Welcome to PatsFans.com

** ESPN Poll Points Out the Fan/Media Double Standard on the Patriots!! **

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by maverick4, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/story?id=3015550

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  2. Fixit

Fixit In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +190 / 3 / -2

Re: ESPN Points Out the Fan/Media Double Standard for the Patriots

Ever so slowly, the worm begins to turn.

3. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

The first few comments on this are brutal, the fans accuse ESPN of being biased for the Pats. How is it biased to use real data and show how there is a fan bias and double standard?

4. ArmyPatsFan

ArmyPatsFan On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Very interesting...nice find.

5. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

If you allow binoculars or audio recording or even videotaping of the play on the field, you are simply talking about a matter of degrees of espionage. It seems a joke to call videotaping 'cheating' and 'ruining the integrity of the NFL', and then to condone lesser degrees of the same thing.

6. Fixit

Fixit In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +190 / 3 / -2

"videotaping the signals is cheating. period. if they'd just had someone watching and was able to figure it out on the fly and then give his interpretations to the coaching staff to make adjustments, that's ok by me. that's working harder and smarter than the other team. i played baseball in college and we'd always watch try to steal signs if we were on the bases or watching the opposing team's 3rd base coach and then share the information once we thought we might have it figured it out. and, the other team was doing the same thing to us. taping is just weasel-like."

:rolleyes:

7. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

The reader comments below the article really make me mad. They show just how completely biased the entire country is toward the Pats, and how much blind hatred there is for the Pats. These readers accuse ESPN of trying to protect the Pats and being biased. How is it biased to use hard data to point out the double standard?

8. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

This is insane. Among the most commonly suggested punishments among comments include losing our first 3 draft picks, suspending Belichick for 2 games, forfeiting the Jets game, or barring the Patriots from the post-season!!

9. ClevTrev

ClevTrev Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

A quick correction of your sentence, maverick, and then a point on this. What Pats fans are witnessing are the same dynamics that occurred in the Salem witch trials. People's discomfort and suspicion (due to the Patriots' success) causes them to perceive the worst. In other words, a team with success far beyond what other teams have achieved in the cap era, must be doing something beyond fair play to win. Despite the fact that many other teams take a variety of actions that are against the rules of fair play to achieve a competitive advantage, the fact that the Patriots have been accused is enough for people to assume this is the sole reason for the team's success. It's massive rationalization, since they are uncomfortable with this success. Pretty much human nature.

The similarity with the Salem witch trials is all this personal evaluation being written and reported about Belichick. Now, many of these rumors and innuendos are distorted and false interpretations without factual confirmation. The rules of journalism where sources must have attribution and information must be verified have been thrown to the four winds. This is piling on of the worst kind; yet, it's a solid example of human nature in our culture where those who are very successful become vilified once a flaw in their character is perceived.

10. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Re: ** ESPN Points Out the Fan/Media Double Standard for the Patriots! **

Clev it's a great analogy. This is more like a witchhunt, facts or truth be damned.

I'm not trying to be a homer, what the Pats did was break a rule and should be punished, but I am astounded by the various punishments suggested that are nowhere close to fit the crime. It seems perspective and objectivity are being thrown out the window on this one.

11. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +434 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

No, actually it's really OK.

12. ClevTrev

ClevTrev Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Re: ** ESPN Points Out the Fan/Media Double Standard for the Patriots! **

You get it. It's become a witch hunt. To Roger Goodell: Mete out the punishment ASAP and move on. This is not good for the league or the fans.

13. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Re: ESPN Points Out the Fan/Media Double Standard for the Patriots!!

Any punishment on the Patriots will have ramifications for every other kind of espionage, including audio, binoculars, lip readers, and maybe even videotaping of play on the field.

What should be the appropriate punishment?

14. PatsLoad

PatsLoad Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I doubt that it's not illegal to do it that way from what I understand

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/magazine/life_of_reilly/news/2002/01/09/life_of_reilly/

15. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

from Reilly's article:

"Lipreading is a feverish topic in the NFL these days. Coaches are covering their mouths when they send in plays because they're suspicious that thieves are watching. The coaches look like they had onions for lunch or just graduated from the Istanbul Spy Institute. "We hear rumors all the time about [opposing] coaches hiring guys to read our lips," says Cardinals offensive coordinator Rich Olson.

It's no rumor, pal. "Our guy keeps a pair of binoculars on their signal-callers every game," says Broncos coach Mike Shanahan. "With any luck, we have their defensive signals figured out by halftime. Sometimes, by the end of the first quarter."

Giants coach Jim Fassel thinks it's all lip service. "If someone is that smart," Fassel grouses, "he should be curing cancer, not coaching football."

To check it out, I hired three lip-readers, all women, all football fans and all either hearing impaired or profoundly deaf, to come by the house last weekend. Nice people. They didn't even complain when my younger son tried to sign good morning, but wound up signing screw you instead.

The first game was the Colts' easy win over the Broncos, and the one guy who should've covered his mouth was not a coach but a player, Indianapolis quarterback Peyton Manning. He's Dudley Do-Right in public, but on the field Manning seems to have the vocabulary of a dyspeptic carnival employee. The lip-readers counted nine televised f---s, many dammits, and, once, just for variety's sake, a f-----' dammit! "

16. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Re: ** ESPN Points Out the Fan/Media Double Standard for the Patriots!! **

I want some media pundit or Chargers/Jets/Colts/Raiders fan to explain this to me:
    Many of you claim this threatens the integrity of the league. Explain to me HOW and WHY. Explain to me how this is so much more egregious than lip reading, using audio recording, binoculars, or videotaping of play on the field.

No one is disputing this is a violation of a rule and deserves punishment. I want to know why you think this is a completely ridiculous, over the top, unbelievably dirty move to videotape a sideline. I want you to explain to me how this warrants losing multiple draft picks, or a suspension, or a forfeit, if all those other forms of espionage warrant zero punishment.

17. stcjones

stcjones Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +70 / 24 / -20

#12 Jersey

18. stcjones

Ratings:
    +70 / 24 / -20

#12 Jersey

Salem witch trials.......brilliant!....this is actually a great analogy!!! You get one guy who comes out attacking a popular guy who is doing something that this particular guy doesn't like....or because he can't be as good or popular on his own,........and he gets the rest of the town to buy into his lunacy....and it snowballs.....great analogy!!!

19. stcjones

Ratings:
    +70 / 24 / -20

#12 Jersey

Yeah.....but the problem is that the Pats have too much F'IN CLASS to call other teams on this kind of horsesh@@!!!! If ole' pumpkinhead was doing this on Sunday....do you think BB would have called him on it? The only reason Man-gina called in the texas rangers on this is because he got a good old fashioned ***** whipping....and had to try to find some excuse to avoid the embarrassment and verbal raping in the media.......that bloated jackbag is a coward!!!

20. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

I think Mangini didn't realize how big this would become. Belichick may get impeached, in a way, like Clinton, but Linda Tripp aka Mangini comes out looking like an a-hole.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.