PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you swap Gaffney for Sheppard and a mid round pick in 2009?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think everyone sees Gaffney as a system WR. Granted he has higher value then he did 2 years ago, but he still not probowl caliber like Sheppard

Ahhh.... the ever popular "both teams lose" type of trade....

Ha Ha! so true! Why would we want to give up Gaffney? And I'm sure the Eagles are looking for a high draft pick for Lito.

Pats should offer them a third or maybe a second pick since they have two second rounders. Keep Gaff.

No. :eek: :disagreement:

Philly would laugh at that Offer..Considereing they could prolly send Lito and a mid-rounder to the Cards in exchange for Boldin. Gaffney is good but only b/c the system he has been in with NE.
Yeah, just like Tom Brady being a "system" QB. Jesus, I hate any term which includes the word "system." If a guy's good, he's good, regardless of the freakin' system.

I think the designation of a "system quarterback" is appropriate in college football - too many to name them all here - but that label has no merit in the NFL. Granted, there are different coaching philosophies and schemes, but nobody succeeds at the NFL level without skills. Brady, McNabb, Roethlisberger and others would still be good quarterbacks on other teams, with a different coach and a different scheme; they are not "system quarterbacks."

On the other hand there are players - quartebacks, specifically - who succeed (win) due more to the talent around them than their own skills. Trent Dilfer with the Ravens a few years ago is a good example, and there have been others.

Ahhh.... the ever popular "both teams lose" type of trade....

Agreed. Eagles would be selling their Pro Bowl CB for 30 cents on the dollar, and Patriots would have a gaping hole at flanker (Stallworth is gone, Jackson doesn't look ready to replace him, and Washington would be better suited as a backup). Besides, Bryant should do fine at corner. Better to leave good enough alone (that, and this trade would never happen, it's a WEEI-type trade proposal).

Ha Ha! so true! Why would we want to give up Gaffney? And I'm sure the Eagles are looking for a high draft pick for Lito.

Pats should offer them a third or maybe a second pick since they have two second rounders. Keep Gaff.

Well played sir. Good call. I agree. I think he would be the #1 CB immediately which is what he truly wants. I have not seen anything from any CB to date here. Very shaky to say the least. When Shoate was the best CB on the field last Sunday and had been in camp just a week, we need to consider agonizing reappraisal.

Here is the caveat. If Lito wants Assante $, why didn't we pay that back a few months ago and kept Samuel? If he can be had for a #3 and he would agree to a little more reasonable number than Assante, go for it.

As for Gaffney, I think he has developed into a reliable "swing man" receiver but not a #3 guy in the Pats spread full time. I would offer one of our #2 choices and CJ (He needs a change of scenerie) for Boldin, and if Rosenhouse can be calmed down, why not go for it? I think patience is what CJ needs and with Breaston and Fitzgerald, CJ would not have to be "the guy" like the year we drafted him. Maybe that set him back. Too much pressure back then and he can't catch up now. He seems tentative and lost. He still has tools and younth and a decent CAP number.

Out TE situation is iffy with injuries and inconsistent play. Boldin is one of the best blocking WRs in the game. Why not use him as a Clark or Cooley type of tight end and flex him out. Gates is a minimal blocker as well who splits wide.
Someone said we can't invest too much in WR money, why not? It's what our offense is built for.

I'd be happy if we could snag both Boldin and Sheppard. CAP wise? Who knows.
DW Toys

Maybe we can get Demarcus Ware for Kyle Eckel too.

I'd give a 2nd round pick for Lito straight up. That's all.
Of course signing him to the $$ he wants after the trade is the hard part.
So it's not gonna happen, most likely.

wasn't gaffney with the eagles before and they cut him loose?

I hate fantasy trade scenarios but I'll coment on this one. The Eagles did sign Gaffney in March of 2006 as Mr.BW mentiones before releasing him during final cuts prior to the 2006 season. They would not be interested here. From what I remember he wasn't a good fit for their west coast offense so I doubt that has changed, also if they really wanted him he was a FA prior to this season and made no move to try and sign him. I wouldn't trade Gaffney either because he works well out of the slot, he is tough never missing a game during his career and is very comfortable in this offense and is a reliable target for Brady.

Lito also had been in decline the past two years and I think a 2nd Rd pick is too high for him at this point, I would be more comfortable trading either a 3rd or 4th.

Frankly, I think Gaffney is underrated even by homers. He has made some seriously clutch receptions for this franchise. He's dependable, a hard worker, is cool under pressure, works great out of the slot and is a team player. I really don't know what more you could ask for in a #3 or even #2 receiver.

Right now I would say no. No Gaffney has proven to be a reliable Receiver who can get open sometimes when others can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft