PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Worst 4th-quarter QB (on the road) in NFL since '09 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The team's second half woes last year were the result of a combination of things. Lack of effort on the part of Brady is not something I'd put on the list.

Im mostly speaking on the Jets game, because the Jets didn't put pressure, didn't have their number one CB, and we have no excuses for a stale offense. This year we have enough weapons to keep the defense honest, so somebody is to blame, the Jets defense isn't that good imo.

WOW.

I kept reading the posts, all the way through to the 4th page...expecting the Punch Line at any minute!!

Never happened.

This reminds me of all the articles I read by the scum who write for The Boston Glob, back in 2001, attempting to assure me that Pedro would "never be the same, again". :rolleyes:

I guess that certain debris missed this simple fact: Brady had a MONSTER INJURY, two years ago.

And in case you've never been blessed with the powers of observation ~ as so many, evidently, have NOT ~ MONSTER INJURIES...take 18 months or so, for the injured party to heal, recover, and take it back through the gears.

And this recovery was, of course, greatly exacerbated ~ and extended ~ by Alfred the HeadStomper, a year ago

Anybody with any sense ~ sadly, that excludes so many who've posted, above ~ realizes that you can pretty much throw out the stats of 2009, a recovery year in which he was also playing hurt.

By Christmas, we should have a pretty good idea about this team...

And simple observation and understanding strongly suggest that, by then, we will be demonstrably heading in the right direction.

As I have already pointed out he is playing as good as Manning or Brees or whoever you want to throw up there first half, he doesn't look injured when he is throwing over 70%, spreading the field, and making good reads first half. So are you saying his injury causes him to play two quarters and then disappear? I just don't buy it, you can say I lack sense but the fact is if he isn't 100% then why is it only showing AFTER halftime.

Brady is my favorite player, I defend him all the time to Manning supporters, but all of us being Pats fan should learn to observe and discuss when something looks off, at least that is what I thought.

Oh yes, I agree that this likely some tiny blip on the radar of Tommy's great career. I'm quite certain it won't persist. Well, fairly certain any way....:D

I guess the reality that it historically takes 12 to 24 months to Take It Back Through The Gears after a Major Injury is mystifying to many...

If you wish to believe that Brady ~ Tom Brady ~ has somehow, mystically, metamorphosed into some creature who can't make it happen in the second half, be my guest.

* Believe me, gentlemen: Brady IS back, but has only been 100% right since Opening Day of this year.

* It's hard to accept that he basically lost 2 entire years, but that's reality, whether we like it or not.

* And it would be beyond ridiculous to try to suggest an historical change of trend, based on 3 games.

Im mostly speaking on the Jets game, because the Jets didn't put pressure, didn't have their number one CB, and we have no excuses for a stale offense. This year we have enough weapons to keep the defense honest, so somebody is to blame, the Jets defense isn't that good imo.

I'm not going to rehash the Jets game on yet another thread, so I'll leave that part alone. However, you started saying things like "slipping of late", which is not just referring to one game, which is where I was coming from.

Could be, I have no clue how involved he is in the offense, maybe the OC is calling passive plays, but I hate to say a guy like Brady isn't giving his all.

why does he 'decide' to not give his all in the 4th quarter ? any suggestions ? why not suck in the 1st ? he got his extension, he had an injury excuse...

he hasnt played well in the 4th Q but lets stop questioning his effort . Guy played with a broken rib also last yr.he didnt miss a practice this season and played 4 meaningless preseason without a contract with an injury in any of those 4 games possibly affecting his future contract etc...so lets just stop this assesment that his didnt play hard in the 4th quarter...

A running game would do wonders....

why does he 'decide' to not give his all in the 4th quarter ? any suggestions ? why not suck in the 1st ? he got his extension, he had an injury excuse...

he hasnt played well in the 4th Q but lets stop questioning his effort . Guy played with a broken rib also last yr.he didnt miss a practice this season and played 4 meaningless preseason without a contract with an injury in any of those 4 games possibly affecting his future contract etc...so lets just stop this assesment that his didnt play hard in the 4th quarter...

Alright lets just ignore it, until it affects the season. :D

It's the scheme......he's a system qb......he doesn't care anymore.......there are no coordinators....bb doesn't care anymore......bob kraft wants to keep the stadium quiet.......bad clams at davios.......matt light threatened tp shoot him one time at bass pro

And the real reason? Bad traffic on rt1

It's the scheme......he's a system qb......he doesn't care anymore.......there are no coordinators......bb doesn't care anymore......bob kraft wants to keep the stadium quiet.......bad clams at davios.......matt light threatened to shoot him one time at bass pro......

And the real reason? Bad traffic on rt1.

Don't forget his obligation to fulfill the Randy Ratio...

Though I suspect that's not as far from the truth as it seems.

And as SWheeler noted, a dependable running game - incl. a legitimate, asskicking FB - would help a lot, too.

The stats here are damning.

However, it isn't all on Brady. The entire team plays significantly better in the 1st half (best 1st half team in 2009 in the entire league) than it does in the 2nd half.

The stats here are damning.

However, it isn't all on Brady. The entire team plays significantly better in the 1st half (best 1st half team in 2009 in the entire league) than it does in the 2nd half.

It's on the coaching staff{Bill+Bill+Bill}if they/he can't get the team to play for a full 60 minutes there isn't much hope.

It's on the coaching staff{Bill+Bill+Bill}if they/he can't get the team to play for a full 60 minutes there isn't much hope.

The coaching staff goes into games with strong game plans, as evidence by their strong 1st half performances and league-best 1st half points differential in 2009.

However during the game, drive after drive, teams are constantly looking at pictures to figure out what the Patriots are doing.

It isn't a 1st half/2nd half problem. We have stats of 1st half or 2nd half or by quarter, to describe using numbers what is really going on in real time during a game.

Isn't this where we're supposed to blame Bill O'Brien? BB scripts much of the first quarter and third quarter and then turns his attention to maintaining a lead on defense, while the opponent's defense adjusts and Bill fails to deal with it.

Meh. I'm going with a lack of trust in the running game.

I don't care what anyone says, Tom Brady is a good footballer and a handsome man. Those of you calling him bad and ugly may not be correct.

I doubt effort is a problem. But execution clearly is.

The good new is that we're only a couple of days away from finding out just how much of a trend this really is in 2010. Last year at Miami, Brady had a great 1st half and an awful 2nd, especially the 4th quarter:

1st half: 13-14, 196 yds, 1 TD
3rd Q: 3-6, 115 yds, 1 TD (an 80 yarder to Aiken on a coverage breakdown)
4th Q: 3-9, 41 yds 2 INTs (the one on the endzone to Moss was possible the most damaging INT of the year).

In fact, the long 80 yarder to Aiken came on the first series of the 2nd half. After that, Brady had 6 chances and turned them into 2 INTs and 3 3 & outs.

3rd Quarter:
1: 3 & out. Brady 0-2.
2: Picked up one 1st down. Another one taken away on a penalty. Brady 2-3, 34 yds.

4th Quarter Starts
3: Drive all the way to the 5. INT in endzone. Brady 2-3, INT, 30 yds.
4: 3 & out. Brady 0-1.
5: 3 & out. Brady 0-2.
6: Last change to get FG. Brady 1-3, INT, 11 yds.

Just a thought. But Brady was playing withsome difficult injuries last year. Could it be that as the game wore on he was feeling it more.

The Problem with any stat is it doesnt explain everything. The only way to make a determination about Brady is watch every QB play in every game see for yourself what the Problem is.

However... with that said. He needs to do a better Job. I fully expected the defense to have a tough go... But the offense looked pretty bad against the Jets.

Monday night is the real test. I really feel that this game with determine how our season unfolds.. ON THE ROAD!, MONDAY NIGHT!, DIVISIONAL GAME!, BEFORE A BYE!,.... this game should mean a lot!

Isn't this where we're supposed to blame Bill O'Brien? BB scripts much of the first quarter and third quarter and then turns his attention to maintaining a lead on defense, while the opponent's defense adjusts and Bill fails to deal with it.

Meh. I'm going with a lack of trust in the running game.

There isn't enough time for Bill Belichick during the game, or during halftime, to make a good investigation into what the opponent is doing and to make proper adjustments. He is managing the entire game, he doesn't have free time to ignore the game.
However, based on the strong 1st half numbers of this team, it's clear they go in with good game plans.

Here's a suggestion - why doesn't Bill O'Brien (if he is the one at fault) hold back half the initial offensive game plan for the 2nd half? If Belichick thinks O'Brien is the weak link, then maybe it's not such a good idea to show all your cards in the 1st quarter. Might want to hold back a few keys or big plays for the 2nd half.

2009 is done with. We can't really point to a year where Brady had three broken ribs, a shoulder injury since preseason and recovering from a devestating knee injury as 'typical clutch Brady'...

What we know this year is that Brady maybe focused too much on Moss in the Jets game, and seemed to learn from the experience in the Bills game.

The rest of this is hypothetical at this point because we don't really know how 2010 turns out...

I will say that ever since the Miami game in 2007 I have been worried that Brady would become a worse QB because of how great Moss is, and Welker. And it did seem for a while that this came true, with Brady developing a bit of tunnel vision. I doubt that will happen this year because if it does we will lose games. He has way too many targets to zone in on Moss like he did against the Jets.

What we know this year is that Brady maybe focused too much on Moss in the Jets game, and seemed to learn from the experience in the Bills game.

The rest of this is hypothetical at this point because we don't really know how 2010 turns out...

Actually, this has been discussed plenty, but Brady was not just "focused too much on Moss". It was that PLUS he was utterly inaccurate in his passing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes