PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Worst 4th-quarter QB (on the road) in NFL since '09 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont count this past jets game. Tom's ego clearly got in the way of that win. he had guys open a bunch of times for huge gains. TB is going to have to put his hatred a side and get his head cleared when he plays them again and just take what they give him.

They may not win Monday night against the Dolphins, but I expect the offense to start getting better (and that includes the 2nd half). In the past, the team may have been outcoached with adjustments :bricks: and part of it was the team having fewer dimensions (Passing really with ok/decent running)

This year, I'd say the receivers have improved (we have more than Moss/Welker), we actually have a new wrinkle with TE play and I dare say that our running has improved. Maybe not because of running talent, but the O-line certainly seems to be a bit more physical and creating some lanes.

Receivers, we know what we have in Moss and Welker. And Welker may not be 100%, but he's much further along than I would have dreamed possible. Edleman will certainly get some solid reps and Tate will offer some options and appears to be getting along with Brady (still some miscues, but they'll get ironed out eventually).

It may not the 2007 offense, but we have some good pieces and having TE's may make it much more unpredicatable.

i would agree with that...last yr if moss or welker wernt open, we were pretty much screwed on offense, we had nothing else, including no running game

now however i am in a similar position as you, there is no way the 2nd half woes continue, b/c once u figure out how to cover wes and moss at halftime, well be ABLE to adjust and get others open

last year wasnt about us NOT adjusting, it was about us not having any other pieces to ADJUST with....not so much this year

it may take the team some weeks to realize this, (as well as teh OC), but when they will the 2nd half O will mirror the 1st half O

and last yr if the 2nd half O was as good as the 1st half O, we would have been close to the offense point record set in 07

So it is acceptable for him to look 100% in half one, then use injuries as an excuse when he throws like crap half 2? I just can't buy excuses, he looks as good as anyone when he tries, he is just way too passive since the injury. (excluding a few games before they are brought up)

yeah..so what do we do now if he is passive ? we signed him to an extension too..

i would agree with that...last yr if moss or welker wernt open, we were pretty much screwed on offense, we had nothing else, including no running game

now however i am in a similar position as you, there is no way the 2nd half woes continue, b/c once u figure out how to cover wes and moss at halftime, well be ABLE to adjust and get others open

last year wasnt about us NOT adjusting, it was about us not having any other pieces to ADJUST with....not so much this year

it may take the team some weeks to realize this, (as well as teh OC), but when they will the 2nd half O will mirror the 1st half O

and last yr if the 2nd half O was as good as the 1st half O, we would have been close to the offense point record set in 07

I hope you are correct.

What was so fustrating about week two was the Jets were in zone the second half.

Does anyone ever remember TFB not completely shredding any zone anywhere?

As has been mentioned, we are talking about an incredibly small sample size of cherry picked quarters. The stats are what they are but they aren't indicative of the teams problems last year. The problem was a defense that couldn't make a stop and an overall offense that couldn't convert crucial third downs to chew clock. People have been saying that it was force the ball to Moss or force the ball to Welker, but it wasn't even really that. In those fourth quarters, many of them they were just trying to hold onto the lead. As such they were just trying to make 1st downs, which means force it to Welker or Faulk. They were way to predictable in the fourth quarter and it killed them.

Have their problems been solved? It would seem so but still too early to tell. But people that think Brady is the problem because of this made up stat are crazy.

I started listening to Fleger and Mazz and they started to talk about this. Breer was also on and was trying to take some credit as having asked something similar to Belichick. They were all giddy over it. The buzzards are circling and they wonder why they are so hated. There are enough real problems on this team without having to fabricate others.

And they gave this stiff and big contract after that performance?:rolleyes:

I dont count this past jets game. Tom's ego clearly got in the way of that win. he had guys open a bunch of times for huge gains. TB is going to have to put his hatred a side and get his head cleared when he plays them again and just take what they give him.

I agree but I just don't like the excuses, if we have to go in a hostile environment we should still put on a show. Wasn't it the year we won that we went in to face the 15-1 Steelers at Heinz? Brady is a great road QB but has slipped as of late, and it is definitely a sign of selfishness.

yeah..so what do we do now if he is passive ? we signed him to an extension too..

I question if the extension and injury play a part in this. Hopefully not, we just hope that he and the coaches get it together, the team is too talented to be this bad in the 4th, they turn into the Lions over a short halftime break.

Anybody with a set of eyes could tell that Brady clearly wasn't Brady, especially in the second half, last season. Anybody with a set of eyes could tell he was clearly different in the second half of the Jets game. His execution was just off. Last year, though, there were clear deficiencies in the passing game. This season, there have been some very clear upgrades which should provide more alleys for Brady to throw to in crunch time. So, with that in mind, let's hope that improves or else it could be a long season for the Pats.

Re: Worst 4th-quarter QB in NFL since '09 ...

Pretty hard to deny these stats. Brady is definitely not like he used to be in the 4th quarter. Some people may use the excuse that he wasnt 100% last year, which may be true, but this is a new season and a 100% Brady. The first 3 games, the Bengals and Bills Brady wasnt really needed in the 4th. The Jets game was a perfect example of Brady's and the Pats as a whole's recent struggles. Bad 2nd halfs on the road, bad 4th quarters by Brady. With the schedule getting tougher and tougher the next few weeks these two areas need to improve dramatically for the Pats to even think about winning the division and making the playoffs.

This started after he injured his knee, so it is related to that. Mental blocks resulting from serious injuries show up in strange ways sometimes. For Brady, it is the pressure of protecting a lead in the 2nd half.

I question if the extension and injury play a part in this. Hopefully not, we just hope that he and the coaches get it together, the team is too talented to be this bad in the 4th, they turn into the Lions over a short halftime break.

so you are saying its possible because of the injury and extension he becomes passive in the 4th quarter or doesnt care as before or something like that ?

so you are saying its possible because of the injury and extension he becomes passive in the 4th quarter or doesnt care as before or something like that ?

Could be, I have no clue how involved he is in the offense, maybe the OC is calling passive plays, but I hate to say a guy like Brady isn't giving his all.

Could be, I have no clue how involved he is in the offense, maybe the OC is calling passive plays, but I hate to say a guy like Brady isn't giving his all.

The team's second half woes last year were the result of a combination of things. Lack of effort on the part of Brady is not something I'd put on the list.

Last edited:
The team's second half woes last year were the result of a combination of things. Lack of effort on the part of Brady is not something I'd put on the list.

Yeah, I agree (imagine that!); you beat me to it. While Brady's 4th quarter numbers are indeed alarming, it's not just him. While his productivity may be off, I don't see how one can conclude as others have suggested that it is due to lack of effort on his part. The entire team has not looked good in the last eight 'true' road games.

Not to make excuses, but I think the numbers do look a bit worse based on the opponents; no Bucs included in those stats, while what is included is games against teams who were playing well on defense at the time (Jets x2, Broncos, Ravens) or good teams overall (Saints, Colts), plus one meaningless game (Houston). That leaves only one other game, Buffalo, whom they led 17-3 early and then seemed to go on cruise control.

Again, not making excuses, but it is a partial explanation. Regardless, the second half and more specifically 4th quarter productivity has already been well documented here; it does need to improve in all phases of the game.

Last edited:
As has been mentioned, we are talking about an incredibly small sample size of cherry picked quarters. The stats are what they are but they aren't indicative of the teams problems last year. The problem was a defense that couldn't make a stop and an overall offense that couldn't convert crucial third downs to chew clock. People have been saying that it was force the ball to Moss or force the ball to Welker, but it wasn't even really that. In those fourth quarters, many of them they were just trying to hold onto the lead. As such they were just trying to make 1st downs, which means force it to Welker or Faulk. They were way to predictable in the fourth quarter and it killed them.

Have their problems been solved? It would seem so but still too early to tell. But people that think Brady is the problem because of this made up stat are crazy.

I started listening to Fleger and Mazz and they started to talk about this. Breer was also on and was trying to take some credit as having asked something similar to Belichick. They were all giddy over it. The buzzards are circling and they wonder why they are so hated. There are enough real problems on this team without having to fabricate others.

Both Jets game second half- zero points
Denver game second half- zero points
Miami- twice inside the five and zero points
Indy- That's the officials giving them the game.

Hopefully, a more balanced approach on offense will help set the tone for the rest of the year and get them over the hump. The Jets do have a better run defense than Miami.

Also, it's not like they haven't started strong or not had periods of dominance on the road. Inconsistenacy is usually more strategy or focus vs lack of potential or ability.

Pyscho

Any insight on this matter?

WOW.

I kept reading the posts, all the way through to the 4th page...expecting the Punch Line at any minute!!

Never happened.

This reminds me of all the articles I read by the scum who write for The Boston Glob, back in 2001, attempting to assure me that Pedro would "never be the same, again". :rolleyes:

I guess that certain debris missed this simple fact: Brady had a MONSTER INJURY, two years ago.

And in case you've never been blessed with the powers of observation ~ as so many, evidently, have NOT ~ MONSTER INJURIES...take 18 months or so, for the injured party to heal, recover, and take it back through the gears.

And this recovery was, of course, greatly exacerbated ~ and extended ~ by Alfred the HeadStomper, a year ago

Anybody with any sense ~ sadly, that excludes so many who've posted, above ~ realizes that you can pretty much throw out the stats of 2009, a recovery year in which he was also playing hurt.

By Christmas, we should have a pretty good idea about this team...

And simple observation and understanding strongly suggest that, by then, we will be demonstrably heading in the right direction.

Well, if you're going to throw out 2009 because of Tommy's injury, then how do you explain the glittering 2009 stats at home and in the first half? It's not like he stunk it up the whole time and it was clear something was wrong. He was good to great all the time except in the 2nd half and especially the 4th qtr. Now, maybe I'd buy fatigue on his repaired knee building up until it really hurt him, but is that what happened in the Jets game this year too?

Last edited:
Re: Worst 4th-quarter QB in NFL since '09 ...

His hair gets sweaty and weighs him down. With the high humidity in Miami, it will look like he's wearing cement shoes. Maybe Giselle will see a cute hairstyle in GQ and agree to a new look.

He should shave his head before the game then. Though at night it might still be OK.

Is Tom Brady, according to stats from ESPN.com.

Good statistical analysis, and totally puzzling for a guy who has been so clutch.

Defense also gets called out for giving up big quarters on the road, and Reiss points out the stark difference between home and road. (I wouldn't mind seeing when those big quarters have been happening; I'm thinking second half).

Breaking down the Patriots' road woes - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Devastating. Brady should use this as a motivator and up his game in the 4th.

Well, if you're going to throw out 2009 because of Tommy's injury, then how do you explain the glittering 2009 stats at home and in the first half? It's not like he stunk it up the whole time and it was clear something was wrong. He was good to great all the time except in the 2nd half and especially the 4th qtr. Now, maybe I'd buy fatigue on his repaired knee building up until it really hurt him, but is that what happened in the Jets game this year too?

Fair question, sir.

My answer is this: Twist and splice the stats as you wish, but FULL Recovery From Injury ~ and I mean: Full Fledged Rock + Roll No Hesitation + No Doubt Recovery ~ takes a LONG TIME...

FURTHERMORE...

I think he IS 100% BACK...as they say...

But there are a LOT of Parts to...Assimilate. :D

The InterPlay between O + D is well known, yet VASTLY underrated.

Give this whole team ~ where the D's components are LUDICROUSLY raw ~ 2 or 3 months to Integrate and Gel ~ to Assimilate ~ and those "4th Quarter" stats...

...will VAPORIZE.

MARK me.

Resistance is Futile. :D

7of9.jpg

You WILL be...Assimilated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes