PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

World Cup Thread.

Damn, I hate the Mexican fans -- ever since their "Osama, Osama" chants in the LA Coliseum a decade ago - - and now their "Puto" chants. Really a bunch of bottomfeeders..
Better be careful or you'll be labeled a bigot with extremist views.

The FIFA sales numbers were from just the US, they reported it on Dale and Holley and the producer checked for just that question. And while the WC probably raised interest I think the real reason is that it appeals to the millions of kids playing youth soccer.
I don't believe for a minute FIFA outsells Madden in the U.S. if you compare apples and apples. If they said it did on Dale and Holley then either they were wrong, or they were just looking at 2014 sales figures, which is hardly a fair comparison since FIFA released a new game in April but we're still waiting for the new Madden. Or they were comparing one generation to the previous generation, which also can hardly be considered fair.

I'll gladly admit I was wrong if someone posts info to the contrary but I just don't buy it.

Better be careful or you'll be labeled a bigot with extremist views.

What part of keep your politics out of this forum don't you understand?

I think Americans living in America should not root against America.

How pathetic that such a viewpoint has been called "extremist" and I have been called a "bigot" for that belief.

You're not worth my time....

Last edited:
So Americans can't root against American teams. Or else what?

Will there be an instruction manual regarding what else is permissible? Italian or French food and wine? Foreign films?

Hmm... this started out as a nasty little thread. Then it became a nice little thread as people started to share their thoughts and enthusiasms for the WC. Now it's becoming a nasty little thread again.

OK, so some people (well, one person) thinks that you're not patriotic if you don't root for your own country in a sports game against a country to which you have family ties, and others think that's stupid. Can we leave it now and get back to talking about the World Cup?

The Mexico-Croatia game this afternoon -- or what I saw of it -- was exciting enough. I didn't like the way that the Mexicans were niggling and pushing the referee the whole game. I'd have told them to shut the f*ck up and booked the next one who told me how to referee. But they won it fair and square and no one will look forward to playing them. Their goalie is definitely in my team of the tournament.

As for their fans' chants, I've heard it said that "puto" is no worse than "Yankees suck". But (apart from the fact that many Americans seem to have forgotten the origins of "suck") I have a problem with that too. Perhaps there isn't a decent Mexican song for them all to sing along to ...

P.S. The Croatian red card was a text-book example of a dirty, dirty foul. Good for the referee!

Will there be an instruction manual regarding what else is permissible? Italian or French food and wine? Foreign films?

Freedom fries, baby, freedom fries ... ;)

2 things I can't stand: people who're intolerant of other people's cultures,

and the DUTCH!

;)

Legally Americans can cheer against the US, burn the Ameican flag, etc - it's their right. However, people also have the right to state their belief that they don't appreciate those Americans who don't show allegiance to the US.

I don't know if you can sit him, but I agree with you that Bradley has been the biggest disappointment on team USA thus far, by far.

No ****ing effort. Just lolly gagging.

Gc3YtMf.gif

It's plenty exciting if you have a team to root for. There's nothing interently interesting about a 2 yard run or an incomplete slant. I've been 100% locked on the U.S.'s two games; but make that between two MLS teams and I wouldn't even have turned them on.

You need to watch the EPL or Champions League games. The level of skill and competition is similar to the World Cup, even higher depending on which teams are playing.

Legally Americans can cheer against the US, burn the Ameican flag, etc - it's their right. However, people also have the right to state their belief that they don't appreciate those Americans who don't show allegiance to the US.

Your comparing someone burning the American flag, to someone not being completely behind the US in a ****ing soccer game? Pathetic .....

I was told to go back to Portugal. Even though I was born here by an ignorant piece of ****. When clearly I've stated many times in this thread I was hoping both Portugal and the US both move on. In reality I probably support the US soccer team more then both of you smucks, considering you only follow soccer once every 4 years....

But hey, why don't one day you head to the North End and tell Italians they shouldn't be so proud of their heritage....because they're in America. Also do that during the St.Patty's day parade next year, and ***** that Americans get piss drunk during Cinco de Mayo...

Italy - Uruguay has the potential to be the best game of the group stage. Really looking forward for that one

yeah I would like to watch that game, unfortunately I can't.

Unbelievable in a group with 3 World Champions, Costa Rica outplayed the 2 better teams and doesn't matter how they go against England they're already on the playoffs. What a nice surprise.

The FIFA sales numbers were from just the US, they reported it on Dale and Holley and the producer checked for just that question. And while the WC probably raised interest I think the real reason is that it appeals to the millions of kids playing youth soccer.

Not saying you or they are liars, but do you know where they pulled those numbers from? I've spent the last 10 minutes Googling the sales on last year's editions of both FIFA and Madden and I can't seem to confirm that. As a matter of fact, most of the articles that I could find are contradicting themselves.

Not saying you or they are liars, but do you know where they pulled those numbers from? I've spent the last 10 minutes Googling the sales on last year's editions of both FIFA and Madden and I can't seem to confirm that. As a matter of fact, most of the articles that I could find are contradicting themselves.
The numbers being reported are just wrong. I've posted the numbers below.

Keep in mind I'm doing Fifa 14 VS Madden NFL 25 for the 4 main systems now (PS3, PS4, XBOX 360, XBOX One). The numbers are for North American sales only. Numbers are in millions.

Code:
           Fifa 14                         Madden NFL 25
PS3        0.62                               1.37
PS4        0.40                               0.54
X360       0.77                               1.79
XBO        0.29                               0.50

Total     2.08                               4.20

Data was pulled from vgchartz.com.

yeah I would like to watch that game, unfortunately I can't.

Unbelievable in a group with 3 World Champions, Costa Rica outplayed the 2 better teams and doesn't matter how they go against England they're already on the playoffs. What a nice surprise.

Minus Honduras, the Concacaf teams have done a great job this world cup..

I was really surprised how Mexico worked Croatia yesterday.

The numbers being reported are just wrong. I've posted the numbers below.

Keep in mind I'm doing Fifa 14 VS Madden NFL 25 for the 4 main systems now (PS3, PS4, XBOX 360, XBOX One). The numbers are for North American sales only. Numbers are in millions.

Code:
           Fifa 14                         Madden NFL 25
PS3        0.62                               1.37
PS4        0.40                               0.54
X360       0.77                               1.79
XBO        0.29                               0.50

Total     2.08                               4.20

Data was pulled from vgchartz.com.

Thanks for this. I was at work and didn't want to devote too much time searching for that.

Thanks for this. I was at work and didn't want to devote too much time searching for that.

I was in my car when I heard it and they asked their producer to check the numbers and he came back a few minutes later with the response I gave you. At this point I am limited in researching anything because one of my dogs dumped my laptop off if my desk and sent it to its grave. So everything I am doing is off of my phone and it kind of sucks. I may actually wait until fall to buy a new one because I am much more productive when I am not on it and I have a ton of work to get done on my house this summer.

I was in my car when I heard it and they asked their producer to check the numbers and he came back a few minutes later with the response I gave you. At this point I am limited in researching anything because one of my dogs dumped my laptop off if my desk and sent it to its grave. So everything I am doing is off of my phone and it kind of sucks. I may actually wait until fall to buy a new one because I am much more productive when I am not on it and I have a ton of work to get done on my house this summer.

I hear ya. The last house I rented I had to put down a $1,500 security deposit on top of a $400 pet deposit. Within a week after moving in, my dog completely tore chunks out of the carpet in my room and I lost almost every cent of that because I elected not to replace the carpet myself. I never found the chunks of the carpet he tore up, either. That means that he ate it. Wouldn't surprise me as he's a trash compactor.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back