PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wilbur smashes media for Peyton double standard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just can't understand why the league and media hates the 199th pick so much even though its such a fantastic JAG to GOAT story (or if you prefer rags to riches).

They don't fall in line with the rest and be the BS the NYJFL* wants them to be. Look no further than the 2001 Superbowl when the players told them "you can announce whoever you want but we're coming out as a team."

I will say one thing, Spygate really woke me up to the true nature of the mass media today. Deflategate confirmed it. This just further convinces me that they are all a bunch of crooked bastards.

The scary part is, if they are lying and misleading the public on sports stories, what's going on with the really important stuff?
The same exact thing.

It's true, but nobody cares. Not one person in the office is talking about it. But my whole office, including my assistant manager who once called a touchdown a goal (like in soccer), was razzing me about Brady during the off season. Look, people are who they are. The world has been taught to hate all things Brady and New England and to defend all things Peyton Manning. Look at all the predictions of Brady's demise the past few off seasons (before this past one). How many people are talking about the present decline of Manning truly? If anything, the media starting talking three or so weeks ago how Manning would come back to lead the Broncos to a SB win. He couldn't even do that when he was playing at a Manning level. But of course this season would be the year according to the general media. Yeah, okay.:rolleyes:

People base their opinions in large part on whether or not they like the person. If they like you, then you're hilarious, can do no wrong or nobody really messes with you when you screw up. When they hate you, then all your jokes are corny, everything you do is wrong and everybody waits for the next screw up. That's just what it is.
I had to quote my own post (sorry if that seems arrogant) because I realized something in my own words that I didn't when I typed it. To think that the media was talking about Manning coming back to lead the Broncos to a SB, even when Os was playing decently, is a scary proposition because I have felt for years that there are narratives that a sport will play to and determine outcomes (think Ray Lewis' last season). I don't even care if I sound like Mel Gibson. LOL It scares me that the same NFL trying to hang Tom Brady still is the same NFL that could work things out to where Manning really ends up in the SB. The only good thing about it is the SB is not played in the regular season. But still, I would hate to see him in the SB. I hope HFA doesn't come back to bite NE in the arse.

I had to quote my own post (sorry if that seems arrogant) because I realized something in my own words that I didn't when I typed it. To think that the media was talking about Manning coming back to lead the Broncos to a SB, even when Os was playing decently, is a scary proposition because I have felt for years that there are narratives that a sport will play to and determine outcomes (think Ray Lewis' last season). I don't even care if I sound like Mel Gibson. LOL It scares me that the same NFL trying to hang Tom Brady still is the same NFL that could work things out to where Manning really ends up in the SB. The only good thing about it is the SB is not played in the regular season. But still, I would hate to see him in the SB. I hope HFA doesn't come back to bite NE in the arse.
There are definitely narratives that the NFL wants to see happen… But dragging Manning to the Super Bowl might be a bridge too far even for them.

I will say one thing, Spygate really woke me up to the true nature of the mass media today. Deflategate confirmed it. This just further convinces me that they are all a bunch of crooked bastards.

The scary part is, if they are lying and misleading the public on sports stories, what's going on with the really important stuff?
I know, will Caitlin Jenner Ever find the right dress? and will Kimye gold plate the toilets in their next house that looks like the palace at versailles? The way the media is now a days we might get the real story.:mad::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Near the end of the piece, I'm not sure he used the word "eschew" correctly.

Or maybe I'm the one that doesn't understand how eschew should be used...??? /confused
Nope, the author got it wrong. To eschew is to forego something. They are NOT foregoing it (sweeping it under the rug). They are going for it (sweeping it under the rug).

Unfortunately, this will fall on deaf ears. It really bugs me, but I guess I will just have to learn to live with the fact that the media will do what it pleases to whomever it wants. They have no need/want to be impartial or tell the truth - they are interested in driving negativity in order to get clicks, ratings and ad revenue. The Patriots will never be the "good guys" again. We are the The Black Hat, and The Black Hat always has a wanted poster. Manning has always been coddled by the media, and will continue to be for the rest of his life. They will always go the extra mile and accentuate his positives and downplay his negatives. The behavior of the media we are seeing with this story is certainly not surprising given how they've always treated Goober.

Last edited:
Just thinking about this whole friggin' thing... from the absurdity of Deflategate to the ballwashing of Manning, to the chimpscreamers yelling 'cheaters!', and all the other CRAP this team and its fan base has had to endure since 2006... makes me kind of...

andy-punches-a-wall-o.gif

...lose it. o_O

So this firm Sly works for, Elementz, closed down last week. And the Guyer place was busted by the Feds a few years ago. Are you telling me the FBI isn't sniffing around right now?

IIRC, with the BALCO investigation, there was a lot of noise to start, then it went quiet for a bit then all hell broke loose with indictments and subpoenas being passed out like flyers by peddlers in Downtown Crossing.

Hopefully the DEA, FBI and Indiana SA office are getting coordinated. Seems like the authorities in the State of Florida and others need to be brought up to speed on the investigation- if any....

I have noted the phenomenon many times, except, unlike the purported amnesia effect, i presume that all of the other articles are full of it as well. Most journalistic pieces are better to use as tools to make a point etc than to actually acquire information

In the days of paper newspapers one could easily say there was an even better use for those articles.

I just can't understand why the league and media hates the 199th pick so much even though its such a fantastic JAG to GOAT story (or if you prefer rags to riches).
Yes, this is the million dollar question. Why has the league decided to protect Manning's reputation and sully Brady's for similar infractions as they relate to the integrity of the game?

The Commishoner himself told us that deflating balls provided an advantage similar to taking performance enhancing drugs. Furthermore, Manning is a star, one of the game's best players and has played the biggest games just like Brady so why on earth is this report a non story?

Nantz was embarrassing Sunday

I love Nantz but he was bad...

Simms took the cake though. He should have just referred to Peyton as daddy this past weekend...Pathetic..

Yes, this is the million dollar question. Why has the league decided to protect Manning's reputation and sully Brady's for similar infractions as they relate to the integrity of the game?

The Commishoner himself told us that deflating balls provided an advantage similar to taking performance enhancing drugs. Furthermore, Manning is a star, one of the game's best players and has played the biggest games just like Brady so why on earth is this report a non story?

1. The league will not do anything until the feds do something first as PM has not tested positive. Which leads to...

2. The leagues HGH testing is a joke - that will come to light.

3. Having its two most high-profile stars being inquisitioned by the league would be bad for the brand.

4. He'll most likely retire anyway (guess)

It is in the league's best interest to see how this plays out. They learned their lesson from Deflategate.

It's not inexplicable (the explanation is Manning is the darling of the NFL, the media and Goodell and Brady and the Pats are NOT), but it is inexcusable.
You missed my point. Manning is the league's darling, Brady is the league's villain. Question is why? I think Willbur's argument that it's about sponsorship relationship is a reach. The league must have hundreds of advertising partners, what do they care about Papa Jon's, I doubt these pull out over this in any case. So yes, in my mind the favoritism is still inexplicable.

The Donkeys will get another Seattle like embarrassing beat down if they somehow make it to SB 50!

The much derided Eric Wilbur wrote this piece?

When I saw the headline I first thought it was the guy from the classic Mr. Ed shows on TvLand.

Hopefully Manning's version of Brian McNamee finds his way into the spotlight.

1. The league will not do anything until the feds do something first as PM has not tested positive. Which leads to...

2. The leagues HGH testing is a joke - that will come to light.

3. Having its two most high-profile stars being inquisitioned by the league would be bad for the brand.

4. He'll most likely retire anyway (guess)

It is in the league's best interest to see how this plays out. They learned their lesson from Deflategate.

That's a reasonable explanation but If they learned a lesson from Deflategate wouldn't they have dropped the appeal by now? Instead they've doubled down on one of their biggest stars. It leads one to believe that if they think, as a matter of principle, that protecting their stars from negative publicity is in the league's best interest, they apply that belief selectively.

Which brings you right back to why the favoritism?

This, has bothered me for years. The media as a whole has been feeding us garbage for as long as I remember. On one hand they tell us that they can't influence opinions, all while asking for money to influence people's spending habits with their advertising.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore