PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wilfork Named in Miami Booster Scandal (Well-Corroborated Allegations)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it was 10 years ago...

I'm surprised there wasn't already a thread about this.

Who cares?

Couldn't care less that an athlete whose parents both died while he was in college (making a zillion bucks for the institution) and who was, therefore, supporting all of his family, took money from a scumbag booster.

Couldn't care less that an athlete whose parents both died while he was in college (making a zillion bucks for the institution) and who was, therefore, supporting all of his family, took money from a scumbag booster.

Unless he plays for the Jets. Then damn them to hell.

Re: Wilfork named in Miami Mess

A student can get paid just not during the school year.

But, a football player can get paid too when school is not in session. They can get paid for work. Just like a musician.

I thought a student athlete was limited to how many hours they can work during the summer? I could be wrong, but I vaguely remember reading an article that outlined the details of the NCAA rules regarding work.

I guess you are not a maimi fan. People are already talking about a death penalty for the school. The bottom line is the actions of the booster, wilfork and the other players could lead to the destruction of a once great athletic program.

I am not surprised and i am a miami hurricanes fan.That program got totally out of control with all this U stuff and didnt go back to playing canes football!!Sucks big time.:mad:

Shouldn't be, or Reggie Bush would've already.

You're really expecting Goodell to think critically? Knowing Goodell, he'll probably place a lifetime ban on Wilfork. :rolleyes:

But you were breaking the rules.

Every school I know of requires that students not work during he school year. But it can be argued that you actually worked for that money, as opposed to being given enticements, so it's a different thing.

I worked through college (school year and during the summer), definitely didn't violate my scholarship. I highly doubt that Gwedd was breaking the rules in the situation that he laid out either.

I worked through college (school year and during the summer), definitely didn't violate my scholarship. I highly doubt that Gwedd was breaking the rules in the situation that he laid out either.

It depends on the scholarship. Financial Aid? No. But there are many different types of scholarships, and many require no outside work. At the grad level, all scholarships require no outside work.

Man, I lived in an apartment right next to three star MSU Basketball players when they went to the National Championship against UNC. The stuff they did or got away with was ridiculous. Not that I ever cared, but it was funny to watch them get out of the elevator with some dude in a pure white suit, bling from his head down, and a pimped out cane.

Ernie Adams was at MSU?

I have long believed that, since the NFL uses the College Football programs as a minor league/development system, that the NFL ought to be paying wages and/or stipends to the players and financially supporting the colleges that have football programs.

It's time to ditch the NCAA completely and be up front about how the system works.

I see it a little differently, but given the graduation rate of many Division I athletes, I don't view players taking money as that egregious. The university uses them to rake in money through sports, but does little to see that they finish a course of study. You do have student-athletes, but many of these guys are more athlete than they are student (even if they lack a shot at the pros). I don't believe Vince earned a degree at Miami as he left after his junior year, so if he got paid I wouldn't fault him for that.

As a Miami alum, this just breaks my heart.

But you were breaking the rules.

Every school I know of requires that students not work during he school year. But it can be argued that you actually worked for that money, as opposed to being given enticements, so it's a different thing.

When did schools start forbidding students to work?????????

Love Big Vince. The NCAA is a travesty at this point. They need to start paying these kids as they are semi-pros, not college students.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents