PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Worst 4th-quarter QB (on the road) in NFL since '09 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Rico

Pro Bowl Player
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Is Tom Brady, according to stats from ESPN.com.

... Not rookies Mark Sanchez (29.7) or Matthew Stafford (33.4). Not even quarterbacks who lost their jobs, such as Derek Anderson (33.4) and Kerry Collins (42.2). No one has been worse than Brady (29.3).

Good statistical analysis, and totally puzzling for a guy who has been so clutch.

Defense also gets called out for giving up big quarters on the road, and Reiss points out the stark difference between home and road. (I wouldn't mind seeing when those big quarters have been happening; I'm thinking second half).

Breaking down the Patriots' road woes - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Last edited:
Re: Worst 4th-quarter QB in NFL since '09 ...

Ouch. I know that there are other factors at play here, but even casting those aside, Brady needs to start playing better at the end of games... and this shows it.

Put Hoyer in for the fourth quarter!

:rocker:

I kid, I kid.

For the record though, this is just road games, not home ones.

Last edited:

Captain Clutch has been missing for a while now.......................

Last edited:

OUCH .... say it ain't so :eek:

His hair gets sweaty and weighs him down. With the high humidity in Miami, it will look like he's wearing cement shoes. Maybe Giselle will see a cute hairstyle in GQ and agree to a new look.

Is Tom Brady, according to stats from ESPN.com.

Good statistical analysis, and totally puzzling for a guy who has been so clutch.

Defense also gets called out for giving up big quarters on the road, and Reiss points out the stark difference between home and road. (I wouldn't mind seeing when those big quarters have been happening; I'm thinking second half).

Breaking down the Patriots' road woes - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Cue the "And people say his lack of practicing with his teammates makes no difference", in three, two, one...............................

I posit that Brady's poor fourth quarter play rests squarely on the fact that he dislikes his coach.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::singing:

I need to think about this and digest it before reacting. Thanks. One thing is we can't blame it on age; Joe put up his two greatest seasons at 33 (Tom's current age) and 34, winning SB's in each.

Pretty hard to deny these stats. Brady is definitely not like he used to be in the 4th quarter. Some people may use the excuse that he wasnt 100% last year, which may be true, but this is a new season and a 100% Brady. The first 3 games, the Bengals and Bills Brady wasnt really needed in the 4th. The Jets game was a perfect example of Brady's and the Pats as a whole's recent struggles. Bad 2nd halfs on the road, bad 4th quarters by Brady. With the schedule getting tougher and tougher the next few weeks these two areas need to improve dramatically for the Pats to even think about winning the division and making the playoffs.

For the record though, this is just road games, not home ones.

Good call; fixed thread title for clarity.

Don't get me wrong....this doesn't paint a good picture. But it's also a tiny sample size. We're talking 8 cherry-picked quarters (notice last years Tampa game doesn't count). Last year's non-division road slate was coincidently filled with good teams. If you throw in the fact that the Pats were forced into a one-dimensional offense (probably in a couple games, though I don't remember for sure), and that will hurt the numbers more...especially last year when the Patriots' playbook in that situation consisted of three plays:

1) Force the ball to Welker
2) Force the ball to Moss
3) Dump the ball off to Faulk

Maybe because he stops trying, he just dumps it off or throws it over Randy's head. If the Dolphins are scoring TD after TD on our defense second half I will pay close attention to if he spreads the ball out, it really takes the fun out of the game when he loses steam like that.

since 2009 ...thats 1 season , 8 road games and 1 this year...not like last 5 yrs.....he played like crap in the 4th quarter in road games ,no question but its not a big sample to generalize esp for someone coming of an ACL and more importantly out of football for 1 full yr .

Don't get me wrong....this doesn't paint a good picture. But it's also a tiny sample size. We're talking 8 cherry-picked quarters (notice last years Tampa game doesn't count). Last year's non-division road slate was coincidently filled with good teams. If you throw in the fact that the Pats were forced into a one-dimensional offense (probably in a couple games, though I don't remember for sure), and that will hurt the numbers more...especially last year when the Patriots' playbook in that situation consisted of three plays:

1) Force the ball to Welker
2) Force the ball to Moss
3) Dump the ball off to Faulk

I'm not sure they were cherry-picked as much as they were in essentially an unbroken stretch. (The Tampa game is often excluded from these discussions because, while technically away, it was a neutral site that heavily favored NE).

Good points by folks mentioning the quality of competition, though that has not historically made a difference with TFB.

The Pats have shown signs of a more diverse offense this year, so I'm hopeful that will help correct this trend. Monday night would definitely be a good place to start.

since 2009 ...thats 1 season , 8 road games and 1 this year...not like last 5 yrs.....he played like crap in the 4th quarter in road games ,no question but its not a big sample to generalize esp for someone coming of an ACL and more importantly out of football for 1 full yr .

The problem is that the Jets game a few weeks ago continued the trend. I think a lot of us were shell shocked by the way things went down last year, blowing leads and all, and seeing the trend continue in the one road game so far this year is a little disconcerting.

So it is acceptable for him to look 100% in half one, then use injuries as an excuse when he throws like crap half 2? I just can't buy excuses, he looks as good as anyone when he tries, he is just way too passive since the injury. (excluding a few games before they are brought up)

There were 3 road losses (at Jets 09 & 10, at Saints) that were simply against stingy defenses in hostile environments. Hard for a lot of QB's to work their way back into the game. No worries there.

The other 4 road losses were in tight games that slipped away when the defense gave up a late score. Typically the Pats had the lead for most of the 4th quarter. This could mean that the offense (i.e. Brady) isn't as aggressive on the road. This can be attributed to more crowd noise, defenses applying more pressure, etc. Perhaps he is too reliant on the defense to hold serve.

So it is acceptable for him to look 100% in half one, then use injuries as an excuse when he throws like crap half 2? I just can't buy excuses, he looks as good as anyone when he tries, he is just way too passive since the injury. (excluding a few games before they are brought up)
They may not win Monday night against the Dolphins, but I expect the offense to start getting better (and that includes the 2nd half). In the past, the team may have been outcoached with adjustments :bricks: and part of it was the team having fewer dimensions (Passing really with ok/decent running)

This year, I'd say the receivers have improved (we have more than Moss/Welker), we actually have a new wrinkle with TE play and I dare say that our running has improved. Maybe not because of running talent, but the O-line certainly seems to be a bit more physical and creating some lanes.

Receivers, we know what we have in Moss and Welker. And Welker may not be 100%, but he's much further along than I would have dreamed possible. Edleman will certainly get some solid reps and Tate will offer some options and appears to be getting along with Brady (still some miscues, but they'll get ironed out eventually).

It may not the 2007 offense, but we have some good pieces and having TE's may make it much more unpredicatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News