PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wildcat formations for the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't there one or two plays last year when we tried our own mediocre version of the Wildcat? If we had the luxury of picking Pat White, it makes sense to try it out a little more, but not now.

IMHO Brady and Welker can just keep running the option (routes, that is). Our offense is already trickier than the Wildcat ever was. I mean, no team has really figured out how to shut us down. Am I right? Why take a step back and waste practice time?

the pats dont need the wildcat that the fins run the pats have brady moss and welker when thay set the NFL record for points they did not run the wildcat they played back yerd football get in the shotgun and throw to the open guy thay dont need the wildcat the fins will stop runing to next yer when every team shuts it down

Wasn't there one or two plays last year when we tried our own mediocre version of the Wildcat? /quote]

I have some vague memories of that ...

Wasn't there one or two plays last year when we tried our own mediocre version of the Wildcat? If we had the luxury of picking Pat White, it makes sense to try it out a little more, but not now.

IMHO Brady and Welker can just keep running the option (routes, that is). Our offense is already trickier than the Wildcat ever was. I mean, no team has really figured out how to shut us down. Am I right?

no.

and if you were talking about direct snaps to faulk they have been doing that for quite a long time before everybody started buzzing about the wildcat.

No not the direct snaps... I thought there was literally one or two plays where we ran the Wildcat. And there's a reason why it was only once or twice.

Hmm... guess I'm wrong.

BB DOES like doing weird things (safety on purpose in Denver), Flutie kick, TD for Vinny... he even passed the ball to Brady for a TD in his early years...

But - I don't want to see a wildcat any time soon. A trick play : OK... a trick play that puts TB in jeopardy - no thanks.

he even passed the ball to Brady for a TD in his early years...

That's what made me agree when it was proposed we'd seen the Wildcat.

But come to think of it ... the Wildcat only became popular in the NFL under that name after Brady got injured last season.

Last edited:
First : let's see if the league can stop TFB and RFM. Then, let's keep trying TFB to RFM a few more times. If that's a no-go, let's get Morris to run up the middle for 4 yards and see what's going on with RFM downfield. Lastly, let's get Welker the ball 110+ times and throw it downfield to RFM.

Here's the deal. I work all week... I have a few hours to watch my favorite team... after waiting half a year for football to begin, the reigning MVP going down within 15 minutes. Don't show me the wildcat. Don't talk to me about a Pat White wannabe. Get Brady under center and run the unstoppable offense.

POTW

I agree.

1. Does the idea of a Wildcat for the Pats make any sense, considering that:

A. They don't want Brady to get beat up.
B. Up to a point, Brady can take a hit.
C. Brady is slow.
D. Brady is a big guy who could presumably catch a pass if wholly uncovered.

2. If the Pats run a Wildcat, does it make sense to have anybody except Faulk taking the snap, given that Faulk:

A. Has played some QB
B. Has run effectively off of direct snaps

1. A and B contradict each other
2. What would you rather try to get yardage with? Brady/Welker/Moss, or a "change of pace" tricky type play?
3. Sure, the Pats could run wildcat, if they thought it would be beneficial.
4. This offense will, as long as TFB wears a Pats uniform, be centered around TFB.
5. Wildcat would only ever be a "change of pace" play.

No it doesn't make any sense for Brady to run it. But it does make a whole lot of sense to have Edelman on your practice squad to defend against it.

BRILLIANT! I can't believe I didn't think of that angle....:agree:

Darius Butler lined up at qb in the wild cat formation a few (unsuccessful times) at UConn. He was also an option qb in high school.

So you want to put in a formation where you eliminate the possibility of Brady throwing and Moss running deep routes? Really?

Only if the Pats intention is to keep from running up the score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back