PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is your "safety valve" at #29?

Can't help but wonder if the OP was trying to suuubtly guide us with her choice of Title.
39.gif
spock.gif

Can't help but wonder if the OP was trying to suuubtly guide us with her choice of Title.
39.gif
spock.gif

subliminal message....Jimmie Ward....Jimmie Ward.....Jimmie Ward....

subliminal message....Jimmie Ward....Jimmie Ward.....Jimmie Ward....

Curses! You've all uncovered my diabolically clever plan to leave a trail of breadcrumbs leading to the very player we all seek! :enranged:

(there's no chance I was just thinking about college applicants with "safety schools." none at all. :whistle: )

39.gif
spock.gif

Curses! You've all uncovered my diabolically clever plan to leave a trail of breadcrumbs leading to the very player we all seek! :enranged:

(there's no chance I was just thinking about college applicants with "safety schools." none at all. :whistle: )

Im pretty sure the only way Off the Grid would recognize a subtle plan was if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord, singing "Subtle plans are here again!" :D

Im pretty sure the only way Off the Grid would recognize a subtle plan was if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord, singing "Subtle plans are here again!" :D

And me without a harpsichord. :(

39.gif
spock.gif

I'm pretty sure the only way Off the Grid would recognize a subtle plan was if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord, singing "Subtle plans are here again!" :D

And me without an harpsichord. :(

My loss, I'm sure!!
jester.gif

Sorry, but I don't see Zack Martin being "long gone" by 29 unless teams decide to go on a major string of O-linemen.. There is just too much other high end talent for people to pass on for that to happen.. And I just don't see it.

Could be, but I've seen multiple mocks with Zach Martin going to Miami at 19, more than
any other player at that spot.

I've been on the Stephon Tuitt train for a while. I like the flexibility he provides to play DT/DE. That said, pick 29 will more than likely be traded similar to the Jamie Collins scenario. I would be fine with that.

If we can find a partner, I would be fine with it as well. That said, I really don't want to see them wait as long as they had to with Collins, although the compensation last year was simply too good to pass up.

39.gif
spock.gif

I'm pretty sure the only way Off the Grid would recognize a subtle plan was if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord, singing "Subtle plans are here again!" :D

And me without an harpsichord. :(

My loss, I'm sure!!
jester.gif

It was a terribly obscure quote I have to confess.. subtle rather than cunning.. ;)

http://sounds.moviesoundclips.net/tv1/blackadderchristmas/subtleplan.mp3

All BlackAdder Quotes ~ without exception ~ are Wins, Brother Zone.
beer.gif

Double Word Score for quoting The Great One Also Known As John Cleese!!
beer.gif

This is tough, they usually like 3 down players in round 1, so either someone who can replace a starter or take a starting role in year 2. I guess I would rather see a slight trade back and then add two quality sub players. Tough call.

Probably Bitonio would be my guy. I'm assuming Zack Martin would be gone in your scenario as well. Otherwise he's in the mix too.

I'm not a big fan of Calvin Pryor, and Clinton-Dix doesn't work really for our needs. Plus #29 is too early for Buchannon.

IMO either guy pushes Mankins by the end of camp this year, and pushes him off the roster next year, when his cap situation tips the cost:benefit ratio against him.

Last edited:
With the 29th pick we are looking for someone who can start in late 2014 or day one in 2015.

I still believe that regardless of who is on the board at #29, BB tries to trade the pick.

We have to assume the pass rusher will be over drafted as that is a position of need across the NFL.

But the other side of the coin is that someone will fall to #29 that we did not expect to be there because the Dee Ford's and Kony Ealy's of the world will be over drafted.

So in summary. I expect the defensive players that BB has highest on his draft board will be off the board by #29. I also know the BB drafts for value and will not overdraft in the first round.

Therefore I expect that we could end up with the highest ranked interior lineman on BB's board, which will be Cyrus Courandijo as a guard and NOT as an OT.

I wouldn't even consider Kouandjio until the end of the 2nd round at the earliest.

Therefore I expect that we could end up with the highest ranked interior lineman on BB's board, which will be Cyrus Courandijo as a guard and NOT as an OT.

Wow, that seems like a pretty tight focus on positional need. IMO a #1 pick is enough of a long-term investment that I'm close to BPA at #29, and the BPA is unlikely to be a guard.

(I also don't see Kouandjio as a natural Pats OG prospect...pretty much the opposite of a Logan Mankins. Would be curious to hear your thinking!)

Wow, that seems like a pretty tight focus on positional need. IMO a #1 pick is enough of a long-term investment that I'm close to BPA at #29, and the BPA is unlikely to be a guard.

(I also don't see Kouandjio as a natural Pats OG prospect...pretty much the opposite of a Logan Mankins. Would be curious to hear your thinking!)

Doesn't Kouandjio sound like a Ravens pick on day two?

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back