Welcome to PatsFans.com

Will the Pats see the same Giants team of week 17?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Rawky77, Jan 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rawky77

Rawky77 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I think not.....in the week 17 contest the Giants had nothing to LOSE and were loose and Eli was a gunslinger.....This time the Giants have a lot on the line and they will play tighter and more conservative, for reference watch the Dallas and Greenbay games.....it will cost them the game and by a lot more then 3 pts.

Also we did not start Blitzing Eli until the 4th quarter and he did not react well we will blitz more often in the Super Bowl and as for Plaxico He will get his plays but he will also be covered a lot better then in the first contest over and under.

So all in all i think we win by at least 2 TDs.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  2. SoonerPatriot

SoonerPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I'm not sure it even matters if we see the same team. We will be a different team, that much is for sure.

- In the Week 17 Kaczur, Neal and Kyle Brady were NOT on the field.

- Brady in a dome is much better than Brady in the elements in NY in Dec. I remember a fair amount of wind that night. No wind next Sunday.
  3. SoonerPatriot

SoonerPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The Patriots can play a lot better, too. And they will. One reason NY was able to pressure Brady so much is the entire right side of the line was, uh, on the bench for the whole game. That's a not so minor detail, certainly far more meaningful than a journeyman DB like Madison's injury

Let's also not forget the Giants KO return for a score. That single play had a huge impact on how the Week 17 game played out. That and the completely BS celebration penalty on Moss after the TD that set up the return.

If it happens again the Giants will be in good shape. My hunch is that it won't.
  4. TommyD4207

TommyD4207 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

You "conveniently" leave out how that game played out.
    The Patriots closed out the game 22-7 after the midway point of the 3rd quarter, the only Giants score being a garbage score with less than 20 seconds left.

The Patriots appeared to toy with the Giants until the halfway part of the 3rd.

You're also leaving out the KO return for a TD after the "celebration" penalty.

Your penalty smack is very weak considering that.
  5. SoonerPatriot

SoonerPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The other problem I have is the Patriots scored 22 unanswered points in that game. You won't hear that from the mediots as we get closer to the game. You also won't hear about the fact Kaczur, Neal and Kyle Brady sat out that game.
  6. TommyD4207

TommyD4207 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

They have to "sell tickets" somehow.
    Plus Vegas gotta get its juice.

Food for thought. The 85 Bears beat the New England Patriots 20-7 in the regular season in a well-contested game. The Super Bowl was a slightly different story.
  7. MightyFooda

MightyFooda Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If they play that wel or better how come the scored 13 more than their average, the Pats just hit for Par. That was the game of their lives, it's laughable to say the play better than that.
  8. Doctor DDS

Doctor DDS Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Obviously both teams can play better. I am actually hoping that both play their best games of the year. If that is the case the Pats should win by around 15 points. I'm amazed at how much hype that Giants are getting after this playoff run. They beat a banged up Tampa Bay team that is not very good. They were significantly outplayed by Dallas most of the game but to their credit they came up big when it mattered and then they clearly outplayed Green Bay. I give them a lot of kudos for that and the Pats certainly need to take them seriously but the contention that I keep hearing that the teams match up well is silly. The Pats avarage margin of victory is double digits. The Giants is 2 points I believe. We killed teams like Dallas and Washington that NY lost to. Look, we all remember the games against the Ravens and the Eagles and realize that we can have problems if we do not play well but for anyone to make this out to be even remotely close to an even match up is just kidding themselves. Can the Giants cause us problems? Absolutely. Should they? No.
  9. fair catch fryar

fair catch fryar Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

It's funny you mention that game because I specifically remember watching and thinking that the score wasn't indicative of the true result. The Pats defense was able to keep McMahon and Payton to 20 points, but that was overshadowed by the juggernaut that was the Bear's defense. Most people never talk about it, but the 85 Pats defense was pretty good in their own right. They were the real reason we went to the Super Bowl that year. I seem to remember that team forcing a lot of crucial turnovers at the right times. No matter what the media says, I see a lot more in common between the 07 Giants to the 85 Pats, than I do with the 01 Pats. IMO, there can never be another team similar to the 01 Pats.
  10. Hammer12

Hammer12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The thing is, when you watch the Pats a lot, you see that even though Brady's stats ended up being good that day, and they did dominate TOP, the offense looked sloppy and terrible. It was very clear that our gimpy O-Line was up against NY's excellent front four and Brady was getting more pressure in the pocket than I had seen him get in a long time. Whether or not the Giants played "the Game of their life" is arguable, just because the Pats' Offensive stats were good doesn't mean it was an optimal game in terms of their ability. They looked sloppy, Brady was rushed, and you may look at that game and think Brady was nearly perfect, but let me tell you, you haven't seen anything yet. If the defense can keep up their red zone coverage the way they have and the OLine protects Brady as well as they are capable of and have consistently done all year, the Giants will REALLY understand why this team is 18-0.
  11. JR4

JR4 In the Starting Line-up PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -2

To me the biggest Advantage for the Giants in that game, which may be
    hard to repeat, is the performance of Eli.

The Int he made came late but the first half he played very well with
    a QB rating of 141.
    Eli's preformamce, a kickoff return for TD by Giants and THREE red zone trips by PATs in first half with no TD made this game close.
    That is where the Giants kept this game close. The first half.
    Also remember the Giants D had a big advantage in this game.
    They knew Brady and Moss were going to try and break records with TDs.
    When you know something like that, it gives you an edge.

Can Giants run game do better? Maybe ... if PATs decide to put more into
    stopping Eli. But then Eli won't do as well. But I doubt Bradshaw will be
    the reason the run game does better.
    Eli did most of his damage on 1st and 2nd dns when PATs were playing run.
    PATs may do something a little different this time.
    The question is can Giants Offense/ST improve in some area without
    dropping off in another area. I really doubt that.

Can Giants Defense do better. Maybe. But this time they won't have the
    edge of knowing what PATs will be trying to do. Also PATs Oline will be
    intact and Maroney is running really well. I think Giants Defense will be hard
    pressed to do better than last time.
    Giants Game Plan last time .. was very good. It is the only chance they
    really have. If they change it and decide to run more for example
    ..... it will be a big mistake .. IMO.

If PATs are up 10 points or more at the half ... game is over. IMO
  12. DonBlackmon55

DonBlackmon55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If this, If that, maybe this, couldve been that, mightve been this, shouldve been theat........

Yea, if I had a couple Billion $ I could buy the Patriots franchise too.

You sound like a complete fool. There are no "IF" scenarios. The game was played, PAtriots dominated the second half and blew the Giants away. The 3 point difference was inconsequential since it was a Garbage time TD.
  13. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +180 / 4 / -5

Actually, the BS "celebration" penalty was called on Maroney for dancing too close to Moss. [I kid you not; nothing Moss did could be considered a violation of the rule.]
  14. glennwetherell

glennwetherell Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think the Giants are lucky to even be here right now. They have not done anything great to get to the SB, as far as I'm concerned Dallas and GB both beat themselves. I can't stand how everybody thinks Eli is so great now. Am I wrong?
  15. DNR

DNR Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The Patriots will be at full strength, well rested and will have no reason to hold back or go "vanilla" on either side of the ball.

They will pull out all the stops on offense and should take a commanding lead early forcing the Giants into relying on Eli.

Then unlike the last game, they'll confuse the sh*t out of the kid with non stop blitzes and disguised coverages that should bring back the "real" Eli. The one that threw 20 interceptions this year.

I'm pretty confident this game will be a blowout by the middle of the 3rd quarter.
  16. BlueMutt

BlueMutt Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What do the G-MEN have to lose? They beat the NFC's #1 seed, a Cowcurs team that has 12 pro-bowlers and the #2 seed the Pack. All away games. One being the third coldest on record. They have no reason to hang their heads for making it to the SB. They have outplayed the expectations of many. They played with a lot of heart and never quit.
  17. primetime

primetime Rookie

Ratings:
    +124 / 19 / -8

#18 Jersey

It may have been questionable on TV, but if you were in the stands you could've seen Webster holding onto Stallworth for the whole play. Even the Giants fans in attendance agreed with the call, so that's a terrible complaint.
  18. Grogan's neck roll

Grogan's neck roll Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The call was phantom only in that the foul was not on Toomer, it was on that fat backup QB of yours, he tripped Samuel as he was trying to get out of the Giant bench, I watched this five times. The official saw Samuel go down and thought it was Toomer that tripped him.

In any event, it was a penalty, the officials have to get those guys out of there and don't like when the bench gets involved, good call.
  19. neuronet

neuronet Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

:rolleyes:
    The Giants won in week 17.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.