PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What LB do you want?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't want you to feel lonely with the folks dissatisfied with poor TBC, I listed him as the #1 priority for re-signing in earlier discussions. I expect him to be coming back for Jarvis Green money.

I agree that signing TBC should be a priority. While my number one is Graham, I think signing Samual and TBC need to be up there as well. As has been pointed out, this was his first year of significant playing time. While LB needs to be addressed in the draft, let's not think that we're going to draft someone who's going to just come in and start. That makes TBC's signing, as well as FA a priority.

With the number of good LB's in the draft, we do have some options. In the early early rounds, many of the top pics will need to add some weight to hold up in our 3/4. I like Simmons from an athletic stand point. While I haven't seen him play, the talk of Bradley has me intrigued for a mid round pick if he's still there. I also like Bishop after the first few rounds. I like Willis's leadership and toughness. If Poslusky falls into the early/mid 2nd, I think he will be a Patriot. Having not seen DeOssie, can anyone provide some insight?

With needs at LB, CB and S, I think we could go in a lot of different directions depending on how the draft unfolds. I do see us taking two LB's in the draft.

Last edited:
Box_O_Rocks said:
Don't want you to feel lonely with the folks dissatisfied with poor TBC, I listed him as the #1 priority for re-signing in earlier discussions. I expect him to be coming back for Jarvis Green money.

I agree that TBC will probably be brought back in a capacity similar to Green and a similar contract. I think he had a decent year but I don't think he's an every down player against some teams. San Diego being the most glaring from this year.

I just want the best coverage ILB we can get. Whether it's a full time 3 down stud in the first round or a passing down only guy who comes in for 2nd and 3rd and long taken in the 4th round - I don't care but we HAVE TO get better coverage ability in the short to medium depths of the middle of the field.

I have a huge list of great potential linebackers to pick from. Unfortunately, they were all from last year. That class was deep. This one looks much thinner, especially for ILB's that fit our system. Sooo...if we can get one of the difference makers in the first, great. If we can get a mid rounder with all the tools to grow into a complete ILB with time, but can play run stuffer from day one, great. If we can get the same kid who can play a coverage role from day one, great. Either one allows us to move Vrabel back outside on first and second downs, and then back inside on third with TBC opposite Clovin outside.

why don't you guys just sign donnie edwards in FA, i know the pats love ex chargers, and i'm hoping you do because knowing the pats will win their division again, donnie should play very well and get us a 3rd round comp pick in the 08 draft.

why don't you guys just sign donnie edwards in FA, i know the pats love ex chargers, and i'm hoping you do because knowing the pats will win their division again, donnie should play very well and get us a 3rd round comp pick in the 08 draft.
I doubt Edwards will get that kind of contract, 3rd round comp picks are very rare. A 4th is fully reasonable though.

Edwards and Fletcher are two vets I like and I think one of them is more likely than a high draft choice.

Isn't Edwards under contract but with at an unacceptable number a la Willie McG last year? No comp picks for a player who's cut...

Isn't Edwards under contract but with at an unacceptable number a la Willie McG last year? No comp picks for a player who's cut...
Indeed, you are correct.

nah he's a FA , i'm pretty sure 06 was the last year in his contract

http://weblog.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/cfx/2007/01/cfx_contract_tracker_1.html#more

Unrestricted Free Agents (UFA) are players who have completed four or more accrued seasons of service and whose contracts have expired. They are free to sign with any club through July 22 (or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, whichever is later). On July 23, their exclusive rights will revert to their original club if that club made a June 1 tender to these players. Teams will have until the Tuesday after the 10th week of the season (November 14) to sign their unrestricted veteran free agents to whom a tender was made on June 1. If the player does not sign by November 14, he must continue to sit out the remainder of the season. If a June 1 tender is not made to a UFA, he continues to be free to sign with any club.

Donnie Edwards
Kris Dielman
Carlos Polk
Randall Godfrey (Expected to retire)
Leander Jordan
Cory Withrow
Az Hakim

i expect sd to longterm dielman , let donnie leave via FA, let godfrey decide if he's going to retire or sign a 1 year contract and stay, let jordan leave via FA , probably tender withrow and let him test FA, no idea what they do with hakim.

edit: oops forgot polk, he's good for ST but easily replaceable.

Last edited:

I like Edwards, but I think he's too small to fit in here. Plus, I'd like to get younger at LB.

I like Edwards, but I think he's too small to fit in here. Plus, I'd like to get younger at LB.
I can see Edwards in Phifer's old role. San Diego plays the 3-4 closer to Blitzburgh than NE, I can see a Willis with his speed fitting in better there as an Edwards replacement than here - horrifying prospect that it is! I was hoping Wade would go to Dallas and get jonesed, putting the burden back on Marty.

I don't think that is even a subject for discussion. He is the next Mike man, and Coach on the field. Regardless of hisi abilities ar ILB, which are OK, he has the play calling ability that a ILB must have to direct the Defense and set it up. Especially if we have a younger athlete playing alongside in a year or two, without the experience.

I dont know what you are trying to say..?

yeah he is like a safety playing LB

he's great in coverage but his run support is lacking

IMO, we need to stop thinking in terms of 4-3 LB's as 3rd down coverage backers. Our loss to the Colts' hurry-up offense is the perfect example of why. Not having time to change personnel will be a continuing problem next year when we play any team who is capable of running it. If that means we need to go for a 3-down stud ILB, so be it. Seau could handle it, but it's doubtful he'll be back, IMO. Bruschi probably only has one more year, and needs support from youth that he can train.

Would you trade up a few spots for get Willis? Maybe throw in a 3rd or 4th if you could get him the first?

Would you trade up a few spots for get Willis? Maybe throw in a 3rd or 4th if you could get him the first?

No I wouldn't, if he is there at 24 and they like him fine but I haven't heard anyone refer to him a "special" or a game breaker.

Do you think there are any rookie LB's that can make a difference this year if we draft one? I am not talking about starting in week one but speaking more in the latter half of the year and playoff's. How long is the learning curve do you suppose to play LB in our system.

Do you think there are any rookie LB's that can make a difference this year if we draft one? I am not talking about starting in week one but speaking more in the latter half of the year and playoff's. How long is the learning curve do you suppose to play LB in our system.

That is a very good question. I do think that Willis and Pos could be in fine form by midseason. I would love Willis at 24 and Pos at 28. CB can come in round 2 or trade up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes