PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wilfork is still the same Big Vince

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I have read a number of articles and posts suggesting that Wilfork has played poorly this season, and I personally don’t agree with that suggestion. He may not have been a dominate force in weeks 1 or 2 but he certainly was not a shell of his former self as some have suggested.

I do believe some have mistaken a role change for diminished play, over the past two seasons we’ve seen Wilfork in role that allows him to make more impactful plays to the eye, the reason is where he was lining up. In 2011 and 2012 Wilfork spent the majority of his snaps in a either a 5 technique in a 34 scheme or a 3 technique in a 43 front, Kyle Love was the primary NT throughout 2011 and to start 2012, this season Tommy Kelly is assuming more of the flex role and playing 5 technique at LDE in a 34 front and 3 technique at DT in a 43 front.

We have also been spending a lot of time in the 34 specifically in early down situations which is putting Wilfork at the zero technique a role he has not been playing a lot of over the prior 2 season and if you remember Wilfork shed a significant amount of the weight he used to carry when playing NT primarily prior to the switch to the 43/34 hybrid front. In addition to the weight loss Wilfork when at NT is playing with a RDE in Jones who is significantly undersized for a 5 technique 34 DE, leaving Wilfork to contend with sometimes as many as 3 linemen (OC, LG and RG).

When I saw him after the Thursday night game, he looked much bigger than last year. I think he lost a lot of weight last year. It looks like he gained it back and then some.

He looks lighter and not quite as good IMO
Really? I thought he looked significantly heavier this season in comparison to last season.

He's been pushed around by the likes of Vladimir DuCasse. Whether that's injury/illness related is the unknown at this point. But, since the AFCCG, where he again got pushed around and stonewalled -- this time by Kelechi Osemele, he hasn't had a really good Wilfork-type game in my eyes.

He doesn't seem to be as dominate as his old self, but it is only week 3. I'll wait and see if he's really in a slump or something in the rest of the season.

He looks lighter and not quite as good IMO

Really? He looks like he can barely fit his gut underneath his jersey this year. He slimmed down last season.

I think he has been inconsistent this year. Sometimes dominant. Sometimes getting pushed around by lesser o-linemen.

I think that Wilfork has gained weight.

Wilfork does not like the hurry or operating on 4 day's rest.

This year the line play has changed up a bit, emphasizing penetration. Also, the hybrid defenses have Wilfork basically on at least a double team each play.

Having Vellano is important to the continuing success of Wilfork and Kelly. They need occasional rest.

I think that Wilfork is still one of the very best NT's in the game.

I'm not sure if he gained or lost weight this season but one thing i apparent. He is getting manhandled by O linemen 1-on-1 on lots of plays. He used to dominate in these kinds of situations. I have never seen this before. Something is going on with Big Vince

The above 8 posts perfectly illustrate why eye-witness testimony is unreliable.

He looks like a guy that's playing through an injury to me. It would especially make sense since he was getting stretched out and exclusively worked on prior to the Preseason Week 3 game.

Now that we play a lot of 4-3 and we have Tommy Kelly next to him, I wouldn't mind seeing Wilfork slim (lol) down to 310 pounds or so. He just doesn't need to be 330+ anymore. We've got huge LBs behind him and a hulking DT next to him. He's incredibly athletic for his size. I'd like to see him win the 2-on-1s by blowing through the OL as opposed to manhandling them.

I have read a number of articles and posts suggesting that Wilfork has played poorly this season, and I personally don’t agree with that suggestion. He may not have been a dominate force in weeks 1 or 2 but he certainly was not a shell of his former self as some have suggested.

I do believe some have mistaken a role change for diminished play, over the past two seasons we’ve seen Wilfork in role that allows him to make more impactful plays to the eye, the reason is where he was lining up. In 2011 and 2012 Wilfork spent the majority of his snaps in a either a 5 technique in a 34 scheme or a 3 technique in a 43 front, Kyle Love was the primary NT throughout 2011 and to start 2012, this season Tommy Kelly is assuming more of the flex role and playing 5 technique at LDE in a 34 front and 3 technique at DT in a 43 front.

We have also been spending a lot of time in the 34 specifically in early down situations which is putting Wilfork at the zero technique a role he has not been playing a lot of over the prior 2 season and if you remember Wilfork shed a significant amount of the weight he used to carry when playing NT primarily prior to the switch to the 43/34 hybrid front. In addition to the weight loss Wilfork when at NT is playing with a RDE in Jones who is significantly undersized for a 5 technique 34 DE, leaving Wilfork to contend with sometimes as many as 3 linemen (OC, LG and RG).
Your new here, every year there are a group of posters that just pile on a player because they think a player didn't perform well in a particular game. A few years ago i had compiled a list of players such as .....TBrady, Edelman after a poor run back of a punt, Gronk (after he fumble a couple of times in a game against cleveland, posters wanted him cut that day) Ninkovich after a game in miami (2010 i think i think) and missed a tackle on a running back. That was particularly nasty. Those are just a few names on a long and distinguished list. If i was on the team i'd never visit this site.

performance aside - anyone who thinks Wilfork is lighter than last year is out of their mind...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST