PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

World Cup Thread.

Your parents.

This country is made up of people from all over the world and they have as much right to root for their country of origin as you do the US, telling them to take a hike is a major league douchebag move.
I'll be happy to continue this discussion in the politics forum if you would like, but I will leave this thread for talking about the actual games and sport.

Something tells me you would rather just throw out insults and move on.

It's much different if you grew up in another country and moved. For example,if I moved to japan I will still root for US in everything. So I understand if you were born and raised in Portugal but are now living in the US. However, if you grew up in the US you should probably root for US.

Why? I was born shortly after my parents moved here and grew up here but my allegiance will always be to Ireland and not the US. I am a fan of the US team and I am rooting for them to go as far as they can but if they played Ireland I would root for Ireland. However my great grandfather was a founder of the Gaelic Athletic Association so my identification with the homeland is strong.

Yep, no way it could ever compete with baseball, which is so fast and exciting, or basketball, where they score every time and it resemble the nurf games we played in the living room where we were all playing above the rim.

American sports aren't more exciting they are just more American.
Every single sport is boring to people who don't like that sport, but there is a cultural difference in this country which has led football and baseball to be the top sports with soccer falling way down the list. I can't really say I know why that is, it just is.

I do have to say that the scheduling of the MLS absolutely baffles me. They hold their championship in October/November, which is without a doubt the worst time period imaginable. If the people running that league had half a brain, they would move heaven and earth to shift their championship to August. I don't care if that means the season begins when it is still snowing.

Why? I was born shortly after my parents moved here and grew up here but my allegiance will always be to Ireland and not the US.
Thank you for summing up in one sentence so much of what is wrong in this country. Having a country full of people whose primary allegiances lie elsewhere is not a recipe for a strong, healthy society.

I'll be happy to continue this discussion in the politics forum if you would like, but I will leave this thread for talking about the actual games and sport.

I was happy just talking soccer, you are the one who brought extremist politics into it.

Thank you for summing up in one sentence so much of what is wrong in this country. Having a country full of people whose primary allegiances lie elsewhere is not a recipe for a strong, healthy society.

Take your own advice and take your politics to that forum, it has no place here.

I would not consider myself a big soccer fan by any means but that game yesterday certainly got my heart pounding. When Dempsey scored to take the lead, I threw my arms in in air and yelled ... problem being that I was holding a full glass of wine (cue good natured taunts from PWP and others) the contents of which landed in more or less equal measure on the carpet, the sofa, the lovely Mrs. Zeus and (last but most certainly least) yours truly.

That was a tremendous sporting event!

I love competition and the sense of community it creates for the fans of the sport. You can knock soccer all you like (don't know why you would bother; surely you have better things to do). But there's no denying its near universal worldwide appeal.

From what I've seen, the interest here is growing and will continue to do so. The Seattle MLS team's average home attendance is something like 45,000. My older son watched the US-Ghana game at Grant Park in Chicago with 8000 other people; last night they had to turn people away when the area was filled to capacity. My younger son and his friends are dedicated fans of soccer all over the world year round.

As for telling other people whom to root for ... please. If AzorianPats has rooted for Portugal since age 7, there's no reason for him to ever change. He's a fan and that's all that matters.

This Mexico V Croatia game is a knockout game and it is great. And the Algeria V South Korea game was a blast to watch.

I would not consider myself a big soccer fan by any means but that game yesterday certainly got my heart pounding. When Dempsey scored to take the lead, I threw my arms in in air and yelled ... problem being that I was holding a full glass of wine (cue good natured taunts from PWP and others) the contents of which landed in more or less equal measure on the carpet, the sofa, the lovely Mrs. Zeus and (last but most certainly least) yours truly.

That was a tremendous sporting event!

I love competition and the sense of community it creates for the fans of the sport. You can knock soccer all you like (don't know why you would bother; surely you have better things to do). But there's no denying its near universal worldwide appeal.

From what I've seen, the interest here is growing and will continue to do so. The Seattle MLS team's average home attendance is something like 45,000. My older son watched the US-Ghana game at Grant Park in Chicago with 8000 other people; last night they had to turn people away when the area was filled to capacity. My younger son and his friends are dedicated fans of soccer all over the world year round.

As for telling other people whom to root for ... please. If AzorianPats has rooted for Portugal since age 7, there's no reason for him to ever change. He's a fan and that's all that matters.

I think the fact that the FIFA game is outselling Madden by more than 3-1 bodes really well for the future of soccer in the US.

Last edited:
I think the fact that the FIFA game is outselling Madden by more than 3-1 bodes really eel for the future of soccer in the US.

Keep in mind FIFA is being purchased worldwide while the majority of Madden's sales are more or less coming from the U.S. Anyway, I went to the local Irish pub and watched it yesterday and I think I've found a way where I can finally watch this game. I can't do it at home. I get too bored. But go to a pub with a bunch of fanatics and it's actually entertaining. I did that back in 2010 too just to get into the World Cup. But I'll be one of those people that just quits following it after the U.S. is out. Tim Howard is a beast, by the way, and that was a disappointing finish to an otherwise entertaining game.

I still can't believe PSG are paying £50M for a ball-watching lunatic.

Neymar, ye gads. Fabulous goal.

So, as I was about to say, if David Luiz was an NFL player, he'd be Troy Polamalu. Over-rated but makes some highlight-reel challenges. And errors.

that was a disappointing finish to an otherwise entertaining game.

Well, very disappointing for the U.S., but a sublime exercise of skill. Once Ronaldo gets the ball no blame attaches to any defender. It was curled just above them and round them. The attacker could pick his spot between the defenders and the ball was exactly where he wanted it. Pretty much the perfect goal.

If there is anything to complain about for the U.S. it's that they started the game half asleep. They didn't close anyone down or create any pressure till after that first goal. But after that they had much more of the game, of course. Tremendous credit to the forwards in particular for making those unselfish runs in such overwhelming heat and humidity.

The U.S. is still in a great position -- the Germany game will be a barn-burner.

Lmfao so says the bigot.....

If there is anything to complain about for the U.S. it's that they started the game half asleep. They didn't close anyone down or create any pressure till after that first goal. But after that they had much more of the game, of course.
It was weird, before the goal it looked just like the Ghana game, no posession for us, looked like no chance. As soon as the goal scored that changed completely and we were dominating posession and play. Of course once we took the lead we had almost no posession again. It seems like soccer teams go into a shell more worse than NFL prevent defenses when they have a lead. I get it, but it's frustrating.

Not shocking as it is the capital, but in DC things have gotten pretty insane, even since the last World Cup. The only reason I was able to see USA-Ghana at the local bar was because I have friends who got there at 11 am. Come game time the line was well around the block and remained that way into the second half. I haven't really seen any sporting event that compares since I've been here (so, since 2009).

Awful play by Brazil. There isn't a single person capable of transitioning offense and defense. Paulinho is playing so bad, no wonder he was moved to sub in Tottenham's squad. Thankfully, Neymar is playing out of his mind, however it worrysome that he has lunatic tendencies and may counter his attackers. We cannot aford to lose him in the 16.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
Back