PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why Charger-fan should be worried about Rivers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsox23

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
from the cold, hard football facts guys:

One: Belichick owns quarterbacks in the postseason
Chad Pennington acquitted himself quite well in the Jets’ 37-16 loss to the Patriots on Sunday.

He completed 23 of 40 passes for 300 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT and a 79.2 passer rating.

It actually stands as one of the better performances ever against a Bill Belichick defense in the postseason.

Belichick has coached 28 playoff games as a defensive coordinator or head coach. Pennington was just the sixth quarterback in those 28 games to reach the 300-yard mark.

Here’s a look at the cumulative passing performance of opposing quarterbacks in these 28 postseason games against a Belichick defense:

534 for 1,016 (51.6%), 6,530 yards, 6.5 YPA, 30 TDs, 39 INTs, 66.5 passer rating

Eleven of those games were played against MVP-award-winning QBs; six were played against future Hall of Fame quarterbacks.

Seriously, the man turns it up a notch in the post-season. No vanilla schemes, a team that knows their ***** by heart, and a singular focus. Philip Rivers is a nice QB, and maybe he'll have a great game, but the odds say he should be tossing and turning just about now.

Good find Patsox.

I say Rivers can throw 1 INT maximum
if LT < 150 all purpose yards for the day.

For every INT over 1 ... LT will have to have at least
50 all purpose yards for the Chargers to stay in the game.

I expect rivers to have at least 2 picks which IMO LT will
need more than 200 all purpose yards for them to stay close.

I don't see it happening unless the Patriots have more than 2 turnovers
and even then I don't see it happening ... running teams cannot beat us.

I think too much is being made about Rivers and his lack of experience. How we stop Tomlinson and how our OL holds up against their front 7 (a major concern)will tell the story on this one IMO.

I think too much is being made about Rivers and his lack of experience. How we stop Tomlinson and how our OL holds up against their front 7 (a major concern)will tell the story on this one IMO.
I think he would have had more problems over the course of the entire season if he was gonna have them at all. He was pretty damn good though until the 2nd Chiefs game.

In three career games against New England, LaDainian Tomlinson has averaged 142 rushing yards per game with five touchdowns. Last October in Foxboro, Gates caught six passes for 108 yards, an average of 18 yards per catch.

I don't think you can make too much of a QB. Unless SD can get all of their first downs run, run, run Rivers will come into play. The most important plays QBs make are 3rd and 4+. Not surprisingly, these are the plays Brady makes time and time again so I think we as patriots fans are starting to take it for granted (when brady threw that 3rd down out pattern that the DB broke on and almost intercepted on Sunday I was initially really pissed. then it occurred to me just how rarely we see something like that from brady).

To avoid the run, run, pass sequence that Herm had a man-crush for on Saturday you mix in the first and second down passes. whether or not these are successful is hugely important to a team advancing across the field.

but yes, if the Patriots can't slow down Tomlinson and force SD into some 3rd and longs it will be a long game

Chad Pennington acquitted himself quite well in the Jets’ 37-16 loss to the Patriots on Sunday.

He completed 23 of 40 passes for 300 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT and a 79.2 passer rating.

It actually stands as one of the better performances ever against a Bill Belichick defense in the postseason.

Belichick has coached 28 playoff games as a defensive coordinator or head coach. Pennington was just the sixth quarterback in those 28 games to reach the 300-yard mark.

Here’s a look at the cumulative passing performance of opposing quarterbacks in these 28 postseason games against a Belichick defense:

534 for 1,016 (51.6%), 6,530 yards, 6.5 YPA, 30 TDs, 39 INTs, 66.5 passer rating

Eleven of those games were played against MVP-award-winning QBs; six were played against future Hall of Fame quarterbacks.

Seriously, the man turns it up a notch in the post-season. No vanilla schemes, a team that knows their ***** by heart, and a singular focus. Philip Rivers is a nice QB, and maybe he'll have a great game, but the odds say he should be tossing and turning just about now.

You're right. The odds also said that Florida and Urban Meyer had no chance of beating Ohio State and the brilliant Jim Tressel. :)

Nickelbolt, I find it funny that you bring up the National championship game, where the underdog who was "overwhelmed" by the talent of the opposition was able to win a game that most prognosticators gave them no chance to win. Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

You know how Florida won (despite not matching the talent of Ohio State), because they outcoached and outexecuted the Buckeyes.

Last edited:
Nickelbolt, I find it funny that you bring up the National championship game, where the underdog who was "overwhelmed" by the talent of the opposition was able to win a game that most prognosticators gave them no chance to win. Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

You know how Florida won (despite not matching the talent of Ohio State), because they outcoached and outexecuted the Buckeyes.

The oddsmakers are going to be picking the Chargers as the favorite. But by game time, the talking heads will have the Patriots winning this game because of Brady, Belichick, and the playoff experience of the Pats. It won't be nearly the consensus that the OSU/Florida game was.

The poster made the point that the odds were against Philip Rivers succeeding vs. Belichick. That was more what I was referring to.

Wow Bolt nice picture, are you the one in the middle?

I guess the mods removed your picture Bolt, thats too bad.

Last edited:
Okay, besides having Jason Taylor, who is a more complete player than Merriman (and clean), the Dolphins also have a pretty good secondary, unlike your Chargers. Teams can neutralize a pass rush, so if that's your bread and butter, and your only way to stop someone, then Good Luck. Kind of reminds me of the pass rush the Colts had had the two years before this season, when they got off to a good lead and then just teed off.

And what does "watching any Chargers games" have to do with my assessment of the National Championship game? IDK, man, you're kind of a douchebag.

Your sig just shows what kind of a person you are (you still haven't answered if that comes from your own personal stash).

Thanks for the stats and all that and how you think Rivers is gonna be struggling. But the guys only had what 9 INT's all year? :eek:

Hmm...

Now tell me how BB plans to strategize against the league MVP whose scored over 30 TD's this year and over 1800 yards? Not many have been successful at doing that all year long. 8 in the box? Hasn't worked. He'll just motion out as a receiver and burn you that way. What happens when turner and LT are out there together? who do you commit to? What about the jumbo set formation we have on the left side? Has Neal ever factored in to you guys yet? Tell you what, bring all the stats you want but your great coach will be splitting hairs trying to figure out how to contain this guy, no one has so far:

31575.jpg

:rocker:

You'll note Monty Beisel in that picture.

You'll also note he is no longer on our roster.

Neither is Chad Brown.

You'll note Tedy Bruschi was not active at the start of last season. He is now. He, Vrabel, TBC and Colvin are going to make this Sunday a completely different game than the one you saw last season.

You'll note Monty Beisel in that picture.

You'll also note he is no longer on our roster.

Neither is Chad Brown.

You'll note Tedy Bruschi was not active at the start of last season. He is now. He, Vrabel, TBC and Colvin are going to make this Sunday a completely different game than the one you saw last season.

Same LT nontheeless. It will be a very different game for sure. Goodluck in trying to stop him is all I'm saying coz no one has so far this year.

:bricks:

Last edited:
Thanks for the stats and all that and how you think Rivers is gonna be struggling. But the guys only had what 9 INT's all year? :eek:

Hmm...

Now tell me how BB plans to strategize against the league MVP whose scored over 30 TD's this year and over 1800 yards? Not many have been successful at doing that all year long. 8 in the box? Hasn't worked. He'll just motion out as a receiver and burn you that way. What happens when turner and LT are out there together? who do you commit to? What about the jumbo set formation we have on the left side? Has Neal ever factored in to you guys yet? Tell you what, bring all the stats you want but your great coach will be splitting hairs trying to figure out how to contain this guy, no one has so far

probably the same way he strategized against Marshall Faulk in '01 and Edge James in '03 and '04. *edit* and both of those backs had prolific passing attacks backing them up.

listen, we realize that Tomlinson is the best back in football and that he can kill you when the ball is both handed off and passed to him. He isn't the first though and he won't be the last. excuse us if we aren't trembling.

Last edited:
probably the same way he strategized against Marshall Faulk in '01 and Edge James in '03 and '04.

listen, we realize that Tomlinson is the best back in football and that he can kill you when the ball is both handed off and passed to him. He isn't the first though and he won't be the last. excuse us if we aren't trembling.

Don't tremble just yet - there's no need to right now....just feel his wrath this Sunday. Trembles to follow.

The oddsmakers are going to be picking the Chargers as the favorite. But by game time, the talking heads will have the Patriots winning this game because of Brady, Belichick, and the playoff experience of the Pats. It won't be nearly the consensus that the OSU/Florida game was.

The poster made the point that the odds were against Philip Rivers succeeding vs. Belichick. That was more what I was referring to.

Nickel, I got it. good point. welcome aboard, btw.

anybody see that chargers fan sig in here....that's just sick. Where are your mods???

Last edited:
anybody see that chargers fan sig in here....that's just sick. Where are your mods???

that guy is running from behind an anonymizer/proxy server. his IP is banned, but he has posted that image over 70 times, and each time, the on-duty mods are fast to delete the post

just so much can be done short of banning an IP block...

I guess this is a side benefit to having sigs turned off :)

that guy is running from behind an anonymizer/proxy server. his IP is banned, but he has posted that image over 70 times, and each time, the on-duty mods are fast to delete the post

just so much can be done short of banning an IP block...

Thanks for the dilagence staying on top of this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe