PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why i think Asante is gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALP

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
1. our cap space this year is limited, where last yr we had plenty, and did not sign asante to a long term deal

2. b/c our defensive scheme right now focuses more on average cb's that can do an effective job, we do not need outstanding cb's in our defensive schemes

3. b/c our cb's do not switch sides, our scheme allows for them to be considered pretty much equal in value...(this is due to the fact that opposing offenses can line up their number one guy agasint hobbs instead of asante all game long)

4. b/c asante is really not worth that much money, and the pats dont spend money like crazy...

5. b/c i think pretty much any new cb can do asante's job right away, with little value being lost at the position

6. b/c our scheme depends on QB pressure, not wr coverage, and hence our defense has lacked b/c of poor qb pressure

well, those are the reasons, what do you guys think?

1. our cap space this year is limited, where last yr we had plenty, and did not sign asante to a long term deal
I agree, and this one is tied to #4

2. b/c our defensive scheme right now focuses more on average cb's that can do an effective job, we do not need outstanding cb's in our defensive schemes
I think it's more a matter of, they cannot afford outstanding cb's based on how they've spent their money

3. b/c our cb's do not switch sides, our scheme allows for them to be considered pretty much equal in value...(this is due to the fact that opposing offenses can line up their number one guy agasint hobbs instead of asante all game long)
I assume it helps BB gameplan as to where the holes in the defense are going to be based on where his own team's weaknesses are, and what the other teams 'should' do to exploit them.

4. b/c asante is really not worth that much money, and the pats dont spend money like crazy...
Tied to #1, and I agree

5. b/c i think pretty much any new cb can do asante's job right away, with little value being lost at the position
I won't go that far, but Asante does have weaknesses that stick out, despite having good ball skills

6. b/c our scheme depends on QB pressure, not wr coverage, and hence our defense has lacked b/c of poor qb pressure
I felt that the only reason our team was #2 in the league in sacks was in large part due to the coverage. The Pats rarely overpowered lines with speed rushes. It seemed mainly to be blitzes, and coverage sacks.

well, those are the reasons, what do you guys think?

I wonder how much longer teams will pay out Nate Clements type money, before that trend starts regressing.

Another "I think Asante is gone" thread?

Perhaps someone can shake things up with a shorter "why I think the Patriots will give Asante the $100 million contract he is looking for" thread - but I doubt you'd find someone to start it.

Last edited:
Becasue in his own words, he wants a "mega-deal". And he wont get that from the Pats. I think the Pats would give him a very good deal. But it seems that there are players out there who use their paychecks as a dtermining factor as to the type of player they are, and not just performance on the field. And I think Samuel falls in that category.

ok, so most of us are of the same opinion...good...

now, do you gusy believe there is someone a CB in the draft better or similar to Asante?

i believe the pats with ehtier current scheme are looking more for a coverage CB, rather then a man on man cb like cromartie....

also i believe the pats really need to start switching their corners

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes