PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will BBs philosophy change this year if the team clinches #1 seed this week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Dolphins Game...... Streak Ends?

The win streak is a bit fraudulent considering they lost a playoff game...same way the colts consecutive win streak iss fraudulent
because if you win 22 games in a row you should have a super bowl to show for it. Pats really own that one.

I always thought that too but since they only count "regular season" games, its going to count for the last game?

Its the same with that record Brady just broke for the most passes without an INT, that stat is very fluky. He should have been picked off atleast twice in the Bears game and Greenbay game.

Its the same with that record Brady just broke for the most passes without an INT, that stat is very fluky. He should have been picked off atleast twice in the Bears game and Greenbay game.

Not that I really care about the record or anything, but every type of streak is filled with flukes or lucky bounces or breaks. You have to be lucky to be good, but you have to be good to be lucky as well. Those breaks mean nothing if Brady has a penchant for forcing throws or throws up a few more ducks because he's under pressure. The streak comes from his decision-making, his pocket awareness, and his willingness to take what is there and not force the issue. A few lucky breaks went his way, but the overall traits needed to attain the record are a part of who he is.

Dolphins are a good road team. With a win next Sunday they will be 7-1 away and 1-7 at home.

I think he'll do what he's always done (except in 07 when they were going for 16--0). Assuming they are healthy and not in a condition where they could benefit from two full weeks of rest, I think he'll play most of the starters for at least the first half and maybe a bit into the second half before he sits them. I don't think he'll change things just to keep the home streak alive. His eyes will be on the Playoffs and a trip to Dallas.

So I was thinking. I know we have like a 27 or 28 game win streak at home. Does BB sit the starters and maybe put that awesome streak in jeporday or does he start Brady and Co. to keep it alive?

The way Miami has been playing, I honestly think Hoyer and the boys could keep the streak alive but I have a feeling BB could care less about that and is more concerned with keeping his starters safe. He learned that the hard way last year with Welker.

Thoughts?

That is Brady's regular season streak. Not the Patriots, they are at 16 straight home wins. Lost to Pittsburgh on 11/30/08

The only reason I liked this streak Is it took away records for Favre. Other than that, it's very meh. I look at it like our consecutive wins vs the Colts. We won the Superbowl with it, the Colts had playoff losses. Similarly we got blown the **** out by Baltimore last year, and kept this record. So outside of pissing off Favre, I could care less.

who cares about the streak now..we got the #1 seed! :rocker:

I would play the starters for the first quarter, at the most, two quarters. However, you've current injuries that might dictate Belichick's decision either way.

Personally, I don't view the last regular season game as meaningless. There's always a reason to play a game. Because it'll be several days before Brady and company play again before their first playoff opponent.

It was said on WEEI yesterday that another good reason to take a business as usual approach (playing the starters) is to work on plays that you haven't already employed. Also, there was the opinion (I concur) that you can't look at it as not wanting to get your starters hurt. You can't predict when injuries will occur.

My reason for playing the starters one or two quarters has more to do with getting reserve players like Fred Taylor, Tate, Edelman, Price and Hoyer some playing time before the break.

Don't rest them, don't kill momentum.

Streaks, Shmeaks. I think we all learned about the importance and significance of "streaks" from '07. Hopefully, the loss to Baltimore last year still rings for the players that were on this team. In BB I trust.

This is a streak meaningful only to those that throw up banners like these:

_58affeeaa013e0d68649d6dc22cf02c2f73986a061.jpg

Last edited:

The only streak I'm concerned about is the 19-20 days we have between now and the next meaningful game of football the Patriots will play.

Remember when the Colts had #1 wrapped up with 2 games to go and rested their starters and then came out rusty and terrible against the Steelers?

The risk of injury is very small to the risk of players falling out of football shape.

We play this game and we play to win it

As many others have suggested, BB will do what he thinks is in the best interest of the team. Now I may be wrong in my assumption but I think he will play the starters as usual into the 4th. If the game is wrapped up by then, in one way or another, then you see the backups coming in for the starters.

The only guys that I don't see playing, which would normally play, are the ones that could use the extra rest to help heal some of their injuries. Therefore I see Wright, Pryor, and Connoly sitting out this one.

The win streak is a bit fraudulent considering they lost a playoff game...same way the colts consecutive win streak iss fraudulent
because if you win 22 games in a row you should have a super bowl to show for it. Pats really own that one.

A regular season win streak is not fraudulent because of a playoff game. :bricks:

What he said. You could make the argument that the MOST meaningful home game from September 2008-present... the Pats lost.

Last edited:

Bill will not rest the starters unless it is a complete blowout, I mean look at last year we could of had Wes but Bill wanted them to play in a meaningless game and Wes blew his knee

I'd rest Wilfork. He, like Brady, is an injury we cannot afford. However, as history has shown over the years, unlike Brady, he's much more likely to GET hurt.

Bill will not rest the starters unless it is a complete blowout, I mean look at last year we could of had Wes but Bill wanted them to play in a meaningless game and Wes blew his knee

:ditto:

yes sir

I would play the starters for the first quarter, at the most, two quarters. However, you've current injuries that might dictate Belichick's decision either way.

Personally, I don't view the last regular season game as meaningless. There's always a reason to play a game. Because it'll be several days before Brady and company play again before their first playoff opponent.

It was said on WEEI yesterday that another good reason to take a business as usual approach (playing the starters) is to work on plays that you haven't already employed. Also, there was the opinion (I concur) that you can't look at it as not wanting to get your starters hurt. You can't predict when injuries will occur.

My reason for playing the starters one or two quarters has more to do with getting reserve players like Fred Taylor, Tate, Edelman, Price and Hoyer some playing time before the break.

I tend to agree with these arguments, mostly.

— Don't let the Brady's streak dictate what you do. The main thing is to get your starters some playing time so they stay sharp then take them out and get some real game time action for as many bench warmers as you can. (And really, at this point in the season, there aren't a lot of those. This team has dug deep into its roster this year.)
— You can't obsess over "someone might get hurt." We all know what happened to Welker last year, but, hey, hundreds of players played that week and didn't get hurt. Letting that guide you too much is like Polian last year saying "Look at what happened to the 2007 Patriots in the Super Bowl after they went for the perfect record." Doesn't make sense. (If anything the Pats actually need Welker, specifically, to play and get those drops behind him.)

It's a meaningless game, but do we really want a loss at home right before we go in to the playoffs? Especially to the Dolphins? I don't think BB wants that at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back