PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will the Patriots have moved beyond Mercury's "neigborhood" if they win the SB?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

If the Pats win the Super Bowl will they have surpassed the '72 Dolphins?

• No - A Perfect Season is a Perfect Season - and the Fins did it first!

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Yes - The 19-0 Patriots would have surpassed the 17-0 Fins. Bye bye Mercury!

Votes: 52 92.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
- that the fact that Miami was the first team in the Super Bowl era to have a perfect season

Let's get our "facts" right. They were second, and we'll be third, and who gives a rat's ass about harping and whining over which team was better?

I remember Morris stating that the number next to the 'W' doesn't matter..its the number next to the 'L'. Which is nonsense of course. If sometime in the future there was an eight game season, 2 playoff games and a SB, and someone went 'undefeated', I doubt Morris would be making that same argument.

I remember Morris stating that the number next to the 'W' doesn't matter..its the number next to the 'L'. Which is nonsense of course. If sometime in the future there was an eight game season, 2 playoff games and a SB, and someone went 'undefeated', I doubt Morris would be making that same argument.

The thing is, to me Morris is 100% correct. The goal of any team in any sport is to perform better than their opponent on any given day. That leads to victories, and the ultimate accomplishment is to outplay your opponent in every single game. The Dolphins in 1972 did just that, and that can never be taken away from them, whether the Pats go undefeated or not.

Again, I think you're confusing 'undefeated' with 'best team'. The best teams in the history of the NFL, to most people, are some of the Steelers of the 70's, the '85 Bears, the '89 49ers, and some of the Cowboys teams. People discount the Dolphins because they had a very weak schedule and rarely dominated the way those aforementioned teams did. Does that take anything away from what was a perfect season? Absolutely not, and the best the Patriots can do, when it comes to the perfect season, is to be on the same 'undefeated' level that the 1972 Fins are on.

The thing is, to me Morris is 100% correct. The goal of any team in any sport is to perform better than their opponent on any given day. That leads to victories, and the ultimate accomplishment is to outplay your opponent in every single game. The Dolphins in 1972 did just that, and that can never be taken away from them, whether the Pats go undefeated or not.

Again, I think you're confusing 'undefeated' with 'best team'. The best teams in the history of the NFL, to most people, are some of the Steelers of the 70's, the '85 Bears, the '89 49ers, and some of the Cowboys teams. People discount the Dolphins because they had a very weak schedule and rarely dominated the way those aforementioned teams did. Does that take anything away from what was a perfect season? Absolutely not, and the best the Patriots can do, when it comes to the perfect season, is to be on the same 'undefeated' level that the 1972 Fins are on.

The 72 Miami Dolphins will not be on the same level as this Patriots team (provided the Pats win their next game). Its great that Miami had a perfect season, hoorah. That does not put them at the same level as a team in which plays more games to go undefeated.

this team has already started building their house in the bigger better gated neighborhood up on the hill overlooking the dolphins older house with the broken down cars parked in their driveway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes