Welcome to PatsFans.com

Why wasn't the Cromartie INT a safety?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by MustaphaM0nd, Sep 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MustaphaM0nd

MustaphaM0nd Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

YouTube - Antonio Cromartie Interception against the Patriots

I hate to complain, but its something I was thinking about when it happened during the game.

heres the video for reference. During 00:19 to 00:20 he catches the ball and tucks it under his arm immediately (showing his return man instincts), appearing to establish possession somewhere between the 3 and the 2.
    Then he gets tackled by Moss in the endzone.

Do I just not understand the rules? Can someone please enlighten me how the safety rule works?
  2. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +420 / 5 / -1

That was my initial reaction that it was a safety. But the rule is that when a player intercepts the ball and his momentum brings him into the endzone and he is downed, the ball is placed at the spot of the interception.
  3. boston22407

boston22407 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

close play and call
  4. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +180 / 4 / -5

The safety rule is based on the notion of "impetus." In order for a safety to occur, the action that brought the ball into the endzone must have "begun" with the player on offense.

As an example, if a running back starts a run in the endzone, gets out to the 2, then gets pushed back by the defense into the EZ, it's not a safety. But if he takes the ball at the 2, goes into the EZ to try to get to the outside and gets tackled while still in the EZ, that's a safety.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.