PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wow! No Pats nationally televised game Week 1!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, that's all pre-determined. There is a method behind it, although I don't agree.
You don't think the system is fair? An 8-year schedule where every team plays every other team at least twice, home and away? Where each team in each division has all thier games except 2 against common opponents? Where the remaining 2 are scheduled so top teams play top teams, number 2 teams play #2 teams, etc?

How would you improve on that?

Go Redskins, Bears, Vikings and Raiders.

You don't think the system is fair? An 8-year schedule where every team plays every other team at least twice, home and away? Where each team in each division has all thier games except 2 against common opponents? Where the remaining 2 are scheduled so top teams play top teams, number 2 teams play #2 teams, etc?

How would you improve on that?

I agree. It's an ideal system that's only possible fault lies in the fact that the Pats and Colts win the division every year.

Slightly interesting factoid... The Raiders have been involved in a nationally televised game during Week 1 three out of the last four seasons (including this upcoming one), despite sucking for all of this time.

Slightly interesting factoid... The Raiders have been involved in a nationally televised game during Week 1 three out of the last four seasons (including this upcoming one), despite sucking for all of this time.

Guess that makes the Raiduhs the proverbial sacrificial lamb.....

Personally I find any game involving the Colts great - being there is no team in the NFL I root more against.

Well – there’s the Jets, but they’re not actually a threat.

I agree. It's an ideal system that's only possible fault lies in the fact that the Pats and Colts win the division every year.
It's no longer a run away in our (colts) division now.. Jags, Titans and Texas have all become a lot better somehow.. The Jags will be giving us a really tough challenge at the championship. And the Titans are the Colts JV team.. They sign all our FA we don't want..lol

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced the 2008 Kickoff Weekend national primetime television schedule on Monday.

For the fifth consecutive season, the defending Super Bowl champion will open the season by hosting the NFL Thursday night season kickoff. The 2008 regular season officially opens on Thursday, Sept. 4 when the New York Giants host the Washington Redskins at 7 p.m. ET on NBC.

The kickoff will be 90 minutes earlier than the start time of the traditional season opener due to the Republican National Convention.

The Week 1 Sunday night primetime contest will feature a rematch of of Super Bowl XLI, with the Chicago Bears at the Indianapolis Colts at 8:15 p.m. ET. It will mark the Colts' first game in their new home, Lucas Oil Stadium.

The first Monday night of the 2008 season will feature a doubleheader for the third consecutive season. In two matchups of division rivals on Sept. 8, the Green Bay Packers will host the Minnesota Vikings at 7 p.m. ET, followed by the Denver Broncos at the Oakland Raiders at 10:15 p.m. ET. Both games will be televised on ESPN.

The announcement of these national primetime TV games was made by Goodell at the NFL Annual Meeting in Palm Beach, Florida.
the fact that the pats are not on sunday and the colts are tells me its about the 'integrity' issue thing which godell is promoting and he doesnt want a nationally televised game on week one talking about videotaping.

The Pats will get their six (max) national games, so the order is kind of irrelevant. I'm guessing they'll be 4 on the original schedule giving NBC the chance to flex two more late in the season.

the fact that the pats are not on sunday and the colts are tells me its about the 'integrity' issue thing which godell is promoting and he doesnt want a nationally televised game on week one talking about videotaping.

I think you're right, but I'm still shocked that you guys aren't on Week 1. Still seems odd to me--isn't it the norm that both SB teams open up week 1 on the prime time games?

I was hoping for a tougher matchup. I'm curious about the team's mentality for 2008 and we probably won't know until we play a tough game.

I think something like this could ease them back into being themselves. Maybe. Of curse that is pure rationalization on my part. Besides, I like cream puffs.:)

It would be nice to fly under the radar for at least part of the season next year.

I'd also like to get my money's worth out of the ridiculous cost of Sunday Ticket. Less national games means more I wouldn't see without it :D

I think something like this could ease them back into being themselves. Maybe. Of curse that is pure rationalization on my part. Besides, I like cream puffs.:)

I'm not exactly sure what "themselves" is anymore.

So we're left with the following possible opponents for Week 1:

Jets (home/away)
Bills (home/away)
Dolphins (home/away)
Rams (home)
Cardinals (home)
Chiefs (home)

What a snoozer for Week 1 either way :(
as long as they win i could care less who they play.

2005 regular season. It is only fair since Indy seemed to come here for five years straight.
Actually only 3 if you only count the regular season, 2004 to 2006. And if both teams continue winning their respective divisions, it will balance out as we'll play there from 2007 to 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results