PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why Charger-fan should be worried about Rivers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey dude, it would be insane for us charger fans to not be just a *little* concerned about Philip going into his first playoff game... let alone, going at it against Bill's gameplan.

but a few points for you to consider:

* LT. if Philip just needs to hand the ball off to LT, and he scampers for a couple a' hundred yards and a few TD's (like he's been doing all year), then we really don't need the kid to put up huge number to beat you guys. If LT's getting stopped short, then we can spread him out to the sides for simple receptions that can go for big yards.

* Gates. short passes to Gates underneath your ILB's could cause some serious issues for your (older/slower - sorry) guys. Gates is a threat to score, or pick up big yards on every touch. these are simple throws for the kid, and he won't need much protection for the completions.

* Chargers O Line. These guys have been playing a great season, and they're healthy and rested. I expect that Phil will get some time to pick his spots down the field later in the game

* Michael Turner. I hear almost nothing about him from your boards, but I keep tellin ya' that you're gonna need to watch out for this guy. He could have a huge breakout game (would be great for his asking price next year), and I seriously doubt that Bill has the time and/or available resources to develop a detailed gameplan against him.

* Chargers D. If they are able to get to Tom early and often, and keep him on his back/out of rhythm, then again, we won't need 40 points and 400 yards from the kid. I actually think this is where the game will be won or lost for us. I don't think you can *stop* LT, Gates or Turner, but if you're able to score at will against our secondary, then we're in some serious trouble. If we *need* to put up 35 or more to compete, then I agree, that we're in some hot water.

hey dude, it would be insane for us charger fans to not be just a *little* concerned about Philip going into his first playoff game... let alone, going at it against Bill's gameplan.

* LT. if Philip just needs to hand the ball off to LT, and he scampers for a couple a' hundred yards and a few TD's (like he's been doing all year), then we really don't need the kid to put up huge number to beat you guys. If LT's getting stopped short, then we can spread him out to the sides for simple receptions that can go for big yards.

* Gates. short passes to Gates underneath your ILB's could cause some serious issues for your (older/slower - sorry) guys. Gates is a threat to score, or pick up big yards on every touch. these are simple throws for the kid, and he won't need much protection for the completions.

* Chargers O Line. These guys have been playing a great season, and they're healthy and rested. I expect that Phil will get some time to pick his spots down the field later in the game

* Michael Turner. I hear almost nothing about him from your boards, but I keep tellin ya' that you're gonna need to watch out for this guy. He could have a huge breakout game (would be great for his asking price next year), and I seriously doubt that Bill has the time and/or available resources to develop a detailed gameplan against him.

* Chargers D. If they are able to get to Tom early and often, and keep him on his back/out of rhythm, then again, we won't need 40 points and 400 yards from the kid. I actually think this is where the game will be won or lost for us. I don't think you can *stop* LT, Gates or Turner, but if you're able to score at will against our secondary, then we're in some serious trouble. If we *need* to put up 35 or more to compete, then I agree, that we're in some hot water.

Thanks SDBlueBear for your respectful and insightful post.

good post--responses below

* LT. if Philip just needs to hand the ball off to LT, and he scampers for a couple a' hundred yards and a few TD's (like he's been doing all year), then we really don't need the kid to put up huge number to beat you guys. If LT's getting stopped short, then we can spread him out to the sides for simple receptions that can go for big yards. LT is a major talent, but our DL is up to the task. Warren, Wilfork, Seymour, Green and Wright with Banta-Cain and Colvin on the edges and Bruschi and Vrabel in the middle is as formidable a group as SD has seen all season and they are all healthy and playing at a high level.

* Gates. short passes to Gates underneath your ILB's could cause some serious issues for your (older/slower - sorry) guys. Gates is a threat to score, or pick up big yards on every touch. these are simple throws for the kid, and he won't need much protection for the completions. Gates will get his catches, but containment is the word--I wouldn't be surprised to see him shut out of the EZ.

* Chargers O Line. These guys have been playing a great season, and they're healthy and rested. I expect that Phil will get some time to pick his spots down the field later in the game See first response

* Michael Turner. I hear almost nothing about him from your boards, but I keep tellin ya' that you're gonna need to watch out for this guy. He could have a huge breakout game (would be great for his asking price next year), and I seriously doubt that Bill has the time and/or available resources to develop a detailed gameplan against him. I wanted the Patriots to draft this dude a couple of years ago--he is a luxury to have on the bench and I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a great career elsewhere when he leaves SD for a starting job.

* Chargers D. If they are able to get to Tom early and often, and keep him on his back/out of rhythm, then again, we won't need 40 points and 400 yards from the kid. I actually think this is where the game will be won or lost for us. I don't think you can *stop* LT, Gates or Turner, but if you're able to score at will against our secondary, then we're in some serious trouble. If we *need* to put up 35 or more to compete, then I agree, that we're in some hot water. Expect the Patriots to be up to the task against the blitz. Look for the same no-huddle and quick counts that they used against NYJ's blitzing scheme. Graham and Evans will contribute by staying in and blocking. Patriots Offense is going to move the ball on SD and put up points.

Last edited:
Flying Fungi - yep, all of the right responses, and it's why it's going to be a great game!! :D

just two more things, that I think will be storylines of the day...

* Cam Cameron. People tend to believe that Marty is "in control" of the Chargers, but note how often (almost never) he wears a headset... Cam calls the shots for the Chargers O, and while you can slam him for not being a great head-coach, the guy is a beast when it comes to O-Coor. No doubt that he'll have some tricks up his sleeve to get the ball moving, and to get the pressure off of the kid (esp. early in the game).

* Phillip Rivers. Look, I am a Chargers fan. I knew that we needed to trade Drew Brees and let the kid have the ball (that sucked, BTW), but I would be lying if I said that he's the second coming of Marino, Montana or even Brady (yet). That said, in all humility, the kid has done something special this year. When the heat is on, and the pressure is at its greatest, he seems to elevate. He motivates the guys, and you can tell when he goes in that he thinks we should score on every possesion. I'm not trying to be a Homer here, but I have to give the kid credit for performing in the clutch. Cincinnatti, Denver and Seattle are all great examples. When lesser *rookie* QB's would have likely folded, he's been able to make the right play at the right time and come away with the W. 14-2 has to count for something, right?

We'll both move the ball, and we'll both do things to make the other team seem outgunned. The question at the end of the day, is who will have more points on the board at the end of the game. Just like you do, I like our chances. :)

Flying Fungi - yep, all of the right responses, and it's why it's going to be a great game!! :D

just two more things, that I think will be storylines of the day...

* Cam Cameron. People tend to believe that Marty is "in control" of the Chargers, but note how often (almost never) he wears a headset... Cam calls the shots for the Chargers O, and while you can slam him for not being a great head-coach, the guy is a beast when it comes to O-Coor. No doubt that he'll have some tricks up his sleeve to get the ball moving, and to get the pressure off of the kid (esp. early in the game).

* Phillip Rivers. Look, I am a Chargers fan. I knew that we needed to trade Drew Brees and let the kid have the ball (that sucked, BTW), but I would be lying if I said that he's the second coming of Marino, Montana or even Brady (yet). That said, in all humility, the kid has done something special this year. When the heat is on, and the pressure is at its greatest, he seems to elevate. He motivates the guys, and you can tell when he goes in that he thinks we should score on every possesion. I'm not trying to be a Homer here, but I have to give the kid credit for performing in the clutch. Cincinnatti, Denver and Seattle are all great examples. When lesser *rookie* QB's would have likely folded, he's been able to make the right play at the right time and come away with the W. 14-2 has to count for something, right?

We'll both move the ball, and we'll both do things to make the other team seem outgunned. The question at the end of the day, is who will have more points on the board at the end of the game. Just like you do, I like our chances. :)

if youse guys win, i'm rooting for a Chargers/Saints SB--Brees v Rivers!

if youse guys win, i'm rooting for a Chargers/Saints SB--Brees v Rivers!
gee - that's funny. if we win, i am rooting for a chargers -vs- anyone but the saints superbowl :) going against Drew would be something of a nightmare for our D, and it would be a nut-house from a media coverage perspective. of course, i can see why you'd wanna see that, but i am hoping Drew gets his ring another year than this one :D

interesting stat:

Billichoke is a whopping 0-2 against Marty.
Tom Brady 1-2 against SD.
LT averages about 140 yds against the Pats.
SD defense 61 sacks (1st in NFL)
Pats plays in mediocre Division AFC Least.
Got beaten by Miami 21-0. LOL
Patsies was beaten by AFC West last year in Diviosinal round. I expect the same result this year.

Goodluck playing Golf after this Sunday Patriots.

Last edited:

I hope that one such as yourself can appreciate the immense irony in calling the winningest postseason coach in NFL history "Billichoke."

interesting stat:

Beaten by AFC West last year in Diviosinal round. I expect the same result this year.

once again we have a visiting fan that seems unable to make a post with credibility.

Belichick 11-2 in NFL Playoffs--Marty 5-12
Tom Brady 11-1 in NFL Playoffs with 2 SB MVPs--Rivers 0-0
Patriots D giving up less than 100yds/game in 2006--a season in which SD has not played NEP
Tom Brady has been sacked 26 times this season
AFC East is one of the top divisions in the NFL in 2006.
Won Super Bowls in 2001, 2003, 2004 and I expect the same this year.

Last edited:
I hope that one such as yourself can appreciate the immense irony in calling the winningest postseason coach in NFL history "Billichoke."

im saying he choke against the AFC West last year and he will again this Sunday.

or the guy knocking the east, considering it was a better division than the west.

I'm still shocked he didn't mention pro bowlers

Last edited:
once again we have a visiting fan that seems unable to make a post without credibility.

Belichick 11-2 in NFL Playoffs--Marty 5-12
Tom Brady 11-1 in NFL Playoffs with 2 SB MVPs--Rivers 0-0
Patriots D giving up less than 100yds/game in 2006--a season in which SD has not played NEP
Tom Brady has been sacked 26 times this season
AFC East is one of the top divisions in the NFL in 2006.
Won Super Bowls in 2001, 2003, 2004 and I expect the same this year.

stop being a homer and call AFC East one of the top Division. AFC West North and South are better than the East. billichick is still 0-2 against Marty no matter how u put it, they still played a football game. Tom Brady sacked 26 times has never played a San Diego caliber type defense that sacks QB averaging almost 4 a game. and no way no how New England get a sniff of a SB this year.

interesting stat:

Patsies was beaten by AFC West last year in Diviosinal round. I expect the same result this year.

And i say to that - small sample size. It doesn't mean much. And this squad is very different than the one the Chargers faced last year. BB will cook up a gameplan for Sunday. He was able to shut down the '01 Rams, the '03 Colts and the '04 Colts that featured Marshall Faulk and Edgerrin James respectively. You still don't think our coach knows how to scheme to shut down the "super halfback"? Think again.

stop being a homer and call AFC East one of the top Division. AFC West North and South are better than the East. billichick is still 0-2 against Marty

so the west is better because you say so? look at total victories. East wins. look at strength of schedule. East wins.

actually, Bellichick and Marty faced off back in the 90s with other teams. I don't care to look it up, but Marty is not 2-0 vs Belichick. all i care is that you are once more wrong.

so the west is better because you say so? look at total victories. East wins. look at strength of schedule. East wins.

actually, Bellichick and Marty faced off back in the 90s with other teams. I don't care to look it up, but Marty is not 2-0 vs Belichick. all i care is that you are once more wrong.

ALL HEARSAY....dont just say it prove it. All Im saying is Marty as a Charger Coach is 2-0 against Billichick the so called genius best game planner extraordinaire. remember 41-17 a*s whopping last year at your own turf. i remember it...t'was UGLY!!!LOL

P.S. an AFC West team beat your Pats last year in the playoffs. expect it to happen AGAIN so you wont be disappointed too much.

Last edited:

Honestly, this is a dumb debate anyway. We're talking about 1 game of seperation between two divisions. I've always hated the "our division is better than your division" and omg, our strength of schdule r0x0rs your b0x0rs" type arguments. It seems like they rarely actually mean anything when the game is played.

To me, these are the things that will really matter Sunday.

Patriots have a great postseason QB and will be very well prepared.

The Chargers have the best running-game in the NFL.

The Chargers had a bye week and are playing at home.

Everywhere else it looks fairly even to me.

Last edited:
from the cold, hard football facts guys:

One: Belichick owns quarterbacks in the postseason
Chad Pennington acquitted himself quite well in the Jets’ 37-16 loss to the Patriots on Sunday.

He completed 23 of 40 passes for 300 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT and a 79.2 passer rating.

It actually stands as one of the better performances ever against a Bill Belichick defense in the postseason.

Belichick has coached 28 playoff games as a defensive coordinator or head coach. Pennington was just the sixth quarterback in those 28 games to reach the 300-yard mark.

Here’s a look at the cumulative passing performance of opposing quarterbacks in these 28 postseason games against a Belichick defense:

534 for 1,016 (51.6%), 6,530 yards, 6.5 YPA, 30 TDs, 39 INTs, 66.5 passer rating

Eleven of those games were played against MVP-award-winning QBs; six were played against future Hall of Fame quarterbacks.

Seriously, the man turns it up a notch in the post-season. No vanilla schemes, a team that knows their ***** by heart, and a singular focus. Philip Rivers is a nice QB, and maybe he'll have a great game, but the odds say he should be tossing and turning just about now.

You really want to compare your current defense to your defense of a few years ago? Or to the NYG defense when BB was coordinator? BB does not have the same amount of talent to work with. You can only scheme and strategize your way to victory so much. You have to have the players to make plays. And the Pats have lost too many playmakers to free agency and to age (Bruschi, Harrison).

or the guy knocking the east, considering it was a better division than the west.

I'm still shocked he didn't mention pro bowlers

Depends on what you mean by best. The West was the only division with three teams over .500. The top 3 in the West finished 1st, 6th and 7th in the AFC. The top three in the East finished 4th, 5th and 12th.

The awful Raiders drag down our division because of their 2-14 schedule, but the rest of the division is pretty solid. The Bills and Jets and Fins are pretty mediocre.

You really want to compare your current defense to your defense of a few years ago? Or to the NYG defense when BB was coordinator? BB does not have the same amount of talent to work with. You can only scheme and strategize your way to victory so much. You have to have the players to make plays. And the Pats have lost too many playmakers to free agency and to age (Bruschi, Harrison).

Tedy Bruschi is out??

Man--Warren, Wilfork, Seymour, Vrabel, Colvin and Samuel are going to have to step up!

Time for Hobbs, Banta-Cain, Sanders, Hawkins and Mickens to get used to playing some football...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST