PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What a complete, utter over reaction!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is hard for me to reconcile is the lack of effort from top to bottom. I think the Patriots went into this game expecting the Lions to also treat it as a preseason game, and were bowled over by the intensity. Brady getting hit that many times was absolutely inexcusable. Detroit went into this game to win it, the Patriots went into it to evaluate some players/situations. The teams were playing "different games," in a manner of speaking. BB took the blame for not having his team properly prepared, and I think he deserved it.
The Lions watched how the pats treat the Bucs game last week. I'm sure they weren't going to let that happen to them. They came out expecting the pats to play like it was a regular season game. The Pats didn't hold up their end of the bargin for what ever reason.

A lot of the hits on Brady were on slow developing plays.
We dont' play a preseason game to do what will work best against what the other team does, but to work on what we need to work on. If the bullets were live, we wouldn't have attacked the same way. That doesnt mean it isn't a problem, because you would like to not have to scheme around your OL getting punked, but it is what it is.

The Lions played no huddle and executed to a T.....I agree we looked lethargic and weak and the plays took to long...bad adjustments from the coaching staff..

So it is relevant to say they need a deep threat because they lost the AFRCC in 2006, but irrelevant to say they won it all without one 3 times?
Did football change?
BTW, arguably we only had a deep threat 2 years since BB has been here since Cassell didnt use Moss in 08, and we have won more than anyone. Does that count in 2011, or did the NFL start in 2007? BTW, we have never won a SB WITH a deep threat, and are 2-2 with one and 12-3 without one in the playoffs.

Bottom line is 2011 has only 1 receiver from 2007. There isn't a Moss,Branch,Stallworth,Givens argument to make me believe their is a reason to have a deep threat or a reason not to have one for 2011.

I could easily compare both arguments from 2007 and 2010 as both failures. Deep threat vs controled passing attack. Both had an excellent shot to win it all and whiffed.

2001 2003 and 4 had different circumstances and coaches,personal,opposition.
Success? sure but not relevent to todays team.

I believe that yesterdays game was was a gift by the pats to for the lions in order to build up the hype.....

the lions will be sold out for most of the season now

The team will be lucky to win a single game this year. Frankly, Kraft should just fold the team and find another hobby. You just don't recover from an exhibition season loss...

Last edited:
the sky is falling...

pack it in boys and girls, the season is over...

let us now turn our attention to the 2012 draft!

:bricks:

Tom Brady and Chad have yet to develop any kind of chemistry. Reminds me of Brady/Galloway a couple of years ago.

Chad Johnson was traded to the Patriots on July 29th. He's been with the team less than a month. He's coming from a number system, where he's played all his NFL career, and is being asked to get a grasp in a read and react offensive system.

These things actually matter and it usually takes time to adjust. Players like Gaffney have demonstrated this to be true.

Last edited:
Based off of a preseason game. It's comical.

I have have heard individuals claim Tom Brady can't cut it under pressure and then compare this loss to the likes of current playoff defeats. Lets not forget the refs are out to get us according to some. And Chad isn't a capable NFL receiver.

BTW Welker has just been IR'D along with JE. Woodhead is now the slot receiver.:bricks:

Not sure about over-reactions, but the refs did seem to favor Detroit from the start of the game. From the BS call on Chad to the non-call on Suh for his punch at Mankins while standing right in front of the ref.

The loss of Connolly was a big one. Ohrnberger clearly isn't a capable replacement at OG. Center, he looks like he might be adequate, but even that is debateable.

It is fair to be concerned about Welker and Edelman as none of the other receivers really stepped up against Detroit. Not sure what happened, but after the 1st Pats drive, the TEs were invisible.

I continue to be underwhelmed by Will Yeatman. Crappy blocker. maybe a decent receiver. Slow as hell though.

I Don't see Sammy Morris making this team unless Vereen and Ridley continue to miss time.

Tate's time is running out. Edelman showed he should be able to handle kick return duties. Price, though, didn't do much to impress me.

It sucked to come back and see that Cox and Lockett both had been IRed. Lockett can't seem to catch a break other than a part of his body.

Pats are hurting at Safety. I don't think Ihedigbo (whom I've disliked since the week 11 game against the Jets in 2008) is the answer, though the Pats may not have much option.

Deep threat this, Deep threat that. I'm sick of hearing about it. Until they put an O-Line in front of Brady that can BLOCK, there will be no need for a deep threat on this team. :mad:

That game last night disgusted me. Not because they lost, but because they didn't compete at all. They got pushed around all night.

I'm sick of hearing how the starting O-line can't block. They can and did block. Right up until the point that Connolly left the game. Then, they had a lot of issues.

The other issue I have with your statement is that it thoroughly insults the Detroit D-line. If you can't give credit to them for playing extremely well, then you are the issue. Not the Patriots O-line.

The team will be lucky to win a single game this year. Frankly, Kraft should just fold the team and find another hobby. You just don't recover from an exhibition season loss...

Darn!! You beat me to it, D.I.

Read his career stats and if you consider that good, stop following football.

Dude. You just proved that you should be ignored. Stats aren't everything.

Tate was used, primarily on special teams his first three seasons, but he did get some receiving work. He had started to break out as a Senior before he tore his ACL and MCL during his 6th game of the season.

I'm not going to say that he was better than Nicks or whatever, but Tate had made some great strides between his junior and senior year. He was also being touted as a potential 1st round pick because of those strides. And that was occuring up until his injury.

Your posts show you clearly hate the guy. Why? I don't know nor do I care. But, your bias against him makes your posts worthless as well.

In the aftermath of the meltdown the Pats experienced yesterday, let's take a moment to appreciate what a fine team the Lions are becoming:

1) their DL is consistently good with a chance for being great -- if they can sustain their game throughout the season.
2) The have some WRs -- who knew the veteran Burleson would match/beat Calvin Johnson and their WRs are all tall, physical and fast
3) good TEs including Sheffler and Pettigrew
4) even Shaun King and Stanton had their way yesterday. Not to overstate but they impressed with their quick passing game and accuracy.
5) Stafford is a star in the making -- if the OLine can keep him whole.

The surprise may be if the Lions don't make it to the playoffs.

As for the Pats, some real wake up calls. Most worrying are the OL, and Brady's performance. He just didn't play well. And he took some punishment. Let's hope all those calluses he seemed to welcome verbally -- have not done much physical damage and he is OK. If Brady emerges healthy, the Pats can fight another day.

I think the Pats know its a long season and when the important games begin. Detroit wanted to prove themselves and every game is important to them. This happened in that silly Carolina game awhile back too. Who cares. The preseason has never meant anything and never will.

The over reactive attitude on this board has really made this an uninformative and boring place.

Last edited:
I'm sick of hearing how the starting O-line can't block. They can and did block. Right up until the point that Connolly left the game. Then, they had a lot of issues.

The other issue I have with your statement is that it thoroughly insults the Detroit D-line. If you can't give credit to them for playing extremely well, then you are the issue. Not the Patriots O-line.

Agreed. The Pats o-line is taking a lot of the heat that should be aimed at Brady himself. Vollmer did play like crud though. Ohrnberger did what he could against a mutant human being.

The saying that gets used to tell people to calm down after a good preseason game is the same one that should be used for posters getting ready to jump from the Bourne bridge after a bad preseason effort..
Its a good thing Irene hit town and made if hard to get to the local bridges.

Correct.

The Patriots proved that you could go 14-2 without a deep threat last year.

They also proved that you can be ousted in the first round of the playoffs, after going 14-2, if you play against a team that exploits your weaknesses.

Trust me, I remember full well - after 2006 there were plenty of people who noted correctly that the Patriots could contend with Reche Caldwell as a deep threat WR.

That didn't stop Belichick from signing both Donte Stallworth and Randy Moss to compete for deep threat duties and then cut Reche Caldwell- the guy everyone said we could win a Super Bowl with, who barely played another game of football again.

I think Belichick understood that just because you CAN win games with major strategic weaknesses, that doesn't mean you accept that in the offseason.

Back to reality - don't expect anyone to be happy about watching Welker get injured and Brady and Ochocinco still not on the same page.
Oh really? I remember Randy Moss was on the team that got waxed in the playoffs by the Baltimore Ravens. Rebuttal?

Dude. You just proved that you should be ignored. Stats aren't everything.

Tate was used, primarily on special teams his first three seasons, but he did get some receiving work. He had started to break out as a Senior before he tore his ACL and MCL during his 6th game of the season.

I'm not going to say that he was better than Nicks or whatever, but Tate had made some great strides between his junior and senior year. He was also being touted as a potential 1st round pick because of those strides. And that was occuring up until his injury.

Your posts show you clearly hate the guy. Why? I don't know nor do I care. But, your bias against him makes your posts worthless as well.

No, stats aren't everything. Unless you are blind like you, just what the hell has anyone seen out of him on the field that would suggest he can be more than a 4th receiver.

Oh really? I remember Randy Moss was on the team that got waxed in the playoffs by the Baltimore Ravens. Rebuttal?

That game just needs to be thrown out for all of these types of issues. Brady was playing with a broken rib and finger. Moss had a separated shoulder. Welker was on crutches. Vince Wilfork and Ty Warren were coming off missing time. Mayo was still at 70% from his early season knee issue. Just a case of injuries hitting everybody important at the exact wrong time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back