PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What was the craziest Patriots rumor you heard this offseason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

livinginthe past

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Negative Pre-season Storylines: A Patriots 2011 Compilation

I thought it would be interesting to compile a list of the various gripes, real or imagined, for posterity.

Or to look back and laugh at @ the week 8 stage.

Feel free to add your own.

1. Chad OchoCinco has failed to grasp the offense, therefore will always fail to grasp the offense. Too slow to 'take the top off the defense', even though that wasn't why he was brought here.

2. Albert Haynesworth - hugely overweight (despite being not nearly the size of some of the other DT's on the roster) and a lazy malcontent. Yet another sign of Belichicks oversized ego - just because he's done it numerous times before (Dillon, Moss etc) doesn't mean he can do it again.

3. Deoin Branch. No catches in preseason. For those of us that follow preseason we know hoe hugely important this is. Should we just cut the guy?

4. The DB's. The Safeties are in disarray - fans are angry at the cutting of of James Sanders, but only because it make the cutting of 'over-rated' Merriweather all the more unlikely. Bodden can't stay healthy, Arrington is a talentless little overachiever and McCourty looks like he has regressed.

5, Shane Vereen. Has bust written all over him. Only took the field for one pre-season game. Why did we pick this 'made of glass' luxury pick when we could have picked pass rushing phenom Brooks Reed?

Last edited:
Re: Negative Pre-season Storylines: A Patriots 2011 Compilation

6. Brandon Spikes saga

7. Meriweather saga

8. Ras-I Dowling is made of glass.

Those are the ones that come to mind off the top of my head.

9. The offensive line is a sieve and is going to get Brady killed.

10. The draft: Belichick has lost it, why didn't he draft a pass rushing OLB?

11. The NY Post story, where BB and the Pats are panicking and desperate, as evidence by trading for Haynesworth, Ochocinco, and drafting Mallett.

12. Pretty much every player that was brought in for an interview or workout is evidence that the Pats are worried and desperate about that position, and it also means they are about to cut somebody.

13. I recall someone saying that BB blew it by wasting a draft pick on Marcus Cannon

14. Questioning why Danny Woodhead was playing in a preseason game because he got hurt. Ditto for every other player injured in preseason.

15. Angst over Leigh Bodden not playing, leading to speculation that he will be cut.

16. Fans concluding that because Brandon Meriweather did not start the final game of the preseason, that is evidence he will be cut.

17. Any mention or sighting of either Brandon Tate or Darius Butler.

9. The offensive line is a sieve and is going to get Brady killed. 17. Any mention or sighting of either Brandon Tate or Darius Butler.

By far the most tiresome.

Shorty after the lockout lifted and player movement began, one of the guys at work (a Patriots fan, not a lot of us around where I live in Texas) came in telling about a trade that was in the works. I can't remember what website he said he saw it on but I remember it was well known enough for me to be interested in what he had to say. He told me we were trying to trade Woodhead, Kevin Faulk and a mid round pick to Baltimore for Ray Lewis.

Instantly, I called bull crap because at the time, Faulk wasn't signed. (he said we were going to sign him, then add him to the trade) Second, why would Baltimore trade for 2 RBs, one of which was coming off a torn ACL? Finally, why would a top AFC team be trading away a guy like Lewis to a team that could possibly stand in their way of a Super Bowl?

I don't know if it was just satire or he was looking at a message board section of the site and some fan proposed it or he was just trying to pull my leg but I never believed it and never saw anything on the site when I got home.

That being said, I still debated the trade with him. I would have hated to lose Woodhead, who is a very important part of our offense. But duuuuude, Ray Lewis?!! We were still running a 3-4 at that time and he would definitely be that hard hitting, emotional leader we've wanted for this defense.

"Trading for Albert Haynesworth"
"Cutting Brandon Merriweather"

LOL yeah right

I heard that Brady was gay this offseason. I think I had heard it before, but couldn't be sure...

:bricks:

"Trading for Albert Haynesworth"
"Cutting Brandon Merriweather"

LOL yeah right

Throw in trading for Ocho and cutting Sanders and it's just plain crazy talk.

(Seriously, how can we discount ANY rumored move in the future?)

Heard that TFB went spray tanning, had botox injections, and frolicked down a water-slide looking like Little Richard sliding into a sea of penis.

wait... :bricks:

Moss ready to come back!:bricks:

I heard a rumor that Abrayo Franklin was being signed. That would've given them two 3-4 NTs and 1 4-3 DT :lol2:

When someone said we were going to release Haynesworth and Ocho before the season even started.

That Peyton Manning was making derogatory comments about Belichick being a pain in the neck.

Heard that after the Red Sox finish Tampa Bay Sunday, they are dropping off pitchers John Lackey, Matt Albers, Andrew Miller and Tim Wakefield in Miami. Sox to loan players to Patriots who intend to use them on their kamikaze kickoff unit.

What was the craziest Patriots rumor you heard this offseason?

That we'd sign Haynesworth and Ochocinco and that Meriweather and Sanders would both be cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back