PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who Starts, Connolly or Waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ordinarily you wouldn't move two guys out of position when one guy gets hurt, but this might be the exception.

What if Mankins moved to RG? That way he can assist Solder in his first real game where he's facing Wake rushing the right side of the offense. Mankins would be out of position, but Waters would be in his more natural LG spot, next to the experienced Light. It doesn't hurt that many of Solder's practices have been next to Mankins.

Also, I read recently that Mankins has played as a backup RT in game conditions for the Pats, so he some flexibility.

I don't know how likely all that is, but it wouldn't shock me if it happened.

I think if they need help on the right side a better solution would be to bring a tight end in motion to help there (as I recall the Pats did this against Detroit last Thanksgiving after the first couple of drives) to counteract that pressure. Another option is more two tight end sets if needed.

I'd prefer to leave Mankins on the left side; move him to the right and the opponent can easily shift pre-snap and stack their pass rushers on the left side.

One has multiple pro bowls, the other almost certainly has pictures of Belichick with a dude. I'll take the NFL caliber player.

They both start. Waters at RG, and Connolly at fullback when, on the opening Miami drive, McCourty picks off Henne and ALMOST runs it back for a TD. First offensive play is at the Miami 1 :D

Without a doubt Waters. This enables Connoly to go back to his more natural position of KO Returner.;)

I think if they need help on the right side a better solution would be to bring a tight end in motion to help there (as I recall the Pats did this against Detroit last Thanksgiving after the first couple of drives) to counteract that pressure. Another option is more two tight end sets if needed.

I'd prefer to leave Mankins on the left side; move him to the right and the opponent can easily shift pre-snap and stack their pass rushers on the left side.
So it'll be interesting to see if Dan Gronkowski is active on Monday to guard against an injury. I'd think he'd be active on most game days anyway, but especially against teams with pressure defenses.

One has multiple pro bowls, the other almost certainly has pictures of Belichick with a dude. I'll take the NFL caliber player.
That comment is not consistent with the level of play I saw from Connolly last year, or the productivity of the offense with him ont he field.
Decent, mediocre, average would be reasonable adjuectives in my opinion. Stealing a paycheck and not NFL caliber are severe exaggerations IMO.

I'm surprised so many people think he'll start after being signed a week ago off the street. We don't even know if this guy is in game shape yet. We don't know if he's still the same player he was last year.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Connolly start on Monday with Waters being worked in thereafter. It wouldn't surprise me if Waters were even inactive on Monday. Depends a lot on the injury status of the interior line.

If he does start, then more power to him.

One's been a starting caliber guard in this league for years while the other is everything you'd want in a back-up. I'll go with Waters.

Pure unadulterated excellence. :rofl:

Wouldn't be surprised to see Connolly get the start. Surely even a guard needs more than a week or so to get the playbook down and get in sync with the offense.

And how huge is re-signing Mankins looking now? Some of the bluster and posturing from both sides was ugly for awhile, but it looks like the Pats really had little choice with Neal retiring and Koppen wearing down. The lockout helped them in that regard and they are lucky to have gotten a long term deal done at reasonable money.

For all we know Waters could end up being a bust and Cannon might not see the field anytime in the near future.

Without a very solid O-line the Pats will just be spinning their wheels this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes