PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What a surprise - Falcons want to change OT rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
BREAKING NEWS: The Falcons want to change the Red Zone to the No Sack Zone but will settle for No Holding Call Zone.

"But Ryan was sacked when the ball was at the 22 yard line"

BREAKING NEWS: The Falcons want to extend the No Sack Zone (Originally known as the Red Zone) to the 25 yard line.

I'm surprised it took this long.

Falcons GM Wants To Change NFL Overtime Rules After Super Bowl Loss To Patriots

Sorry Tom, I know you're a Pats guy and everything, but this reeks of sour grapes..... You knew the rules. You don't want to lose on a coin flip in overtime? Then don't give up 25 unanswered points at the end of regulation.

If he thinks it's unfair for him to have the opponent have the ball first in OT, he needs to talk to those people here who have argued vigorously that the SECOND team has the advantage.

As a counter to these suggestions made by teams unable to cope with a loss to New England, the Patriots should submit a proposal modeled on championship prize fighting; to wit, "If the contest is tied at the end of regulation, the team that has won the most Super Bowls is awarded the Lombardi Trophy."

I'm glad they changed the OT rules like they did so it wasn't whoever kicks a field goal just wins, so it's better.

If they wanted to add a whole quarter to playoff games and the superbowl for OT, that'd be fine with me. Then it's just timed like the rest of the game.

Things would probably get pretty silly in the end, though, between exhaustion, nerves, etc.

But, yea, complain about the rules sometime when it doesn't seem like sour grapes and self-serving.

losing teams are always fighting the last war.

After the Pats first SB loss to the Giants I think I rechecked the score for about four days after to make sure nobody forgot to add some points somewhere in hindsight.

Here's my problem with this and what I would ask falcon fans what happens after you get the ball? **** I will even spot you everything going right on that next drive and it's now tied 35-35. It's now sudden death and Brady has the ball. Are you seriously going to tell me anything changes Besides the pats winning 38-35 instead of 34-28? The way Brady and their defense were playing nothing would have been any different even if they did get a possesion.

Patriots propose the rule: "If a franchise has played but not won the Super Bowl in 50 years, it will be disbanded."

So in 2022 the Patriots are the only team in the AFCE or would that be in 2023? Just want to get the rule straight.

So, the OT rule change didn't get passed, but:

• Headshot ejections got passed
  • Penalizing jumping on FG attempts got passed
  • The already ridiculous defenseless receiver rule got expanded
  • Penalizing crackback blocks by moving running backs, even if they're in tight when the ball is snapped
  • The peep show replay machines are being replaced by wireless tablets, which seems kind of useless, because...
  • Centralized review got passed
  • Penalizing the committing of multiple fouls during the same down designed to manipulate the game clock, as a personal foul
  • Penalizing actions to conserve time illegal after the two-minute warning of either half.
On the one hand, I don't want Brady to ever decline, or retire. On the other hand, I can't wait for Brady to retire, so that I can stop watching this increasingly ridiculous game.

Atlanta did have a chance to score - Alford had a pick-6, right? Football is a team game - both offense and defense. The current rules are pretty balanced. The stronger the offenses, the more the first team is favored. The stronger the defenses, the more the 2nd team benefits. If the first team does not score, a huge advantage to the 2nd team - they can win with a FG.

After the Pats first SB loss to the Giants I think I rechecked the score for about four days after to make sure nobody forgot to add some points somewhere in hindsight.
After that loss i went into a state of denial and depression for four months

If you can't stop a Team from scoring a TD too bad. Also blowing a 25 pts lead there is a First time for everything...I think the NFL will throw the book at him the game is long enough already.
I hate to seem paranoid, but if this gets seen as "hurting the Patriots" (it doesn't, but that may be the perception) then it has a chance.

Sorry for the awkward sentence structure. (Parenthesis do that. :) )

arthur-blank-nfl-atlanta-falcons-san-francisco-49ers.jpg I vote no overtime whatsoever starting last year. Please! I need to walk off the field without putting my tail between my legs. Pretty please Roger.

It's like watching a sport run by a bunch spoiled teen-aged girls and the worst of them was named commissioner.

The difference being, of course, that actual teenaged girls grow and mature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back