PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What if BB is moving to the "3-4 Over" defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wilfork definely needs to go, get a 1st for him in a tag and trade. I also don't think Kraft wants to pay bigi bucks when there's probably going to be a stoppage next year.

A good DC would find a way to maximize the talents of his defense. It seems we had the same vanilla 3-4 no presure on the QB defense, let them have all the short passes they can hit defense. No originality, no pressure.

One thing I've noticed is that the offense uses keys to try to see what the defense is doing...they'll shift players etc. But the defense just sits there, why don't they shift and do something to confuse the hell out of the offense? Kind of the walking around defense that they used one week.

I don't think you can just say "assume Wilfork is gone" because it's far from the case. And with regard to switching defensive styles, I have to believe that BB's preference for a 2-gap style has more to do with defensive philosophy than with what players he has. Wilfork came in from a 1-gap defense. Not sure whether Seymour played 2-gap at Georgia.

In any case, 2-gap is just a technique and can certainly be taught. And any time there's a blitz or stunt, that automatically means 1-gap technique. So the DL really practices both. And I would think the only way they would switch to exclusively 1-gap is if BB has a change of philosophy.

Again, this thread is not for debating whether or not the Pats have or are or will change defensive schemes or for debating the merits thereof or the reasons why. This thread is simply for discussing what players would or would not fit, IF THE SCHEME WAS CHANGED. I proposed a specific "scenario" for such a change in which, arbitrarily, Wilfork is likely gone in a tag-and-trade.

Appreciate your thoughts and believe they have a lot of merit in a larger discussion about the Pats defense, but that's not really the game we're trying to play in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3