PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

* Ye 2011 Mock Draft Thread!! *

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't say that it's necessary. Perhaps desirable if someone slips, but given that the offense is clicking right now, I see no reason go back to the toss-it-up, feast-or-famine style offense the Pats had with Moss.

Agreed we still don't know what we have with all the WR currently on the Roster. It usually takes until their 3rd year for WR to learn the speed of the game and get aclimated to it. This is Edleman's 2nd year, Tate's first year playing, and Price is taking a red shirt year to learn the offense since he got a late start this summer. If they expand the roster a bit I could see bringing in an UDFA but not drafting a WR this year.

Yes!! It is TIME!! :D

With the College Season winding down, lady and gentlemen, the time seems ripe, indeed, to fire this up, for the use of any of us who’d like to share ideas, speculation, information, and philosophies.

I have only the one vote on how this Thread goes, of course, but I certainly hope anyone and everyone will feel free to submit absolutely whatever they feel like:

~ 1 Round Mocks
~ 7 Round Mocks
~ Mock Drafts from other Sites
~ OffSeason Needs
~ Drafting Philosophy
~ Random Comments
~ Whatever!! :cool:

This will be my last Major Thread for now, I think, besides the 3 Positional ones and the Sleepers.

Oh, YES: I feel I should probably explain something, in view of the next several posts: They actually are NOT the result of 40 straight hours of feverish typing in my Brother in Law’s basement, as I spill welfare-financed Yoo Hoo on my mustard-stained T Shirt…as far as you know. ;)

While the ensuing posts will certainly sweep away the last vestiges of doubt, regarding my insanity, I should note, for the record, that even I have something resembling a life: I actually worked on this Labor of Love for three full months, but only a little bit at a time. And if anyone enjoys perusing it even a tenth as much as I enjoyed the process of putting it together, it will be very gratifying, indeed.

In any case: I sincerely hope every one of you enjoys reading it, while you shake your head in pity at my obsession...And I heartily look forward to reading all of yours. :cool:

My already considerably busy life ~ yes, I know that’s hard to believe, but I’m one of those 16 hours a day, every day guys, you see!! ~ is going to be getting considerably busier, almost immediately, so I can’t make any promises: But in the unlikely event that time and energy allows, I’ll keep illustrating your Drafts, for I've always enjoyed doing that. :)

This whole “Draft” business, you see, is my impersonation of “relaxing”.
crazy.gif

Thanks for your thoughts. Well researched. Enjoy your posts! Have fun at work and life!

Thank YOU, Brother Stanford!! May you succeed in doing both, as well!! :rocker:

Thank you all for your comments and your kindness, gents!!

Looking forward to seeing what y'all come up with, as well, in the months ahead!!

1. Robert Quinn OLB

2. Mikel Leshore RB
2b. Tate safety MD
3. Clint Boling T/G Georgia

4. Mike Pugh C or center from Utah

5. Herlizch BC

I didn't pick any DL because there are already a ton on the roster, Brace, Warren, Warren, Wilfork, Deaderick, Love, Pryor, Wright. Wright is kind of like JJ Watt with 15 more pounds and a lot more experience.

The guy from Georgia, Weston, is supposed to be a star in the making also.

1. Robert Quinn OLB

2. Mikel Leshore RB
2b. Tate safety MD
3. Clint Boling T/G Georgia

4. Mike Pugh C or center from Utah

5. Herlizch BC

I didn't pick any DL because there are already a ton on the roster, Brace, Warren, Warren, Wilfork, Deaderick, Love, Pryor, Wright. Wright is kind of like JJ Watt with 15 more pounds and a lot more experience.

The guy from Georgia, Weston, is supposed to be a star in the making also.

Missing a pick there. . . .

Maybe they do need a DE...in an otherwise steller game, the speed of the DL was pretty slow...couple outside runs and they couldn't contain anything. Not sure where the LB was.

Warren or maybe it was Brace, looked slow slow slow.

Not sure someone like JJ Watt would be better than Wright though.

Maybe they do need a DE...in an otherwise steller game, the speed of the DL was pretty slow...couple outside runs and they couldn't contain anything. Not sure where the LB was.

Warren or maybe it was Brace, looked slow slow slow.

Not sure someone like JJ Watt would be better than Wright though.

Mike Wright and Myron Pryor were both inactive last night with injuries. So they were without their sack leader and had to change things up a bit.

I know they started in a 4-2-5 Nickel D and got stuck in it for awhile when the Jets went No Huddle and they couldn't make changes so it probably wore some of the big guys down a bit.

Other than a few times when the OLB's had Sanchez but couldn;t hold onto him I think the D played a heck of a game.

Have a quick mock for ya OTG. Did a 1 rounder to show who was available when we picked. Objective. Get to their qb. Protect ours. Our picks are;

1a Aldon Smith - OLB - Mizzou - Rotate with TBC run/pass downs.
1b JJ Watt - DE - Wisconsin - Rotate with Deaderick run/pass downs.
2a M. Brewster - C - Ohio ST - Gotta replace Koppen sooner or later
2b T. Young - wr - Boise ST - Looks like our type of wr.
3a S. Schilling - ol - Michigan - Got lots of experience playing in space.
3b traded for 2nd in 2012
4 - G. Cooper - RB - Miami Fla. Boom/bust

Carolina - A. Luck - QB - Type of qb you can build around.
Detroit - P. Peterson - CB - We saw their secondary Turkey Day.
Cincy - N. Fairley - DT - They need to be tougher
Buffalo - C. Newton - QB - Need to sell tix and can bring slowly.
Arizona - R. Mallett - qb - God awful at qb
Denver - M. Dareus - DT - Need toughness upfront.
SF - D. Bowers - olb/de - Need a qb. Locker a reach. BPA
Dallas - T. Smith - T - Might be a reach here. Could go Amakamura
Tennessee - AJ Green - WR - Too good to pass up
Washington - P. Amakamura - cb Shanny hopes he gets Champ type
Houston - J. Jenkins - cb - These guys should trade up for Prince
Minnesota - A. Costanzo - T - OL terrible.
Cleveland - Julio Jones - WR - Get Colt a wr
SD - R. Quinn - OLB/DE - BPA
NE - Aldon Smith - olb Maybe Kerrigan, V. Miller or J. Houston
Seattle - A. Clayborn - de - Need everything. DL good place to start
Indy - D. Sherrod - T - Need to upgrade
Miami - V. Miller - olb - Good bookend opposite Wake
TB - A. Ayers - lb - Could go de
GB - M. Ingram - rb - Great value
St. L - R. Blackmon - wr - Kid looks like the real deal.
Jax - B. Harris - cb - Should upgrade awful secondary
KC - R. Kerrigan - olb Need to replace Vrabel
NYG - B. Carter - lb - Solid player
Balt - A. Williams - cb - Secondary is weak link on D.
Philly - Demarcus Love - ol - A. Reid loves those hogs.
NO - S. Paea - dt - Steal here
Chicago - N. Solder - t - Need help up front
NYJ - C. Jordan - de - need to pressure from DL
Pitt - J. Baldwin - wr - H. Ward long in tooth. Could go ol
Atlanta - A. Bailey - De - Dimitroff knows how to build a team
NE - JJ Watt - DE - A project. But, seems like a great fit for us.
NE - M. Brewster - c - Push for pt at rg in 11. Replace Koppen 12

In my mock, Jake Locker is still out there. Minny and SF didn't get their qb in Round 1. Nor Seattle. I expect one of them to make a pitch to get Jake. I'll say Seattle since they want to jump Minny and SF. We get their 2nd this year and 1st next year. Flip them a 4th or 5th because they already traded their own 3rd and 4th. Though they do have Denver's 4th they got from us for D. Branch. They have a real potential to tank next year. And, have a high pick. Love Hasslebeck. But, he's hard to keep healthy. Whitehurst looks terrible. Locker will not be ready. We could do that instead of getting Brewster. Who probably won't be there when Seattle picks.

Last edited:
Have a quick mock for ya OTG. Did a 1 rounder to show who was available when we picked.

Objective. Get to their qb. Protect ours. Our picks are;

1a Aldon Smith - OLB - Mizzou - Rotate with TBC run/pass downs.

1b JJ Watt - DE - Wisconsin - Rotate with Deaderick run/pass downs.

2a M. Brewster - C - Ohio ST - Gotta replace Koppen sooner or later

2b T. Young - wr - Boise ST - Looks like our type of wr.

3a S. Schilling - ol - Michigan - Got lots of experience playing in space.

3b traded for 2nd in 2012

4 - G. Cooper - RB - Miami Fla. Boom/bust

Carolina - A. Luck - QB - Type of qb you can build around.
Detroit - P. Peterson - CB - We saw their secondary Turkey Day.
Cincy - N. Fairley - DT - They need to be tougher
Buffalo - C. Newton - QB - Need to sell tix and can bring slowly.
Arizona - R. Mallett - qb - God awful at qb
Denver - M. Dareus - DT - Need toughness upfront.
SF - D. Bowers - olb/de - Need a qb. Locker a reach. BPA
Dallas - T. Smith - T - Might be a reach here. Could go Amakamura
Tennessee - AJ Green - WR - Too good to pass up
Washington - P. Amakamura - cb Shanny hopes he gets Champ type
Houston - J. Jenkins - cb - These guys should trade up for Prince
Minnesota - A. Costanzo - T - OL terrible.
Cleveland - Julio Jones - WR - Get Colt a wr
SD - R. Quinn - OLB/DE - BPA
NE - Aldon Smith - olb Maybe Kerrigan, V. Miller or J. Houston
Seattle - A. Clayborn - de - Need everything. DL good place to start
Indy - D. Sherrod - T - Need to upgrade
Miami - V. Miller - olb - Good bookend opposite Wake
TB - A. Ayers - lb - Could go de
GB - M. Ingram - rb - Great value
St. L - R. Blackmon - wr - Kid looks like the real deal.
Jax - B. Harris - cb - Should upgrade awful secondary
KC - R. Kerrigan - olb Need to replace Vrabel
NYG - B. Carter - lb - Solid player
Balt - A. Williams - cb - Secondary is weak link on D.
Philly - Demarcus Love - ol - A. Reid loves those hogs.
NO - S. Paea - dt - Steal here
Chicago - N. Solder - t - Need help up front
NYJ - C. Jordan - de - need to pressure from DL
Pitt - J. Baldwin - wr - H. Ward long in tooth. Could go ol
Atlanta - A. Bailey - De - Dimitroff knows how to build a team
NE - JJ Watt - DE - A project. But, seems like a great fit for us.
NE - M. Brewster - c - Push for pt at rg in 11. Replace Koppen 12

In my mock, Jake Locker is still out there. Minny and SF didn't get their qb in Round 1. Nor Seattle. I expect one of them to make a pitch to get Jake. I'll say Seattle since they want to jump Minny and SF. We get their 2nd this year and 1st next year. Flip them a 4th or 5th because they already traded their own 3rd and 4th. Though they do have Denver's 4th they got from us for D. Branch. They have a real potential to tank next year. And, have a high pick. Love Hasslebeck. But, he's hard to keep healthy. Whitehurst looks terrible. Locker will not be ready. We could do that instead of getting Brewster. Who probably won't be there when Seattle picks.

Man, I am LOVING this Draft!! :D

3 of my Super Star Binkies, Schilling ~ who I think is an AWESOME pick!! ~ and Cooper, who I would LOVE to have us scoop up and put on the PS for a year: Heart of a LION, that guy. GREAT Draft!! :rocker:

Here's Yet Another Tremendous Column by Wes Bunting at National FootBall Post:

A scout’s take on the good, the bad and the ugly from the fourteenth week of the college football season concerning some of the nation’s top prospects.

More on Auburn than meets the eye…

RB Mario Fannin: 5-11, 228

For a guy who has only carried the football 61 times this season, it’s easy to overlook a talent like Fannin at Auburn. The physically put together back was expected to see the bulk of the rushes coming into the season until freshman phenom Michael Dyer was thrown into the fold. Therefore, what do you do with a senior back who wasn’t even good enough to start for his college team? Well, in my view, Fannin does have an NFL skill set. He’s a big, powerful kid who has a good initial burst to his game with the footwork and fluidity to make a man miss/break a tackle and accelerate into daylight. However, the big drawback to his game and one of the main reasons why he isn’t seeing a ton of playing time running the football between the tackles this season is because he isn’t the most instinctive of backs when asked to allow blocks to set up, identify holes quickly and pick his way through traffic. Nevertheless, the guy does two things very well that will give him a chance at the next level…

1. He catches the football in the pass game.
2. He can help out in blitz pick-up and block on third downs.

It may not sound like much, but those two skill sets are enough to give this guy a chance as someone who can play on third downs and be worked in as a rotational back. Even so, Fannin still isn’t ever going to be a high draft pick, but he’s a guy who should test well for his size and still has the ability to make a roster after being overlooked during the season.

OC Ryan Pugh: (6-1, 295)

There aren’t too many guys out there who have the ability to start at left tackle as a true freshman in the SEC standing at only 6-1, 295 pounds. However, that’s exactly what Ryan Pugh did back in 2007. Since then the guy has moved inside to center and in my view has become one of the best pivots in the nation. He’s an undersized blocker, but sits into his stance well, snaps and sets very quickly, doesn’t waste any motion getting his hands into contact and generates the snap from his lower body to quickly gain leverage and create an initial surge into contact. He’s not only powerful in the run game, but he displays the body control to routinely work his legs through contact and seal defenders away from the football. Plus, the guy is smooth laterally in pass protection, can slide his feet in space and has the savvy to keep his head on a swivel and routinely pick up blitzing backers. Now, size is an issue, as he can be overpowered at times vs. the bull rush against bigger defenders. However, there have been plenty of undersized centers who have made it because they are quick off the ball, play with leverage and coordinated through contact and as a late round/free agent type guy, I think Pugh can do just that and make a roster for a team as a rookie.

One unique package…

At 6-6, 270 pounds, Maryland tight end Will Yeatman has really caught my attention in recent weeks. He’s a big, physical looking kid who not only has the ability to really mature as a blocker in the run game, but he’s also a coordinated pass catcher who does a better job getting off the line and running down the field than you would expect for a guy of his dimensions. However, what makes him an even more interesting prospect is the fact that the guy has only designated about half of his attention throughout his college career to football due to his talents as a lacrosse player. Yeatman is a former Lacrosse All-American who was even getting looks in the U.S. National team pool this season.

However, as a football player he is still raw. He will make some impressive one-handed catches adjusting to the football effortlessly in the pass game and the next play he will drop a throw that would hit him right in the chest. In the run game he has the ability to create a real jolt on contact, but he’s consistently one of the last linemen moving off the line and hasn’t learned how to extend his arms into contact consistently. So he is a work in progress.

Nevertheless, when breaking down a guy with his size, frame, athleticism and potential growth, his real calling card could come as a potential developmental left tackle prospect in the NFL much like current Patriot and 2010 prospect Steve Maneri. He’s going to need some work regardless of where he plays, therefore, trying to see if he can mature as an offensive tackle could make him a whole lot more valuable than a number 2/3 tight end, a position he could always make the move back to if he fails at tackle and still make a roster and play in the league as a short yardage/goal line “on the line Y.”

Physically, he doesn’t give himself much of a chance…

Going over some tape this weekend of Fresno State, it quickly became obvious when watching QB Ryan Colburn throw the football that he’s just a bit limited from a physical standpoint and doesn’t quite have the skill set needed to compete for a roster spot at the next level. He’s a nice-sized kid who looks comfortable taking snaps from under center and getting the ball out on time. He’s also a decent athlete who can move around in the pocket, keep his eyes down field while buying time for himself and showcases good anticipation in the pass game. However, when watching him throw the football he doesn’t seem to possess a real big pair of hands as the football rarely comes out cleanly spun. Plus, the lefty doesn’t display the most compact of throwing motions, as he seems to really rear back at times and will drop his arm down to more of a three-quarters release when he gets rid of the ball. His throws take entirely too long to get to his receivers outside the numbers and he has a tendency to try to overthrow balls in the intermediate pass game at times, causing some of his throws to really sail on him down the middle.

Overall, he’s a hard-working kid who has done a nice job running the pro style offense at Fresno State over the past two seasons. But there are just better physically gifted quarterbacks out there with a lot more upside that will likely keep Colburn from getting much of a look on draft day and as a possible roster spot guy.

Colburn Physically, Colburn doesn't quite add up.

Hasn’t come as far as I’d like, but will fit in with the right offense…

There is no doubt that the expectations for Florida State offensive guard Rodney Hudson have always been high. He’s a four-year starter who has been through the growing pains on the FSU offensive line, has matured because of it and now looks like on of the better senior guard prospects in the nation. At 6-2, 285 pounds, Hudson lacks ideal size for the position, but is a gifted athlete when asked to pull and showcases good lateral fluidity and quickness in the pass game. Plus, he possesses good length for his size and is able to consistently keep opposing defenders from easily getting into his frame in the pass game. However, the two concerns I have about his game continued to stick out to me this past weekend in his performance vs. Virginia Tech.

1. He isn’t nearly as technically sound in the pass game as you would expect for someone with his athletic skill set. He has a tendency to still get doubled over at the waist and get overextended into blocks, which cause him to lose balance easily. He’s a good athlete, but doesn’t play nearly as coordinated from play-to-play as you would expect.

2. He’s a long kid, which is a good thing in the pass game as a guard, but at times it seems like it takes him too long to uncoil his arms off the snap in the run game and quickly get into defenders and gain inside leverage. He doesn’t have the kind of base strength to play in an in-line type run game anyway, but his length is just another reason why he seems better fit for a zone-blocking scheme.

Overall, you have a good athlete, but he seems like a kid who is limited to only a zone-blocking type scheme at the next level. He has the athleticism to pull, get out to the second level and mirror in space, but he won’t be on a number of teams’ draft boards because of his size/power, which will limit just how high he can go on draft day. Nevertheless, I think he will make some team very happy getting him at a point in the draft a bit lower than most projected, as he has the ability to come in and mature into a starter pretty early in his career as a ZBS guard/center.

I bring this to your attention for several reasons, but in particular to highlight Yeatman, who I'd never even heard of, until yesterday.

The Patriots have an exceptional Opportunity, over the next 16 - 40 months, to beat the rest of the league into paste: Load up on Offensive Ends and WingBacks ~ guys like Alge Darius Crumpler, Rob Gronkowski, and Aaron Hernandez ~ play any number of Tactical Blocking Variations off of those players, take advantage of the other 31 teams, who have leaned WAY over towards fast and small on Defense...fatally out match them with a diverse crew of brutally strong + deadly fast Hybrids that they can't Block, can't Tackle, and can't Run with...and drive the enemy before us, howling for mercy!!

With rosters very likely expanding towards 60, next year, I say we haul in any number of the following guys:

* Lee Smith ~ 6.6/267 ~ FEROCIOUS Blocking Offensive End who can run Routes and catch the ball. At 6.6/267, he could even be converted to an athletic Tackle, a la Steve Maneri, something Brother Bunting has already suggested. That would be fine by me, but imagine how CRUSHING the Run Blocking would be, if we sent out Alge Crumpler AND Lee Smith in the same formation...or all the other Tactical Possibilities!! 6th Rounder, is my guess, maybe 7th.

* Will Yeatman ~ 6.6/270 ~ Now THIS guy actually strikes me as having some pretty serious upside as a true 50/50 Hybrid, like Gronkowski: He is extremely raw, but his fusion of brutal strength and athletic grace have me salivating and thinking in Antonio Gates terms. He needs a LOT of work, but the upside is IMMENSE. 8th Rounder.

* Brett Brackett ~ 6.6/245 ~ Another Raw but FRIGHTENING Fusion of Receiving AND Blocking talent. Recent Convert from Wide Receiver, he is huge, quick, strong, tough, and a FEROCIOUS Blocker. 8th Rounder.

* Jerrod Johnson ~ 6.4/245 ~ Yeah, the recent Heisman candidate who's season has been a disaster, and is probably going in the 8th Round. As a College QB, he would be 100% project, but, then, so was Julian Edelman. And Johnson's explosiveness is IMMENSE.

NFP's Wes Bunting's Scout's NoteBook: Defense!!

A scout’s take on the good, the bad and the ugly from the fourteenth week of the college football season concerning some of the nation’s top prospects.

Pass rusher who can make the switch…

Breaking down Fresno State tape this past week, there is no doubt that DE Chris Carter has some natural pass rush ability. He possesses a good first step off the snap, displays some lateral suddenness when asked to side step blocks on any kind of inside or stunt and does a decent job using his length to keep himself clean before accelerating toward the ball. However, he’s not the most flexible of defenders when asked to coil up into his stance and play with his hand on the ground. Plus, he has a tendency to allow himself to quickly get upright around the edge and lacks ideal power/hand placement on contact. And at only 6-2, 240 pounds, he isn’t the type of guy who can consistently sit in and anchor with much success vs. the run game.

Therefore, when projecting his game to the next level, he looks like a much better fit as a 3-4 rush linebacker than as a down nickel rusher. Plus, the move gives him the ability to mature into a potential three-down player as opposed to a situational pass rusher. He does have experience rushing from a two-point stance as well and looks much more comfortable standing up than with his hand on the ground and I think ultimately it will simply allow him to be more effective at what he does best and that’s create pressure in the pass game.

Keeps on falling…

The more I watch South Carolina DE Cliff Matthews the less I like him as a prospect. He doesn’t have the type of initial burst to consistently fire off the football and threaten the edge. He isn’t real fluid or flexible when asked to drop his pad level down around the corner and he too often allows himself to play too high which takes away from his ability to cleanly slip blocks and generate a burst for himself toward the QB.

To his credit, he is still playing hard this season as he will chase the football from the backside, gives good effort in pursuit and displays the ability to create turnovers on contact. However, as a pure pass rusher at the next level, he just doesn’t possess any elite or even very good qualities that will allow him to win his one-on-one battles routinely and create pressure off the edge. Looks more like a reserve lineman to me who will get a shot because of his past production and intriguing frame, but hasn’t been real impressive on tape all season long.

Overrated because of the poor safety class…

FS Chris Prosinski: Wyoming (6-1, 210)

The best thing Prosinski has going for him is that he possesses good size and overall length for the position and when asked to get into a ball carrier he has the ability to use his length to wrap up and drag his man to the ground. However, he isn’t a real physical striker by any stretch, fails to take great angles when asked to tackle in space and doesn’t exhibit a great closing gear on the football in pursuit. Too often vs. the better backs he would face, he could be seen easily getting outpaced at the second level and would just flail at the back as he tried to break down and tackle him in space. Plus, he isn’t the most fluid or balanced of defensive backs in coverage and it takes him too long to get back up to speed. And even once he does reach top-end speed, he still lacks the kind of range to make up for a false step and put himself around the football. Overall, if you have a safety who struggles as a tackler and doesn’t run real well, he’s going to have a tough time making an NFL roster.

FS Marcus Ball: Memphis (6-0, 210)

Ball is a former Florida State transfer who has developed into a solid college safety in Conference USA, as he showcases some real natural explosion to his game as a tackler at times. However, he isn’t a real gifted athlete and struggles to quickly decipher information and take proper angles toward the football. In the run game, he routinely will see his angles outpaced when asked to attack the line of scrimmage and allow backs to easily/routinely accelerate past him. He also struggles to break down on contact in a phone booth and again fails to consistently wrap up and make a play on the ball carrier.

In the pass game he possesses a better second gear and range when asked to chase the ball in space. However, he struggles to get back up to speed quickly in and out of his breaks because of his overextended footwork and displays really poor instincts in coverage. Ball routinely takes himself out of plays vs. any kind of play fake, exposing the deep half of the field and allowing opposing receivers to create big plays in the space he vacated. Again, when you have a guy who isn’t a consistent tackler, isn’t real instinctive and lacks great speed, you’re looking at someone who simply isn’t cut out for the next level.

Improvements have been made, but are they enough??

I will admit to being much more impressed this time around watching Baylor DT Phil Taylor than I was last summer on tape. At 6-4, 340 pounds, the guy does possess a good overall first step for his size, displays some quickness when asked to shed blocks and is doing a better job using his length and hands to keep himself clean in the pass game. Also, he’s a really strong kid who has the kind of power to overwhelm on contact on his bull rush when he wants to push the pocket, can eat up blocks inside vs. the run and did an impressive job defeating slide down blocks on the move, keeping his motor running and making a play on the football away from his frame.

However, he’s still raw and if he really wants to take his game to the next level he needs to learn to play with a more consistent pad level. First off, he really struggles to sit into his stance, stay compact and keep his pad level down into contact. Then, once he fires off the ball, his pad level gets far too high, which limits his power, balance and overall explosion in both the run and pass game.

Nevertheless, he’s so physically gifted that he can get away with it for the most part, but he has the upside to develop into a quality NFL lineman if he wants to. Also, weighed into the equation is his overall character concerns. He’s a former Penn State defensive lineman who transferred after being dismissed from the Nittany Lions back in 2008 and has had his fair share of weight problems during his college career. However, if he can put that all behind him he seems like a guy who could play just about any interior defensive line position in the NFL including even the 5-technique as a 3-4 defensive end. But he strikes me as a real boom or bust type prospect who will likely be overdrafted due to upside and will need some time to mature both on and off the field.

* I will admit to being much more impressed this time around watching Baylor DT Phil Taylor than I was last summer on tape.

* At 6-4, 340 pounds, the guy does possess a good overall first step for his size, displays some quickness when asked to shed blocks and is doing a better job using his length and hands to keep himself clean in the pass game.

* Also, he’s a really strong kid who has the kind of power to overwhelm on contact on his bull rush when he wants to push the pocket, can eat up blocks inside vs. the run and did an impressive job defeating slide down blocks on the move, keeping his motor running and making a play on the football away from his frame.

However, he’s still raw and if he really wants to take his game to the next level he needs to learn to play with a more consistent pad level. First off, he really struggles to sit into his stance, stay compact and keep his pad level down into contact. Then, once he fires off the ball, his pad level gets far too high, which limits his power, balance and overall explosion in both the run and pass game.

Nevertheless, he’s so physically gifted that he can get away with it for the most part, but he has the upside to develop into a quality NFL lineman if he wants to. Also, weighed into the equation is his overall character concerns. He’s a former Penn State defensive lineman who transferred after being dismissed from the Nittany Lions back in 2008 and has had his fair share of weight problems during his college career.

* However, if he can put that all behind him he seems like a guy who could play just about any interior defensive line position in the NFL including even the 5-technique as a 3-4 defensive end.

But he strikes me as a real boom or bust type prospect who will likely be overdrafted due to upside and will need some time to mature both on and off the field.

I'll say it again: If we can harness this kid's immense capabilities ~ and nobody is more adept at that than our very Crew ~ the Tactical Possibilities...are simply AWESOME.

I'll say it again: If we can harness this kid's immense capabilities ~ and nobody is more adept at that than our very Crew ~ the Tactical Possibilities...are simply AWESOME.

While I havent seen him play the reports on him are quite interesting, imagine if he could get down to a solid 315lbs, what would he be capable of?

While I havent seen him play the reports on him are quite interesting, imagine if he could get down to a solid 315lbs, what would he be capable of?

Indeed, sir.

Commander Bill Belichick continues to Revolutionize The Game...right before our very eyes.

I get sweeter on Warren II, each and every week. I DO believe that that @#$%^& is BORN AGAIN HARD.

With Super Grizzlies like...

* Phil Taylor ~ 6.4/340
* Vince Wilfork ~ 6.2/325
* Gerald Warren ~ 6.4/330

...OBLITERATING all vestiges of Hope for opposing Run Games...

...we could get some serious work done. :rocker:

Here's my current 4 round mock for the Pats. This is considering I think Rosters will expand to the 55-58 range for an 18 game season so that they will keep an extra WR above what they currently have. The focus of this mock draft was on leadership and filling the few needs of the Pats.

1A. Anthony Castonzo – OT Boston College (6-7/308)
Senior, 2010 Team Captain. All ACC First team in 2010. Nominated for a Rhodes scholarship in 2010. Four year starter with 53 consecutive starts. Good at both pass blocking and run blocking. Needs to work on his strength a little but that shouldn’t be a problem. Last year the draft class was used to bring youth to the Defense (youngest in the league). This year the offense gets its youth injection starting in the trenches. The OL prospects from last year got picked up by other teams after final cuts (Larsen – TB, Welch – Min) so the cupboard is a little bare. If they can resign Matt Light to a couple of years he will have a nice bridge to the future LT job and form a great tandem with Vollmer at RT.

1B. Cameron Jordan – DE/DT California (6-4/283)
Senior, 2010 Team Captain. All PAC-10 First team in 2010. This years’ version of Tyson Alualu. Cameron Jordan is poised to fly up draft boards with his incredible play of late. 6 sacks in 2010 (17 in Career) so he can get to the QB. Has experience playing the 5 technique since Cal runs a 3-4 defense so will have a lower learning curve. They may have to move up a few spots to get ahead of the Jets to get him since they also need a 3-4 DE but that shouldn’t be too costly. Jordan along with a returning Ty Warren and emerging Brace and Deaderick should form a solid DL rotation.

2A. Jeremy Beal – DE/OLB Oklahoma (6-3/267)
Senior, 2010 Team Captain. Big-12 Defensive Lineman of the Year 2010. All Big-12 First team in 2010. The front seven is always a priority, especially the pass rush. Beal is a great DE/OLB prospect, and could really bring some pressure in the Patriots system. Beal has a great motor and an insane work ethic. 10 sacks in 2010 (28 in career). Has the athleticism to drop into coverage as well.

2B. John Moffitt – G/C Wisconsin (6-5/323)
5th Year Senior, 2010 Team Captain. All-Big Ten First team in 2009 and 2010. Played center before the 2009 season before switching to LG so has versatility to play both. Good size and reasonably good strength... Good run blocker, with very solid power... Very solid pass blocker... Sets up reasonably quick... Patient, can sit back in his stance and absorb contact, good anchor...This would be a good second piece to the new revamped OL and a replacement for Mankins if he leaves or a future replacement for Koppen if Mankins stays.

3A. Leonard Hankerson – WR Miami (6-3/215)
Senior, 2010 Team Captain. All ACC First team in 2010. Third player in Miami history to record 1000 yd season (Eddie Brown-1983, Andre Johnson-2002) and first to have 2000 yds in career and 1000 yds in a season. 12 TD’s in 2010 broke Michael Irvin’s mark of 11 set in 1986. Top Senior WR but because there are so many Junior WR’s coming out he slips a little bit. Should provide good competition for Tate/Edleman for the 3rd WR spot and could eventually be the replacement for Branch.

3B. Daniel Thomas – RB Kansas State (6-2/228)
Senior, 2010 Player Representative (15 players Team Captains are selected from). All Big-12 Second team in 2010. Big bruising 2 year starter that amassed 1495 yards and 16 TD’s this past year and has a career 5.3 yard avg. Also caught 25 balls per year so can be a receiving threat out of the backfield as well. Had two huge bookend games this year with 234 yds Vs. UCLA and then closed out the year with 269 yds at North Texas. Should be a good complement to BJGE and Woody.

4. Quinton Carter – FS Oklahoma (6-1/200)
5th yr Senior, All Big-12 First Team. 92 Tackles, 4 Int in 2010. Carter is exactly the type of versatile defensive back the Patriots are looking for to slow down the pass-happy offenses in today's game. He has played strong and free safety in Bob Stoops' defense at Oklahoma because of his physicality and speed; his ability to make the big hit, support the run, play centerfielder, or even line up in man coverage is rare among college safeties. Exceptional leader on the field and in the locker room.

NFP's Wes Bunting "hands out some hardware!!"

In the spirit of the College Football Awards show this evening, the National Football Post has decided to create its own little spin off of the award season. Therefore, we are proud to introduce the 2010 Scout’s awards, based on the 2010 season. Enjoy.

The “Riser” of the year…

DT Nick Fairley: Auburn (6-4, 300)

After starting only two games last year as a sophomore, Fairley has simply become the most dominant defensive lineman in the country this season. His combination of power, explosion and athletic ability allows him to fit into any scheme at the next level and he looks like one of the few blue-chip prospects entering the 2011 draft. Not bad for a kid who wasn’t on anyone’s radar coming into 2010.

Other nominees…

QB Cam Newton: Auburn
OT Danny Watkins: Baylor
DE Cameron Jordan: California

The “Faller” of the year…

QB Jerrod Johnson: Texas A&M (6-4, 245)

Everything seemed so promising for Johnson after a brilliant performance against Texas at the end of the 2009 season. However, since then, the guy has really struggled with turnovers, lost his starting job and seems like a QB who is going to have a real tough time making an NFL roster. He does have some natural athletic ability, but his throwing mechanics need a lot of work and I wouldn’t consider him much more than a developmental free agent at this stage.

Other nominees…

DT Marvin Austin: North Carolina
DE Greg Romeus: Pittsburgh
RB Evan Royster: Penn State

The small-school prospect of the year…

OG Benjamin Ijalana: Villanova (6-4, 320)

When you watch a small-school kid who has the makings of a potential NFL player, the first thing you want to see from him on tape is the ability to absolutely dominate the competition physically. And that’s exactly what Ijalana does. Plus, as a senior, he seems to be playing with a bit lower of a base and trying to stay more compact and balanced through contact in both the run and pass game. He still has a ways to go, but he’s trying to do the right things and possesses the skill set to start at the next level with some time to mature.

Other nominees…
CB Ryan Jones: Northwest Missouri State
DT Cedric Thornton: Southern Arkansas
OT David Mims: Virginia Union

Most improved player award…

OT Danny Watkins: Baylor (6-4, 310)

As a pure college offensive tackle, Watkins very well might have been the best player I saw on tape at the position this season. The 26-year-old former Canadian firefighter has come a long way on the gridiron for a guy with only three years of playing experience. However, he has shown significant improvement from last season and although he lacks the length and overall height to play as the left tackle in the NFL, he displays impressive balance, fluidity and range through contact and can mirror in space. I think the guy projects as one of if not the best guard prospect in the NFL draft, and I fully believe if he were 3 years younger and about two inches taller, the guy would be a first-round pick without a doubt. Nevertheless, I still think whichever team takes him can still get some good play from him early in his NFL career, even if it might be a shorter one.

Other nominees…
LB Mason Foster: Washington
CB Johnny Patrick: Louisville
QB Ricky Stanzi: Iowa

Step in the wrong direction award…

QB Jake Locker: Washington (6-3, 230)

It’s not even that Locker took a step backward this season, because we knew he had some rough spots to his game coming into the year. But you would expect a kid who is as hard working as many claim about Locker with his physical skill set and coaching around him to really take that next step as a senior. However, he has still been as inconsistent as any quarterback in the country at times this year. He still forces the ball into coverage, doesn’t do a great job anticipating routes when asked to find a secondary read and his accuracy — even when he remains balanced with his footwork — still runs hot and cold. He seemed to have found some of his mojo toward the end of the year, but Locker has not had the type of senior year I thought he could.

Other nominees…

DE Cliff Matthews: South Carolina
QB Christian Ponder: Florida State
DT Jerrell Powe: Mississippi

One-year starter of the year (senior only)

OT Derek Hall: Stanford (6-5, 300)

Hall came to Stanford as a highly sought after defensive line prospect, but has since added some weight, moved over to the offensive line and has really matured into a very impressive senior blocker in 2010. He was playing behind two potential NFL prospects last season, which allowed him to grow at his own pace, develop at the position and now looks like a solid draftabale player in his own right. He still needs to tighten up his footwork in pass protection, but he displays good enough range off the edge and can consistently win for you in the run game because of his ability to gain leverage, play as the low man and maintain balance through contact. He’s another reason why Stanford has continued to grow so quickly as a program.

Other nominees…

CB Curtis Marsh: Utah State
ILB Jeff Tarpinian: Iowa
DE Steven Friday: Virginia Tech

Boom or bust prospect of the year…

DT Marvin Austin: North Carolina (6-3, 310)

Physically, the guy is as gifted as they come. He possesses a good first step off the snap, possesses a strong base and can consistently overwhelm opposing blockers on contact. Plus, for a guy his size, he displays good range when asked to work in pursuit and is simply an imposing physical talent. However, the biggest concern I have is, “how bad does he want it?” He’s already been suspended for the entire year for his dealings with NFL agents. Plus, he’s an immature kid who seems more obsessed with what football gives him than the actual game itself. And there are a lot of talent evaluators out there — myself included — who don’t think this guy will ever live up to a fraction of his physical skill set. Austin is a talented player who could be a real player at the next level if he wants it, but there are just too many questions attached to his name at this stage for me to feel real confident in taking him high.

Other nominees…
DT Phil Taylor: Baylor
QB Cam Newton: Auburn
WR DeAndre Brown: Southern Miss

1A. Anthony Castonzo – OT Boston College (6-7/308)
Senior, 2010 Team Captain. All ACC First team in 2010. Nominated for a Rhodes scholarship in 2010. Four year starter with 53 consecutive starts. Good at both pass blocking and run blocking. Needs to work on his strength a little but that shouldn’t be a problem. Last year the draft class was used to bring youth to the Defense (youngest in the league). This year the offense gets its youth injection starting in the trenches. The OL prospects from last year got picked up by other teams after final cuts (Larsen – TB, Welch – Min) so the cupboard is a little bare. If they can resign Matt Light to a couple of years he will have a nice bridge to the future LT job and form a great tandem with Vollmer at RT.

2B. John Moffitt – G/C Wisconsin (6-5/323)
5th Year Senior, 2010 Team Captain. All-Big Ten First team in 2009 and 2010. Played center before the 2009 season before switching to LG so has versatility to play both. Good size and reasonably good strength... Good run blocker, with very solid power... Very solid pass blocker... Sets up reasonably quick... Patient, can sit back in his stance and absorb contact, good anchor...This would be a good second piece to the new revamped OL and a replacement for Mankins if he leaves or a future replacement for Koppen if Mankins stays.

I LOVE Moffitt, hopefully he will be around at the end of the second round. I still holding out hope for Quinn with the Oakland pick, and then I fully expect BB to trade the Pats !st rd pick and the Carolina pick to stock up 2nd round picks again (it worked last few years).

* Brett Brackett ~ 6.6/245 ~ Another Raw but FRIGHTENING Fusion of Receiving AND Blocking talent. Recent Convert from Wide Receiver, he is huge, quick, strong, tough, and a FEROCIOUS Blocker. 8th Rounder.

I love this pick. I know one of PSU's assistant coaches and he has said on more then one occasion that he wishes he had a whole team of Brett Brackett type players. The kid is a hard worker, listens well and plays hard. Sounds like a Patriots pick to me!

3A. Leonard Hankerson – WR Miami (6-3/215)
Senior, 2010 Team Captain. All ACC First team in 2010. Third player in Miami history to record 1000 yd season (Eddie Brown-1983, Andre Johnson-2002) and first to have 2000 yds in career and 1000 yds in a season. 12 TD’s in 2010 broke Michael Irvin’s mark of 11 set in 1986. Top Senior WR but because there are so many Junior WR’s coming out he slips a little bit. Should provide good competition for Tate/Edleman for the 3rd WR spot and could eventually be the replacement for Branch.

3B. Daniel Thomas – RB Kansas State (6-2/228)
Senior, 2010 Player Representative (15 players Team Captains are selected from). All Big-12 Second team in 2010. Big bruising 2 year starter that amassed 1495 yards and 16 TD’s this past year and has a career 5.3 yard avg. Also caught 25 balls per year so can be a receiving threat out of the backfield as well. Had two huge bookend games this year with 234 yds Vs. UCLA and then closed out the year with 269 yds at North Texas. Should be a good complement to BJGE and Woody.

These are excellent third round picks and would be extremely happy if BB took these guys in the third round because if would end the years of BB using non-comp third round picks on potato head players.

Depending on how Thomas runs, he could be the perfect fit in our offense, because he can catch and run. With a lot of work on blocking, he could be a very versatile weapon, run or pass. I think his playing at K state may actually help him fall to us in the third round.

Hankerson would really give Price/Tate a run for their roster spot, depending on how he runs. Talk about creating competition in camp? Wow! It might force BB to keep 6 WR's (not counting Slater as a WR) or at worst Price flames out and keeps BB's track record of third orund failures intact. Bottom Line is that if you can get 1,000 in that horrible Miami offense, you have done something.

WB Brett Brackett of Penn State ~ 6.6/245

Like I allways say: You can never have too many WingBacks. :D

Brackett has already made the conversion from Wide Receiver. He's raw as hell, but he's huge, he's quick, he's tough, and he's a demolishing Blocker. He could actually turn out to be awfully, awfully good.

I love this pick. I know one of PSU's assistant coaches and he has said on more then one occasion that he wishes he had a whole team of Brett Brackett type players. The kid is a hard worker, listens well and plays hard. Sounds like a Patriots pick to me!

Well SAID, sir!! :rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes