PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who Would You NOT Trade in a Branch Scenario ?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who Would You NOT Trade ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
One year on contract to go. Re-signing would take $6M or so. Who from this list would you NOT trade ? This isn't a holdout situation, just a big contract vs. a #1 pick who'll be fairly cheap.

Remember, this is who would you keep and not take a #1 pick for.

Last edited:
Just Brady and Seymour for me although Wilfork was tempting. The reason I posted this is to see if everyone agrees that trading guys for #1 picks over giving big contracts is a good way to run the team as it becomes necessary. I would actually do it all the time other than the fact that these are real people with real emotions and real teammates.

Just Brady and Seymour for me. I also added Maroney, but only because we just spent a 1st round pick on him.

Otherwise, I think a team has to be willing to move ANY player for value at the moment it becomes apparent the player has no interest in sitting down at the bargaining table and hammering out a deal.

For example, get five years out of Wilfork. If he wants Seymour money, take the 1st round pick and go draft the next Wilfork.

Make good faith offers, but don't outbid the league on your own players because you somehow overvalue them. Draft picks are gold in the salary cap football league.

I love Harrison as much as the next guy. But I can't believe over half of you wouldn't trade him for a #1 pick at this stage of his career.

if branch's grill (which by the way, needs a ****load of work) met the grill of a mack truck, i'd be thrilled (especially now that branch's kids have been taken care of)

Last edited:
Brady, Seymour, and Maroney for me. Getting a #1 pick for Maroney seems counterproductive. You don't jump back into a crapshoot that fast

i said brady and seymour as did jus about everyone else

but i also said wilfork, because he is perfect for our system and a stud guy like that that is perfect for the 3-4 nose is hard to come by

I added Hobbs on the assumption that he is an up-and-coming corner who will be entereing his prime when his rookie contract expires. Shutdown corners command a lot of money. Just ask Ty Law! :)

Great poll BF, really puts things in perspective, I may borrow the idea for a PFW question. What you are really asking is which players are worth $6 million per year though because perhaps none of them are worth more for one year than a first round pick is for five (or six) years, thus the decision to trade Deion.

I guess a GM would have to take Brady for a year over a 1st round pick, but even Seymour probably wouldn't be worth it if there were no option to re-sign, as there wasn't with Deion.

Isaac said:
Great poll BF, really puts things in perspective, I may borrow the idea for a PFW question. What you are really asking is which players are worth $6 million per year though because perhaps none of them are worth more for one year than a first round pick is for five (or six) years, thus the decision to trade Deion.
Yeah, I think some missed the question a little. For example I wouldn't trade Maroney now for a #1 as he's signed for 4 more years. The intent, though, was to pretend that Maroney is a UFA after this year like Branch was. Would I prefer a #1 for Maroney vs. signing him to big money ? I'd take the #1.

Its got to be Brady and Seymour...

BelichickFan said:
Yeah, I think some missed the question a little. For example I wouldn't trade Maroney now for a #1 as he's signed for 4 more years. The intent, though, was to pretend that Maroney is a UFA after this year like Branch was. Would I prefer a #1 for Maroney vs. signing him to big money ? I'd take the #1.

I think that it's premature to judge Maroney under that set of circumstances. He's only played one game and we are trying to project four or five years down the road.

Similar problems exist trying to comment on Hobbs.

I voted Brady, Maroney, Seymour, and Wilfork.

I said Brady, Seymore, and Wilfork...but it was tempting to say Harrison. The only thing that kept me was his age. Ironically enough, its his age (or moreso his experience) that made me want to hold back on him and give him the big money versus trading him for the number one. Seeing our secondary last year without him back there to call out signals was rough....especially its affect on Geno.

I think you'd probably see another big vote getter if you included Bruschi in the poll.

BelichickFan said:
Yeah, I think some missed the question a little.

Indeed, I sent this in to PFW radio: "which players on the current roster would you, thinking as a GM, prefer to have for only this season versus a first round pick?"... and they completely misunderstood it, thought I was a fool for asking. Arghh...

BB talked at length about this last winter during the labor negotiations, saying managing personnel was going to be more similar to a college scenario where you have a player for 3 or 4 yrs and then they move on. Apparently, the guy was giving us a glimpse of the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft