PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why so worried about the Willie situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinkypete

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
It seems clear to me. Willie's cap number is $8.3 million with a $3 million roster bonus due in a few days. We simply cannot carry that number on our cap when the league year begins, so if we can't restructure, he has to be cut. That's the business end of football.

It doesn't mean he's going anywhere. Willie will probably get offers from Cleveland, San Francisco and Dallas, but is not going to be paid like a big free agent unless a team like Dallas or San Diego things he's the 1 missing piece. He's too old to command a big contract.

My prediction is this. Willie will not recieve a knockout offer from another team, though he'll consider an offer or two. If he can stay on the market for 2-3 weeks, when the big money is spent and the cap and CBA situations are clearer, we'll be able to set aside the 3 million or so mecessary to bring Willie back.

stinkypete said:
It seems clear to me. Willie's cap number is $8.3 million with a $3 million roster bonus due in a few days. We simply cannot carry that number on our cap when the league year begins, so if we can't restructure, he has to be cut. That's the business end of football.

It doesn't mean he's going anywhere. Willie will probably get offers from Cleveland, San Francisco and Dallas, but is not going to be paid like a big free agent unless a team like Dallas or San Diego things he's the 1 missing piece. He's too old to command a big contract.

My prediction is this. Willie will not recieve a knockout offer from another team, though he'll consider an offer or two. If he can stay on the market for 2-3 weeks, when the big money is spent and the cap and CBA situations are clearer, we'll be able to set aside the 3 million or so mecessary to bring Willie back.
I hope you are right. This guy is the key in the locker room. You have no idea how important he is to this team's psyche. Do not underestimate this.

re

shirtsleeve said:
I hope you are right. This guy is the key in the locker room. You have no idea how important he is to this team's psyche. Do not underestimate this.

shirtsleeve, you've said this in other threads about a half dozen times. What is your reasoning for this, and why is Willie more important than Tom, Tedy, Rodney, Matt, and Richard?

Are you Big Willie's agent trying to pump him up on this board? :)

maverick4 said:
shirtsleeve, you've said this in other threads about a half dozen times. What is your reasoning for this, and why is Willie more important than Tom, Tedy, Rodney, Matt, and Richard?

Are you Big Willie's agent trying to pump him up on this board? :)

Nope, read my other post on the other Willie thread. This is a fact. This is inside info and fact. Do not doubt it.

#55 in 2006: Cleveland at $7M per year.

shirtsleeve said:
Nope, read my other post on the other Willie thread. This is a fact. This is inside info and fact. Do not doubt it.
I suspect you're right. He does seem set up to get last year's Troy Brown treatment. Remains to be seen if it works out as well. Wish some big local corporation would show him some love like Troy and Adam got.

groundgame said:
#55 in 2006: Cleveland at $7M per year.

No way they pay him more than the contract they just gave Andra Davis.

According to the notes on Miguel's website, Willie's roster bonus isn't due until March 15th. That tells me that there is plenty of time to get things settled once Upshaw has the cranial rectal inverson performed.

At this point in his career, I cant see Willie wanting to play for anyone else. He only leaves if:

1) We simply cannot afford him
2) BB thinks he is declining and not worth reasonable $$
3) He feels insulted by what we can afford

I dont think any of those 3 are going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News