chart this past season. However, when give the chance he has done quite a good job. He has the size, athleticism, speed and burst to be a very good back in the NFL. I think he would be a great fit in the RB rotation with BJGE and Woodhead as he has good size to run between the tackles, but is also a very good receiving RB. There are still some question marks with Harper but in the late 4th round I think he is a good pick. He has a lot of upside and could be a steal in the 4th.

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBwNDudVWx0

5 (13) from Min - DE- Cedric Thornton- Southern Arkansas Muleriders- SR

Height- 6’4” Weight- 295lbs Projected 40 Time- 5.18

2010 Stats (Career)
Games: 8 (38), Tackles: 52 (188), TFL: 13 (50), Sacks: 1.5 (12), Passes Broken Up: 1 (6), QB Hurries: 5 (13), Forced Fumbles: 1 (4),
Blocked Kicks: 0 (2)

My Take
Cedric Thornton is a guy that I’m surprised we haven’t heard a lot more about. He put up monster numbers against inferior competition in 2009 but struggled with injury in 2010. He has good size for a DE at 6’4” 295lbs with plenty of room left on his frame to add weight. He is a very talented interior pass rusher that would be an ideal candidate to take a flyer on in the later rounds and try to coach up to be a situational pass rusher. My ideal situation would be to put him on the practice squad for a year to coach up and groom to take over as a sub rusher from Mike Wright in 2012. However, with Wrights current injury issue he may even have a chance to compete for a roster spot in 2011. He won’t be an every down base DE, but as a high potential, situational pass rush project, I think he would be a great pick.

5 (19) from Min- OLB- Steven Friday- Virginia Tech Hokies- SR

Height- 6’5”, Weight- 250lbs, Projected 40 Time: 4.66

2010 Stats (career)
Games: 14 (35), Tackles: 66 (85), TFL: 14 (17.5), Sacks: 8.5 (12),
Passes Broken Up: 1 (3), QB Hurries: 7 (10), Forced Fumbles: 2 (2)

Friday is another guy whose draft stock is difficult to judge. I’ve seen him projected anywhere from the late 3rd to 7th/UDFA. He has had little production before this season and could definitely be seen as a one year wonder. However, he has the size and athletic ability to be a very good OLB for the Pats. If Friday isn’t available another good option for this pick at OLB would be Ugo Chinasa form Oklahoma State.

Scouting Report
Sideline Scouting - Steven Friday Scouting Report

5 (28) - OT- Derek Newton- Arkansas State Red Wolves

Height- 6’6”, Weight- 305lbs, Projected 40 Time- 5.08

My Take
Another small school guy that I think would be a good option as a developmental prospect. He has a good blend of size and athleticism, which could really make him an interesting prospect. He has very good feet and can keep up with speed rushers off the edge. The biggest concern is his strength and this is one area in which he will need to improve, however, he has the frame to add more strength and bulk in the future. The other concern is the lack of competition coming from such a small school, but with his blend of size and athleticism I believe he would be a great project to give to Dante for the 2011 season. My Ideal situation would be to sit and learn behind Light and Vollmer, and ideally compete with Maneri for a starting OT spot in 2013. Very raw but good potential. Another potential OT in this spot is Kyle Hix from Texas.

6 - FB/ILB/ST/God- Owen Marecic- Stanford Cardinals- SR

Height- 6’1”, Weight- 245lbs, Projected 40 Time- 4.76

2010 Stats (Career)
Games: 12 (48), Rush Att: 20 (33), Yards: 42 (63), TD: 4 (8), Rec: 9 (25), Yards: 75 (258), TD: 0 (1), Avg: 8.33 (10.32), Tackles: 45 (49), TFL: 4.5 (4.5), Sacks: 1 (1), Int: 1 (1)

My Take
This one is for the * Owen Marecic Fan Club * A genuine FB is a position that the Pats have neglected for a while, and now they are going back to a ball control offence I think it’s a position that should be addressed. Marecic is a guy that just plays the game hard and makes the most of what he’s got. He offers unbelievable versatility with the ability to play FB, ILB and ST’s. A good player and a good fit, this pick just makes sense.

UDFA- QB- Greg McElroy- Alabama Crimson Tide- SR

Height- 6’2”, Weight- 225lbs, Projected 40 Time- 4.94

My Take
McElroy is a good, tough leader and is exactly the kind of player that I’m looking for to push Hoyer. Obviously the Pats aren’t looking for a starting QB but someone who can manage a game if required. I really like Hoyer but we can’t let him get too comfortable. McElroy would be a great guy to bring in for some competition and as a practise squad player. He has a solid arm and solid accuracy, but where he excels is leading a team and managing game, and he is a flat out winner. I think he is a great fit for the offence and would be well suited to the number of weapons the Pats have at their disposal. I think there is a chance he goes undrafted because he doesn’t have a great arm or the prototypical skills of a starting NFL QB, but with the Pats I think he’s a great fit.

UDFA- RB/WR- Brandon Saine- THE Ohio State University- SR

Height- 6’0”, Weight- 218lbs, Projected 40 Time- 4.46

My Take
Saine is a really interesting guy for the Pats, especially if he goes undrafted. He doesn’t have a clearly defined position in the NFL but would be a good fit for a hybrid RB/WR role in the Dexter McCluster mold. Saine was a track star so he has very good speed and athleticism which could make him a home run threat in the NFL. He has good hands and offers good versatility as a RB, WR and kick returner. Ideally he would go to the practise squad for a season or two and eventually replace Deion Branch as the 6th WR and 4th RB.

UDFA- DT/DE- Adrian Taylor- Oklahoma Sooners - SR

Height- 6’4”, Weight- 304lbs, Projected 40 Time- 4.96

2009 Stats (Career)
Games: 13 (50), Tackles: 36 (84), TFL: 7 (15), Sacks: 3.5 (9.5), Passes Broken Up: 1 (4), QB Hurries: 7 (9), Forced Fumbles: 0 (1), Int: 0 (1), Blocked Kicks/Punts: 1 (1),

Taylor is a guy with a lot of talent that has just suffered through injuries. If he had of stayed healthy the past 2 seasons he could very well have been a first round pick. Unfortunately for him he has had 2 very serious injuries in the past 2 seasons killing his stock. He would likely be an IR candidate for 2011, but if he can stay healthy he could surprise a few people in 2012. He’s a prototype 3-4 DE and could be the 2011 version of Deaderick.

UDFA- DT/DE- David Carter- UCLA Bruins- SR

Height: 6’4”, Weight: 301 lbs, Projected 40 Time: 4.96

Another prototype DE for the Pats 3-4. He has good size and tools but has never lived up to his potential. A good practice squad candidate, who may have something to offer with the right coaching.

UDFA- OT/OG- Jarriel King- South Carolina Game****s- SR

Height: 6’5”, Weight: 325 lbs, Projected 40 Time: 5.23

A big, physical SEC lineman that would be best suited to Guard in the NFL. He plays LT in the SEC so he has faced some good competition and has some talent. He would likely be a practise squad candidate, but if he impresses in the offseason he could push for a roster spot. I believe he would be a good candidate to be coached up by Dante as an OG.

Roster
QB- T. Brady, B. Hoyer
RB- BJGE, D. Woodhead, J. Harper, S. Morris
FB- O. Marecic
WR- W. Welker, J. Jones, D. Branch, B. Tate, J. Edelman, T. Price
TE- A. Crumpler, R. Gronkowski, A. Hernandez
OT- M. Light, S. Vollmer, N. Kazcur, D. Newton/ S. Maneri
OG- D. Connolly, C. Boiling, J. Carpenter, S. Neal/R. Wendell
C- D. Koppen, R. Hudson
Offense- 26

Base DE- T. Warren, G. Warren, B. Deaderick, R. Brace, K. Weston
Sub DL- M. Pryor, M. Wright/C. Thornton (D. Bowers)
NT- V. Wilfork, P. Taylor, K. Love
ILB- J. Mayo, B. Spikes, G. Guyton, D. Fletcher, T. White (Marecic)
OLB- D. Bowers, J. Cunningham, R. Ninkovich, E. Moore, S. Friday
CB- D. McCourty, L. Bodden, A. Williams, D. Butler, K. Arrington
FS- J. Sanders, J. Page, D. Williams
SS- P. Chung, J. Barrett, S. Brown
Defence- 31

K- S. Gostkowski
P- Z. Mesko
LS- M. Katula
Specialists- 3

= Projected 60 Man Roster

Practice Squad

OL- S. Maneri/ D. Newton
DL- C. Thornton
QB- G. McElroy
RB- B. Saine
ILB- Micah Johnson (2010 binkie)
DL- D. Carter
OL- J. King

IR- G. Romeus
IR- A. Taylor

Final Thoughts

One thing I really like about this draft is it reduces the need to have ‘specialist’ special teamers because so many players offer special teams value. For example, this draft class has blocked a combined 15 kicks or punts in their college careers. By having so many offensive and defensive players that also contribute on special teams, it greatly increases competition for roster spots. If a player isn’t performing in any specific area of their game they will be replaced.

I also like the way in which this draft sets the Pats up for the future as well as the present. It has a solid combination of immediate contributors as well as guys that need time to develop, but could turn into very good players. I have also traded a pick forward for a future 1st which balances out trading a future 2nd and 3rd.

Also, out of the 14 draft picks and 4 UDFA, I have drafted/signed 14 Seniors and 4 Juniors, 5 players from the SEC, 5 ACC, 2 Big 12, 1 Big 10 and 2 Pac 10. So they seem to fit the BB philosophy of experienced players, playing a high level of competition.

Absolutely amazing Presentation, Brother Wilfork!! :rocker:

Wow Wilfork#75. That is an awesome job. Well thought out and that scenario would certainly excite me with a couple of exceptions which, is usually a LOT fewer than the questions that I usually need answered for days after a common BB draft. Thanks for the effort!

5 (13) from Min - DE- Cedric Thornton- Southern Arkansas Muleriders- SR

Height- 6’4” Weight- 295lbs Projected 40 Time- 5.18

2010 Stats (Career)
Games: 8 (38), Tackles: 52 (188), TFL: 13 (50), Sacks: 1.5 (12), Passes Broken Up: 1 (6), QB Hurries: 5 (13), Forced Fumbles: 1 (4),
Blocked Kicks: 0 (2)

My Take
Cedric Thornton is a guy that I’m surprised we haven’t heard a lot more about. He put up monster numbers against inferior competition in 2009 but struggled with injury in 2010. He has good size for a DE at 6’4” 295lbs with plenty of room left on his frame to add weight. He is a very talented interior pass rusher that would be an ideal candidate to take a flyer on in the later rounds and try to coach up to be a situational pass rusher. My ideal situation would be to put him on the practice squad for a year to coach up and groom to take over as a sub rusher from Mike Wright in 2012. However, with Wrights current injury issue he may even have a chance to compete for a roster spot in 2011. He won’t be an every down base DE, but as a high potential, situational pass rush project, I think he would be a great pick.

5 (19) from Min- OLB- Steven Friday- Virginia Tech Hokies- SR

Height- 6’5”, Weight- 250lbs, Projected 40 Time: 4.66

2010 Stats (career)
Games: 14 (35), Tackles: 66 (85), TFL: 14 (17.5), Sacks: 8.5 (12),
Passes Broken Up: 1 (3), QB Hurries: 7 (10), Forced Fumbles: 2 (2)

Friday is another guy whose draft stock is difficult to judge. I’ve seen him projected anywhere from the late 3rd to 7th/UDFA. He has had little production before this season and could definitely be seen as a one year wonder. However, he has the size and athletic ability to be a very good OLB for the Pats. If Friday isn’t available another good option for this pick at OLB would be Ugo Chinasa form Oklahoma State.

Scouting Report
Sideline Scouting - Steven Friday Scouting Report

5 (28) - OT- Derek Newton- Arkansas State Red Wolves

Height- 6’6”, Weight- 305lbs, Projected 40 Time- 5.08

My Take
Another small school guy that I think would be a good option as a developmental prospect. He has a good blend of size and athleticism, which could really make him an interesting prospect. He has very good feet and can keep up with speed rushers off the edge. The biggest concern is his strength and this is one area in which he will need to improve, however, he has the frame to add more strength and bulk in the future. The other concern is the lack of competition coming from such a small school, but with his blend of size and athleticism I believe he would be a great project to give to Dante for the 2011 season. My Ideal situation would be to sit and learn behind Light and Vollmer, and ideally compete with Maneri for a starting OT spot in 2013. Very raw but good potential. Another potential OT in this spot is Kyle Hix from Texas.

6 - FB/ILB/ST/God- Owen Marecic- Stanford Cardinals- SR

Height- 6’1”, Weight- 245lbs, Projected 40 Time- 4.76

2010 Stats (Career)
Games: 12 (48), Rush Att: 20 (33), Yards: 42 (63), TD: 4 (8), Rec: 9 (25), Yards: 75 (258), TD: 0 (1), Avg: 8.33 (10.32), Tackles: 45 (49), TFL: 4.5 (4.5), Sacks: 1 (1), Int: 1 (1)

My Take
This one is for the * Owen Marecic Fan Club * A genuine FB is a position that the Pats have neglected for a while, and now they are going back to a ball control offence I think it’s a position that should be addressed. Marecic is a guy that just plays the game hard and makes the most of what he’s got. He offers unbelievable versatility with the ability to play FB, ILB and ST’s. A good player and a good fit, this pick just makes sense.

UDFA- QB- Greg McElroy- Alabama Crimson Tide- SR

Height- 6’2”, Weight- 225lbs, Projected 40 Time- 4.94

My Take
McElroy is a good, tough leader and is exactly the kind of player that I’m looking for to push Hoyer. Obviously the Pats aren’t looking for a starting QB but someone who can manage a game if required. I really like Hoyer but we can’t let him get too comfortable. McElroy would be a great guy to bring in for some competition and as a practise squad player. He has a solid arm and solid accuracy, but where he excels is leading a team and managing game, and he is a flat out winner. I think he is a great fit for the offence and would be well suited to the number of weapons the Pats have at their disposal. I think there is a chance he goes undrafted because he doesn’t have a great arm or the prototypical skills of a starting NFL QB, but with the Pats I think he’s a great fit.

UDFA- RB/WR- Brandon Saine- THE Ohio State University- SR

Height- 6’0”, Weight- 218lbs, Projected 40 Time- 4.46

My Take
Saine is a really interesting guy for the Pats, especially if he goes undrafted. He doesn’t have a clearly defined position in the NFL but would be a good fit for a hybrid RB/WR role in the Dexter McCluster mold. Saine was a track star so he has very good speed and athleticism which could make him a home run threat in the NFL. He has good hands and offers good versatility as a RB, WR and kick returner. Ideally he would go to the practise squad for a season or two and eventually replace Deion Branch as the 6th WR and 4th RB.

UDFA- DT/DE- Adrian Taylor- Oklahoma Sooners - SR

Height- 6’4”, Weight- 304lbs, Projected 40 Time- 4.96

2009 Stats (Career)
Games: 13 (50), Tackles: 36 (84), TFL: 7 (15), Sacks: 3.5 (9.5), Passes Broken Up: 1 (4), QB Hurries: 7 (9), Forced Fumbles: 0 (1), Int: 0 (1), Blocked Kicks/Punts: 1 (1),

Taylor is a guy with a lot of talent that has just suffered through injuries. If he had of stayed healthy the past 2 seasons he could very well have been a first round pick. Unfortunately for him he has had 2 very serious injuries in the past 2 seasons killing his stock. He would likely be an IR candidate for 2011, but if he can stay healthy he could surprise a few people in 2012. He’s a prototype 3-4 DE and could be the 2011 version of Deaderick.

UDFA- DT/DE- David Carter- UCLA Bruins- SR

Height: 6’4”, Weight: 301 lbs, Projected 40 Time: 4.96

Another prototype DE for the Pats 3-4. He has good size and tools but has never lived up to his potential. A good practice squad candidate, who may have something to offer with the right coaching.

UDFA- OT/OG- Jarriel King- South Carolina Game****s- SR

Height: 6’5”, Weight: 325 lbs, Projected 40 Time: 5.23

A big, physical SEC lineman that would be best suited to Guard in the NFL. He plays LT in the SEC so he has faced some good competition and has some talent. He would likely be a practise squad candidate, but if he impresses in the offseason he could push for a roster spot. I believe he would be a good candidate to be coached up by Dante as an OG.

Roster
QB- T. Brady, B. Hoyer
RB- BJGE, D. Woodhead, J. Harper, S. Morris
FB- O. Marecic
WR- W. Welker, J. Jones, D. Branch, B. Tate, J. Edelman, T. Price
TE- A. Crumpler, R. Gronkowski, A. Hernandez
OT- M. Light, S. Vollmer, N. Kazcur, D. Newton/ S. Maneri
OG- D. Connolly, C. Boiling, J. Carpenter, S. Neal/R. Wendell
C- D. Koppen, R. Hudson
Offense- 26

Base DE- T. Warren, G. Warren, B. Deaderick, R. Brace, K. Weston
Sub DL- M. Pryor, M. Wright/C. Thornton (D. Bowers)
NT- V. Wilfork, P. Taylor, K. Love
ILB- J. Mayo, B. Spikes, G. Guyton, D. Fletcher, T. White (Marecic)
OLB- D. Bowers, J. Cunningham, R. Ninkovich, E. Moore, S. Friday
CB- D. McCourty, L. Bodden, A. Williams, D. Butler, K. Arrington
FS- J. Sanders, J. Page, D. Williams
SS- P. Chung, J. Barrett, S. Brown
Defence- 31

K- S. Gostkowski
P- Z. Mesko
LS- M. Katula
Specialists- 3

= Projected 60 Man Roster

Practice Squad

OL- S. Maneri/ D. Newton
DL- C. Thornton
QB- G. McElroy
RB- B. Saine
ILB- Micah Johnson (2010 binkie)
DL- D. Carter
OL- J. King

IR- G. Romeus
IR- A. Taylor

Final Thoughts

One thing I really like about this draft is it reduces the need to have ‘specialist’ special teamers because so many players offer special teams value. For example, this draft class has blocked a combined 15 kicks or punts in their college careers. By having so many offensive and defensive players that also contribute on special teams, it greatly increases competition for roster spots. If a player isn’t performing in any specific area of their game they will be replaced.

I also like the way in which this draft sets the Pats up for the future as well as the present. It has a solid combination of immediate contributors as well as guys that need time to develop, but could turn into very good players. I have also traded a pick forward for a future 1st which balances out trading a future 2nd and 3rd.

Also, out of the 14 draft picks and 4 UDFA, I have drafted/signed 14 Seniors and 4 Juniors, 5 players from the SEC, 5 ACC, 2 Big 12, 1 Big 10 and 2 Pac 10. So they seem to fit the BB philosophy of experienced players, playing a high level of competition.

The big thing I'm wondering is how we manage to get all those picks, the #5 pick would be VERY expensive in terms of picks needed for a trade, what would we need to give up to make all that happen?

The big thing I'm wondering is how we manage to get all those picks, the #5 pick would be VERY expensive in terms of picks needed for a trade, what would we need to give up to make all that happen?

If you go to the last post of the previous page it has all my trades and justifications. Trading up to 5 would take a huge amount picks wise for a straight trade up, so I tried to get a bit more creative by trading Mankins and Meriweather to Dallas for their 1st and 4th, then move up to 5. I chose 5 because I believe it's a realistic spot that Bowers could fall to, and I think Arizona is a team that would like to move down and wouldn't require too much compensation. My mock has changed a little since I first posted this and my main change is swapping Phil Taylor for NT Kenrick Ellis.

get ingram, julio jones and mcelroy.....alabama players in the pats system. great fits!

I think bowers will be the bust of all busts.

I predict

1a. Carimi
1b. Cam Heyward

2a. aaron williams
2b. moffett or pouncey

3a. jamie harper rb

5. allen bradford rb

they'll probably draft an de conversion later like they always do...friday and markus white are two possible guys.

Aldon Smith

If it's up to me, we draft THREE guys ~ in addition to the one we already have ~ of the 6.4/250-275 Pound And Athletic As Hell caliber, to rotate at both Flanker positions, bringing in all FOUR on Passing Downs, if we see fit...

But having put all possible candidates through the ringer a few times, I gotta say that, at this point, Aldon Smith is the ONLY guy who projects in the first 5 Rounds that I would like to see us actually pull the trigger on, with the possible but unlikely exception of Robert Quinn, he of the many asterisks and conditionals.

For my money, the Impact ~ the Return on Investment ~ of Grizzlies DECISIVELY outweighs that of Flankers...But with Aldon Smith being the one and only Top Shelf Flanker who is likely to justify his cost, in my view, and with Cameron Heyward, JJ Watt, Phil Taylor, and Kenrick Ellis all strong candidates to drop far later than Smith and still EXCEED their cost...my thinking is that it behooves us to jump all over Smithy at 17, or thereabouts...and then scoop up those other guys, later on: That's the Law of Supply + Demand.

One possible wrinkle on this ~ as first proposed by Nolan Nawrocki at PFW, and since championed by The Immortal Brother Mayo ~ is the possible conversion of none other than Cameron Jordan to HeffaLump: Jordan is currently listed at 6.4/285, so a reduction to 275 Pounds ~ the playing weight of none other than Willie Mac, if my information is correct ~ would seem to be a viable consideration. Whether or not he's athletic enough to take on the myriad responsibilities of the famous HeffaLump position of Belichickian Lore is a matter for FootBall minds far more astute than my own to decide.

And this actually pigpiles on the earlier proposal by the visionary and rather insane Drew BoilHeart of The Huddle, who earlier proposed a similar conversion for Adrian Clayborn.

Wow has the mighty Ryan Kerrigan fallen.

Last edited:
Willie "Fresh Prince" Smith

Walter JONES, baby.

Currently projected for the 6th Round, this Dark Horse out of East Carolina may very well SOAR.

But at the end of the day, he's raw enough that we'll STILL probably be able to snag him in the 3rd, 4th, or 5th.

* ALL PRO POTENTIAL *

Willie Smith + Dante Scarnecchia = Walter Jones. :rocker:

Wow has the mighty Kerrigan fallen.

Indeed, he has.

I've always liked him, but only in the event that he tumbled to the bottom of the 2nd Round, for which I still hold out hope.

David Mims of Virginia Union ~ 6.8/350!!

I don't know if I've ever brought him up, before ~ Wes Bunting awoke me to'is presence on CowBoysNation, back in early Autumn: Dallas Cowboys News & Analysis | Cowboys Nation: Wes Bunting's Weekly Draft Tips: Look to the Juniors ~ but this's a guy I've had a serious Man Crush on for MONTHS ~ and who Brother Mohammed Ali mentioned on PatriotsPlanet, today.

Needless to say: His listed weight makes him ideal for Smash Mouth, obviously, but not our own Zone approach. Even so, David Mims commands a MOUNTAIN of Talent. He could, properly guided and honed down, become a Defensive LineMan's NIGHTMARE.

~ CRUSHING Power
~ BRUTAL Strength
~ SHOCKING Athleticism

My take: If Steve Maneri can GAIN 30 or 40 pounds of beef to become an O Tackle, then David Mims, finally exposed to the benefits of a professional S+C Coach ~ and an amazing O Line Coach!! ~ as well as to the rigors and guidance of Belichick's Machine...can burn OFF 30 or 40 Pounds...and become a 315-320 Pound Zone Blocking GOD.

...Or, better yet: GODZILLA.
pure%20evil.gif

As far as Right Guard is concerned, I have the same answer as I have at Center:

Pass on the LOT of'm.

I see no players at EITHER position who I consider worthy of their projected slots.

~ Benjamin Ijalana's not tough enough for my taste.
~ Danny Watkins isn't long enough, in my view.
~ Ditto, Jason Pinkston.

And those're my three favorites.

The others don't bear consideration: There're some nice values out there, but no likely All Pro's that I can discern.

And I have ZERO interest in drafting a Right Guard who's good enough to make the PlayOffs...but not good enough to help us WIN the PlayOffs.

I don't know about YOU...but I'VE had my FILL...of THAT.

I've actually toyed with the idea of drafting Willie Smith and moving him to Guard...

The idea would be to improve that position, right now ~ by about Halloween, I figure ~ and then go after Riley Reiff or one the other guys in the exceptional 2012 O Tackle Class.

But what I think I'd REALLY like to do...is roll with what we've got for this year. I'd rather focus on the Defense, because that's where the Value is in the early rounds of this Draft, as I see it. I'd rather bet on huge improvement in the Defense, based on the massive amounts of experience our young crew got this year, and on the enormous influx of Impact Talent we should expect.

A good O Line has always been good enough for us to win the Super Bowl, if the Defense is up to snuff.

And, next year?

I say we draft Mike Brewster AND Peter Konz, and let one play Right Guard!! :eek:

We would then have, once Dante gets them rocking and rolling, arguably The Best O Line in HISTORY...and the DEEPEST.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back