PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

White Flag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something tells me that nobody will see that flag on the Patriots side of the field.

There is no crying in baseball. There are no white flags in football.

What amazes me is that nobody ever mentioned this during all of those horrible SB blowouts to the NFC years ago. Something has changed. Maybe staring down the barrel of 3 SB trophies and a Brady at his peak has something to do with it. Brady at his peak ..... with a few years to go with great receivers and OL, are you KIDDING ME?

He**, I lost a HS bball game 82-10 and lived through it, despite the extreme embarrasment. Why can't multi-millionaire NFL players deal with a big loss?

But, but... you weren't getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars just to show up to that game!

Oh, wait...

Well, it's been said but, I think an official "white flag" would be the MOST HUMILIATING thing a professional player could face. Imagine, as a player on the field, looking up and the owners box and seeing a white flag hanging out the window. Uggg, I'd rather hold my head high and walk off the field with pride, knowing "I tried, but failed".

Look at the Dolphins. Much as I hate to do it, and perhaps it cause they have lots of practice at it, but they lost with class. They never quit.... even with the game over. Half the skins D, quit on the field.

The closest thing we could have to a mercy rule would be a symbolic "white flag". If the opposing team, were to yank their starters to indicate that "hey, we give up". I would imagine that ANY TEAM (Including the Patriots) would respond in kind and none of this would matter. Thing is, these opposing teams are continuing to try, and if they do, so will we.

Yep, the ole white flag'll do that to ya. It kinda sticks right in the pit of your stomach don't it? No owner, or player, or coach in his right mind would ever use a white flag. The idea is preposterous and against everything that a coach preaches every day. - ie. to never give up. (and yea, by the sounds of the skins, some of them really don't know that they are getting paid a whole bunch of money to, ya know, NEVER GIVE UP!)

But, it brings to clarity the absurd notion that the pats should do anything but what they want if they are in control. They should simply continue to control and if that means to score more points, then get someone to mark the points on the big board.

Brady at his peak ..... with a few years to go with great receivers and OL, are you KIDDING ME?

WOOooooo Hooooooo!

Yep, there is some frustration out there. And man, Brady is not only in his prime, but he has the eyes of Larry Bird now. He is more determined now than I have ever seen him. I think that the more they talk of any of this dispicable crap, the more that dude lays waste to the land.

Why don't we give the owner's box a white flag that they can hoist up if the going is just tooo tough for them, or when they want to simply ya know, go home?

Great idea!! I love it!

Coach Belichick has said that the offense is out there to score points no matter what the game conditions are. The white flag is a much simpler way of expressing those same thoughts.

Great idea!! I love it!

Coach Belichick has said that the offense is out there to score points no matter what the game conditions are. The white flag is a much simpler way of expressing those same thoughts.

Yea, it perty much makes a statement don't it?

Imagine, your like fighting away and the owner up and unravels the thing simply because he or she feels that it just ain't worth it anymore. :)

I just love that it would be this ultimate "take your ball and go home" kinda thing. Some owners would love that power! Imagine back room, prior to the game discussions "If we're down again by more than ten at the 8 minute mark, I'm a-gonna white flag yer ass!"

Just a great little subplot to an already great story line.

And I really like the bell tolling, and the gongs but others might disagree. Heck, I would have the gong dudes all dressed in roman flowing robes, and leather sandles, and ya know, toga type garb.

I wanted here what you guys would say about this idea too.

Can someone email this idea to naPolian? He's our man. If it needs to be done, Polian can!

Funny how you guys keep citing the little league mercy rule, when the rule isn't actually meant for "mercy". I coached Pony and Colt league baseball for a few years, and I can tell you that the "mercy" rule is actually meant for keeping a game from going well over the time limit. Most little league fields play host to multiple games in a day. Do you know how long it takes to get through a 20 - 2 blowout at that level of play? A loooong time.

Having said all of that, not once did I ever see the rule put into effect. We had time limits on our games instead of the "mercy" rule, so I saw my fair share of blowouts ending in the 2nd inning after 90 minutes of play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News