PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's with all the Maroney hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to look at Maroney's performance this year.
89 rushes for 417 yards and 4.7 ypc...longest carry is 19 yards
2 receptions for 37 yards and 18.5 ypc...longest catch is 25 yards
0 TDs

54...carries on 1st down
32...carries on 2nd down
3....carries on 3rd down
0....carries on 4th down

Inside the 10

Verses Jets
1st and 6 on the 6...1 yard
2nd and 5 on the 5...0 yards
Verses SD
2nd and 7 on the 9...4 yards
3rd and 3 on the 5...2 yards
Verses Buffalo
1st and 6 on the 6...-1 yards
2nd and 4 on the 10...7 yards
1st and 8 on the 8...7 yards
Verses Washington
2nd and 1 on the 6...2 yards...1st down
2nd and 4 on the 4...1 yard
1st and 5 on the 5...3 yards
Verses Indy
2nd and 4 on the 4...0 yards

3rd Down Carries

Verses SD
3rd and 3 on the SD 5...2 yards
Verses Buffalo
3rd and 5 on the NE 33...2 yards
Verses Indy
3rd and 1 on Indy 14...-2 yards

Summary of combined Inside the 10 and 3rd down situations
13 carries...28 yards...2.2 ypc...1 1st down...0 TDs

Hmmm.... so even though most of his running is being done on the 'running down' (1st down), he's averaging 4.7 yards per carry? Wow, that IS impressive!

How do those stats, in a vacuum, make much of a point, though? Are you saying that anytime a player doesn't get a lot of yards, it's ALL ON HIM? Give me a break.

15.7% of his carries are in 3rd down or inside the 10 situations

are 14 carries enough of a sample to draw a realstic conclusion?

or Dominic Rhodes in the past

This argument would make perfect sense if we didnt have one of the best Offensive football teams in NFL history this year :rolleyes:

We have a better O then indy this year.

Last edited:
How do those stats, in a vacuum, make much of a point, though? Are you saying that anytime a player doesn't get a lot of yards, it's ALL ON HIM? Give me a break.

What vacuum...this is situational proof that Maroney is a between the 20's two down back who does not have the coaches confidence to gain the hard yards. He has been given 13 opportunities to gain the tough yards at the goal line or 3rd down and converted ONCE (1 1st down, 0 TDs). Sure, the Oline deserves examination also, but Morris did have succes with this same line.

Hey patsox. The guy presented proof of his claims. Just accept it. As much as you call out everyone for hating on Maroney you are clearly far to much of a homer to accept any rational argument from the other side. You just cannot accept any type of critasism of a pats player. You claim you can , but clearly cannot.

Now tell me why this argument does not matter :rolleyes:

What vacuum...this is situational proof that Maroney is a between the 20's two down back who does not have the coaches confidence to gain the hard yards. He has been given 13 opportunities to gain the tough yards at the goal line or 3rd down and converted ONCE (1 1st down, 0 TDs). Sure, the Oline deserves examination also, but Morris did have succes with this same line.

Last edited:
Hmmm.... so even though most of his running is being done on the 'running down' (1st down), he's averaging 4.7 yards per carry? Wow, that IS impressive!

Considering the Pats pass practically every play their first series every game, I doubt that opponents consider 1st a running down for the Pats.

Considering the Pats pass practically every play their first series every game, I doubt that opponents consider 1st a running down for the Pats.

This makes a ton of sense. Since the pats pass a lot on there first series , lets ignore the other 90 percent of the game to attempt and deflect a great point from someone who dares question Maroney.

I mean ob coaching staffs just ignore how the pats play outside of the first drive!

This post says it all. And it is 100 percent backed with actual stats.

Last edited:
4.7 yards per carry. By the way, Sammy Morris averaged 4.5 .

Just some players that Maroney leads in the most important category, some by at least a full yard per carry:

I'm getting statistical brain-freeze today. But I do wonder this: Is yards per carry unequivocally' the most important category' for a RB?

Is back who reliably racks up 3 yards at a time on second and 2 or third and 2 less important or 'worse' than a back who doesn't get tough yards but breaks some nice 20+ yard runs to create a high ypc figure?

Is a back with an awesome ypc figure who misses 4-5 games every season 'better' than one who has less gaudy numbers but is tough and durable?

I'm not talking about nor judging Maroney specifically here at all, just musing on the obsession with stats. Stats - especially averages - need context and consideration.

Try watching the games sometime, and compare them to the Colts games and Addai.

Last edited:
This argument would make perfect sense if we didnt have one of the best Offensive football teams in NFL history this year :rolleyes:

We have a better O then indy this year.

it goes to my earlier statement that Indy has a more run oriented offensive philosophy than NE does

you keep saying that you aren't a Maroney 'hater', and then keep trying to pile on

which way is it?

it goes to my earlier statement that Indy has a more run oriented offensive philosophy than NE does

you keep saying that you aren't a Maroney 'hater', and then keep trying to pile on

which way is it?

Im not a maroney hater. I am a person who feels Maroney is not what people on here claim. I feel he has good talent , but is injury prone.

I also feel that he is not a good short yardage back.

I love how this "non-Homer", "objective critic", "honest fan" hammering is being worn as some badge of honor.

Im as objective as they come, but at some point, it just serves no purpose. Like now, for example. While my team is unbeaten and rolling every team in sight.

Why would I wanna hammer Maroney now again? Because he gets pulled on the goalline while Brady breaks a TD record and the team is scoring at a record pace? Because they utilize far less valuable players in short yardage? Because they utilize one of the best 3rd down backs in the league? A team captain and a guy with 3 rings worth of experience? Who's steady getting the job done? Because Maroney's only real backup is done for the year and thus the team is working him less than it would otherwise? Id hammer Maroney for all these reasons why again? Because he isnt looking like a top 10 back like Willie Parker who's scored a whopping 2 whole TDs? Because he isnt living up to the standard of Joseph Addai? Are we being serious here? Is this really nessecary? That's all Id like to know. Why? What are we getting out of all of this again? Are you guys mailing these 'non-Homer' notes in to the coaching staff? Sounds like pretty imporant stuff that those guys would need to know. I sure hope Bill Belichick checks this board from time to time, because he really needs to know how much the starting RB on his unbeaten team sucks. Keep up the good work, guys.

I'm getting statistical brain-freeze today. But I do wonder this: Is yards per carry unequivocally' the most important category' for a RB?

Is back who reliably racks up 3 yards at a time on second and 2 or third and 2 less important or 'worse' than a back who doesn't get tough yards but breaks some nice 20+ yard runs to create a high ypc figure?

Is a back with an awesome ypc figure who misses 4-5 games every season 'better' than one who has less gaudy numbers but is tough and durable?

I'm not talking about nor judging Maroney specifically here at all, just musing on the obsession with stats. Stats - especially averages - need context and consideration.

If that were the case, they ypc would be slanted. However, in Maroney's case he hasn't broken a bunch of long runs and, in fact leads the league in first down yardage and is third in footballoutsiders' success rate.

They guy has been good. He just needs to prove he can stay healthy to become great.

I love how this "non-Homer", "objective critic", "honest fan" hammering is being worn as some badge of honor.

Im as objective as they come, but at some point, it just serves no purpose. Like now, for example. While my team is unbeaten and rolling every team in sight.

Why would I wanna hammer Maroney now again? Because he gets pulled on the goalline while Brady breaks a TD record and the team is scoring at a record pace? Because they utilize far less valuable players in short yardage? Because they utilize one of the best 3rd down backs in the league? A team captain and a guy with 3 rings worth of experience? Who's steady getting the job done? Because Maroney's only real backup is done for the year and thus the team is working him less than it would otherwise? Id hammer Maroney for all these reasons why again? Because he isnt looking like a top 10 back like Willie Parker who's scored a whopping 2 whole TDs? Because he isnt living up to the standard of Joseph Addai? Are we being serious here? Is this really nessecary? That's all Id like to know. Why? What are we getting out of all of this again? Are you guys mailing these 'non-Homer' notes in to the coaching staff? Sounds like pretty imporant stuff that those guys would need to know. I sure hope Bill Belichick checks this board from time to time, because he really needs to know how much the starting RB on his unbeaten team sucks. Keep up the good work, guys.

This is a place fans can discuss players. Are you ******ed?

This is a place fans can discuss players. Are you ******ed?

Typically, discussions require purpose. Define yours, and Ill proudly upgrade my mental state.

Hey patsox. The guy presented proof of his claims. Just accept it. As much as you call out everyone for hating on Maroney you are clearly far to much of a homer to accept any rational argument from the other side. You just cannot accept any type of critasism of a pats player. You claim you can , but clearly cannot.

Danny, this is a ridiculous straw-man argument you're making. I have NO PROBLEM with "critasism" (Jr. High says hello) of a Pats player. I don't even have a problem with criticism (note the spelling, recess boy) of Laurence Maroney.

What I DO have a problem with is RIDICULOUS, over-the-top, obtuse criticism of ANY player (Maroney or otherwise, Patriot or not) that is misleading, short-sighted, impatient or childish. As these words tend to describe (to a T) any and all of YOUR posts, and those of the "Maroney is made of glass/LoMar is a bust" crowd, I think it's best to just bypass you all for now, and look forward to Maroney proving you wrong and chasing you, or at least your pathetically lame "arguments," the Hell off this site.

Now go get your shine-box.

Well, I'd like to talk about Maroney specifically in this context. Football Outsiders has a stat that measures just that, consistency in picking up needed yarsds. It's called success rate. Maroney is third in the entire NFL.

Well, I'd like to talk about Maroney specifically in this context. Football Outsiders has a stat that measures just that, consistency in picking up needed yarsds. It's called success rate. Maroney is third in the entire NFL.

Please don't confuse the youngsters with "facts."

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back