PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What do the Mock Drafts think the Pats are going to do at #21?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now I'm going with Carpenter. Many like Manny Lawson but he could be a "boom or bust" pick. Carpenter is more of a sure thing and can play both OLB/ILB.

We are a year away from taking a RB in the first round. Corey still has a good year left. Next years class wil be just as good in RB.

There is plenty of depth in the 2nd and 3rd rounds for a #2 or #3 WR. Same with RB's, we could go until round 4 and still pick a guy as good as the 2nd rounder.

So, with 4 weeks to go I'm still high on Carpenter. But either Greenway or Lawson won't be bad either.

PATSNUTme said:
There is plenty of depth in the 2nd and 3rd rounds for a #2 or #3 WR. Same with RB's, we could go until round 4 and still pick a guy as good as the 2nd rounder.
We're pretty much on the same page, I'm looking at WR in round 3 and TE in round 2. Watson and Graham can't stay healthy together and Graham is a UFA in 12 months. Unless we think he'll be an easy sign, I'm looking at a Klopenstein in round 2.

I'm hoping for :

1) LB, right now Carpenter.
2) Klopsnstein
3a) One of the WR, Stovall, Avant, Hass, etc.
3b, 4a, 4b) I'd be looking at another WR, another LB and a CB unless we sign Warfield.

At 3a I would take Drew if he were there and hit the WR hard with 3b, 4a, 4b.

I'm hoping 1. Carpenter 2. Maybe Klopenstein/Maybe WR, I'm thinking more wide reciever right now being the more immediate need 3a. RB/WR if not yet addressed 3b. CB 4a/4b. Probably more help at WR if we took Klopenstein/LB

I'm with you guys on Carpenter, i'm thinking RB on Day ! as well.
But is Carpenter going to be there at 21? I'm not 100% sure.

look at 'intangibles'

BelichickFan said:
We're pretty much on the same page, I'm looking at WR in round 3 and TE in round 2. Watson and Graham can't stay healthy together and Graham is a UFA in 12 months. Unless we think he'll be an easy sign, I'm looking at a Klopenstein in round 2.
I'm hoping for :
1) LB, right now Carpenter.
2) Klopsnstein
3a) One of the WR, Stovall, Avant, Hass, etc.
3b, 4a, 4b) I'd be looking at another WR, another LB and a CB unless we sign Warfield.
At 3a I would take Drew if he were there and hit the WR hard with 3b, 4a, 4b.
i can't see any difference in the probablity of success for carpenter vs. greenway. 2 possible variables: injury status -- carpenter's leg vs greenway's ankle, hamstring. of course they had to have known about claridge's knee, right?
variable #2 -- BB/SP choices almost always have 'leader', 'smart', 'a little mean', 'coachable' in their reports.
will be really surprised if patriots draft a LB 1st round, with 2 developmental guys on the roster. trades & FA didn't work out well, so maybe they'll traft the draft route this year. if they do another LB, IMO TBC and klecko are outa here and the projects are over.
BB/SP have tried the 4-5th round RB thing, with little success (antoine walker, cedric cobbs). they may pick one there, but IMO they's try to get some pedigree if the draft one at all. true, we may see another year of corey next year, and a 4-5th round understudy. that's what we saw with antowain. he looked like he was movving in slow motion, and there was still a SB ring.
on

CrazyDave said:
But is Carpenter going to be there at 21? I'm not 100% sure.
Carpenter should be there @ 21. Nothing is certain in the draft but 21 for Carpenter is actually considered a slight overdraft vs. a steal.

BelichickFan said:
Carpenter should be there @ 21. Nothing is certain in the draft but 21 for Carpenter is actually considered a slight overdraft vs. a steal.
I could live with that.

Oh, and just that I would throw out there that Bobby Carpenter has experience dropping down into a 3 point stance....more versatility.

holyredeemer said:
Oh, and just that I would throw out there that Bobby Carpenter has experience dropping down into a 3 point stance....more versatility.
Carpenter has a lot going for him, but moving backwards in pass coverage isn't one of them. How easily can that be learned, how important is that to Belichick/Pees are the questions.

JoeSixPat said:
I agree - not that I'd be shocked if they took an RB in the first round, but I think the knee jerk reaction of those who make up these mocks is that RB is the most obvious need.

It is, or will be a need, but that doesn't translate into what BB & SP will deem the best pick with the best value at #21 (and again, I'm predicting a deal with the Falcons to move up to #15)

Denver has Atlanta's #15, which was acquired in the John Abraham deal. What's the probability of Denver doing a deal for #15 on good terms with BB? How about slim and none?

Patriotic Fervor said:
Denver has Atlanta's #15, which was acquired in the John Abraham deal. What's the probability of Denver doing a deal for #15 on good terms with BB? How about slim and none?
more none than slim

BelichickFan said:
Drew would be a rock solid shot, someone with potential at RB who can also help on kick returns. But I'm not excited about a RB in round 1 unless they love Maroney.

If they could go LB in the first and Drew in the second, I would be on Cloud 9.

I look at it like this. As long as Brady is our QB, this will be a pass first team! Period! And quite frankly it should be!

To me Drew just reminds me of a Brian Westbrook. NO, he isn't going to get you the tough yards up the middle. But I believe he is a threat to go the distance every time he lines up in the backfield.

And mainly because him lined up in the backfield means you still have to play the pass.

How many times did we see Faulk come in and break decent size runs because teams saw him come in and played the pass.

Now give faulk Maurice Drew speed!

I'm really high on this kid, but in the Brian Westbrook mold!

If he is somehow sitting there in the second, I don't see how the Pats could pass on him (which almost certainly gaurantees they will pass on him if he is there).

For some reason, I keep getting this feeling the Indy may grab him in the first!

That'll make me vomit!

Last edited:
sarge said:
You do remember that there were times last year where our lead backs were Heath Evans and Mike Cloud with Amos Zeroue as the backup?

Not that I think it is a sure thing they draft RB in the first (I personally am hoping for Maurice Drew in the second), but it is a glaring weakness!

Yep. I remember that. However, I also remember that we had 3 rbs go down to get to that point. The likelyhood of that happening again is remote.

However, I think that BB drafting a RB would got 100% against what he has taught. And that is that the games are won in the trenches. That's why he's drafted 2 DEs, 1 NT, 2 TEs and 2 OLs with the 1st picks that he's had in every draft since he got here. Only 1 of those 7 picks is not with the team anymore. The other 6 are starters. Figure that BB will look, again, for the trenches. And that would include the OLB in the 3-4 Defense. Just like the TEs are included in the offense.

sarge said:
If they could go LB in the first and Drew in the second, I would be on Cloud 9.

I look at it like this. As long as Brady is our QB, this will be a pass first team! Period! And quite frankly it should be!

To me Drew just reminds me of a Brian Westbrook. NO, he isn't going to get you the tough yards up the middle. But I believe he is a threat to go the distance every time he lines up in the backfield.

And mainly because him lined up in the backfield means you still have to play the pass.

How many times did we see Faulk come in and break decent size runs because teams saw him come in and played the pass.

Now give faulk Maurice Drew speed!

I'm really high on this kid, but in the Brian Westbrook mold!

If he is somehow sitting there in the second, I don't see how the Pats could pass on him (which almost certainly gaurantees they will pass on him if he is there).

For some reason, I keep getting this feeling the Indy may grab him in the first!

That'll make me vomit!

I don't see Drew going in the second round. He might, but I don't think he'll go there. I think he'll go in the 3rd. I think that the Colts will end up drafting LenDale White, honestly.

I wouldn't mind the Pats drafting Maurice Drew. But I also wouldn't mind them drafting Addai either.

Even though they signed Warfield, I am not certain they are "set" at CB.

My "ultimate" draft would be as follows: (with the assumption that Lawson was off the board)
1st round: Marshall - CB
2nd round: Addai - RB
3rd round (a): Mark Anderson - DE/OLB
3rd round (b): Hank Baskett - WR
4th round (a): Chris Gocong -
4th round (b): David Thomas - TE
5th round : Chris Chester - C
6th round (a): Chris Kuper - G
6th round (b): Matt Bernstein - FB/TE
6th round (c): Josh Huston - K
7th round (a): Carlton Jones - RB

If Lawson was still on the board:
1st round: Lawson - OLB
2nd round: Daryn Colledge - OT
3rd round (a): Maurice Drew - RB
3rd round (b): Mike Hass - WR
4th round (a): Greg Eslinger - C
4th round (b): Chris Gocong - DE/ILB
5th round : Montavius Stanley - NT
6th round (a): Paul Pinegar - QB
6th round (b): Matt Bernstein - FB/TE
6th round (c): Josh Huston - K
7th round (a): Carlton Jones - RB

All over the place Mocks??

two things I consider here is we have never taken a RB in round 1 in BB regime but there is no doubt going to be a lot available.

BB usually follows jimmy Johnsons rule of taking the players he likes even if it is early ie Watson, Makins, Hobbs so Marshall is not unrealistic.

I would like LB but I heard greenway workout was not that good 19 bench presses is a little light when Bush does 23 and speed and injury was a concern. Carpenter is intriguing but 21 would be early for him

Is it possible we may trade down to have a high number 2, BB takes his guy or Best player available. If BPA is a RB I say he trades down.

b72s said:
Is it possible we may trade down to have a high number 2, BB takes his guy or Best player available. If BPA is a RB I say he trades down.
Unfortunately this is a trade down draft, many teams will be looking to do it making it tough to be in the right place at the right time. RB may be the best shot we have if Maroney is there (I would imagine the Colts would like to trade up for him) but with the demise of LenDale, I expect Maroney will be gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents